Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

A GT to pull your GT3 to the track!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007 | 12:45 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmc
stay away from this car at all cost. if you have a pcar now you will be very unhappy with the finish and service you receive from the vw and dealerships. my v10tdi was hands down the worst car i ever owned and the worst ownership experience of my life. i will add that i absolutely loved the engine, the power (when working) and the ride of the air-suspension. i just could not deal with the incompetent vw dealer service or the lack of reliability and knowledgeable staff to service the car. if porsche ever put this power plant into an suv it might just work. oh, and might i add that the fuel milage left a lot to desire too, as i averaged 17mpg, and would hit 20-21 on the highway only on long trips.
I've heard many stories of Toureg problems. Not sure if this was more from the early gen models or all across the board...
Old 10-31-2007 | 02:22 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jeff
not yet but I live so close to WS (50 m) and ButtonWillow (100m)
and Fontana(100m) (laguna seca 5 hours, Thunderhill 6 hours, infinieon 6hours)
I dont know if its not worth it just to drive to the track.
Old 10-31-2007 | 02:29 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Well having driven the 4.4 I would have to say not much in common with the 4.8iS. Kinda like the TT vs. the S.
Interesting. I will have to test drive the new 4.8iS.
I drove the "old" style with the 4.8 and thought it was better than the 4.4, but not significantly. I guess the new ones are much improved. I do like the look of the new ones for sure.
You can't go wrong with the BMW anyway.
Old 10-31-2007 | 03:29 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmc
stay away from this car at all cost. if you have a pcar now you will be very unhappy with the finish and service you receive from the vw and dealerships. my v10tdi was hands down the worst car i ever owned and the worst ownership experience of my life. i will add that i absolutely loved the engine, the power (when working) and the ride of the air-suspension. i just could not deal with the incompetent vw dealer service or the lack of reliability and knowledgeable staff to service the car. if porsche ever put this power plant into an suv it might just work. oh, and might i add that the fuel milage left a lot to desire too, as i averaged 17mpg, and would hit 20-21 on the highway only on long trips.
Well, I am used to excellent VW dealers. The Touareg and the Cayenne are essentially the same car, just different trim/engines, even the stability system is the same, just different parms.

The finish on Touaregs in Germany is excellent. your car was quite obviously spoilt by the dealer. Better avoid the Panamera when it comes, another VAG car.

R+C
Old 10-31-2007 | 03:31 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
I've heard many stories of Toureg problems. Not sure if this was more from the early gen models or all across the board...
none as memorable as the time that Porsche issued a Cayenne recall, citing the reason for the recall being faulty work by Volkswagen. Sort of 'not our fault, we only stick our name on it'.

R+C
Old 10-31-2007 | 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

My Touareg has been perfect. Great interior, fantastic off road, wonderful for long trips, and can tow 8k.
Old 10-31-2007 | 04:47 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

I have a GT3. I want a car that is fun to drive every day in all types of conditions. Is the Cayenne really that bad? I have spent time in the X5 and we own a Q7. I liked the test drives I have had in the Cayenne. My impressions are: size and heft: Q7>X5>Cayenne, handling precision: Cayenne>X5>Q7. I am not expecting the Cayenne to be as fast as the GT3 or really much like it. I am expecting it to be reliable and satisfying as a daily driver in bad weather with some road manners. Sorry if this is OT but I enjoy the GT3 community opinions.
Old 10-31-2007 | 04:56 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Default 4.8 X5 towing

I currently have an '05 X5 4.4 and want to upgrade to the new '08 X5 4.8. What is the recommendation for the trailer hitch and tow package? Does the dealer install a BMW part or do you go with an aftermarket hitch and tow package?

Thanks for the information. I need a tow vehicle for my GT3 and my wife wants to stick with BMW.
Old 10-31-2007 | 05:45 PM
Moogle
Race Car

The manual transmission is a novelty item on the GTS. DO you really want an SUV with manual? stuck in city traffic/etc?

Let's not forget the free maintenance on BMWs
Old 10-31-2007 | 06:55 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yea I got 100K free pass on my 4.8is, dont want a stick if towing either.

I dont know why they stopped making the 4.8is. The 08 4.8i has less HP than my 4.8is. I dont know
why?
Old 10-31-2007 | 07:50 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neverpa
I have a GT3. I want a car that is fun to drive every day in all types of conditions. Is the Cayenne really that bad? I have spent time in the X5 and we own a Q7. I liked the test drives I have had in the Cayenne. My impressions are: size and heft: Q7>X5>Cayenne, handling precision: Cayenne>X5>Q7. I am not expecting the Cayenne to be as fast as the GT3 or really much like it. I am expecting it to be reliable and satisfying as a daily driver in bad weather with some road manners. Sorry if this is OT but I enjoy the GT3 community opinions.

Had a Cayenne S as daily driver for 4 years and were happy with it. Recently upgraded to Cayenne Turbo and now even happier.

BTW, this Cayenne GTS looks like good value at 69K compared to my CTT. I anticipate that a lot of potential buyers will get this instead of the S or Turbo.
Old 10-31-2007 | 10:27 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

I agree the GTS looks like a good value compared to the CTT. Although not nearly as practical as the Cayenne or X5, I am waiting on the X6.
Old 10-31-2007 | 11:38 PM
Moogle
Race Car

A new 4.8iS should be along later in the new model's lifetime.
Old 10-31-2007 | 11:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moogle
To be blunt, the GTS is a gimmick car, another one of Porsche's exercises in niche marketing by recycling their parts bin to create a "different" car.
No different than the GT3RS in that regard, and nobody's complaining about it...

Quick Reply: A GT to pull your GT3 to the track!!