GT3 Track Day Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 536 Posts
Default GT3 Track Day Pictures

Since this is my 911th post, here are some picture of my first track day at Mondello Park, here in Ireland.

Comments:

What an awesome experience! This car is a track beast (once the tires have warmed up). The fact is that this car understeers a lot, (did I say a lot?) especially into slow tight corners. Careful getting on the throttle as it is very easy for the rears to lose grip out of corners. Frankly, accelleration out of corners was not as smooth as I would have hoped for. My guess is that traction control had a piece to play in that (I didn't have the guts to turn it off). Mondello is a very technical track with lots of braking. No problems with brake fade (in comparison to my RS4). Now for another run down to Stuttgart to drop the car off for shippment to the US. Great experience, need to do this again once the car gets to the US. - 3,000 unforgetable (s)miles. Enjoy:

Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank, Nice shots... you must be pushing the car hard to feel the understeer?

will see you Sunday at DD 6:30am-ish... .

George
Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 PM
karlleonard
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Frank... i was down in Mondello that day in the other 997gt3 (atlas grey car)... was wondering what a lhd american spec car was doing in ireland... your car looked well with the rs bits... ?? what u think of mondello..??
Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

wicked pix!! Thanks for sharing...
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Shark-GT3
Advanced

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
I would enjoy knowing the shutter speeds and EXIF information on those pictures.

Looking good.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 AM
flash1034
Pro

Why did you white-out the GT3 decals on the side?

Flash
Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George Huang
Frank, Nice shots... you must be pushing the car hard to feel the understeer? will see you Sunday at DD 6:30am-ish... .

George
Not pushing too hard - Sunday 6:30 am

Originally Posted by karlleonard
what u think of mondello..??
Sorry - didn't see much of your car as you were going so much faster than me. Unfortunately, I was low on petrol after the morning session so I went back to work. Mondello is a great venue and it is safe and relatively well organized although the track is a bit short. Driving is not too aggressive and most people don't have a problem with letting you pass. I have never been to the open track days, only the VIP days. My sense is that the open days are a little more challenging and crowded. I'll be back is there is another session this year.

Originally Posted by Shark-GT3
Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
I would enjoy knowing the shutter speeds and EXIF information on those pictures.
Sorry, the pics were taken by a photographer - I'll try to find out and send you via PM.

Originally Posted by flash1034
Why did you white-out the GT3 decals on the side?Flash
They are silver high gloss details. Under some lighting conditions they appear highly reflective.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice pictures.

Is it just me whose GT3 barely understeers at all, except in the wet?

Also, I think it's just me that looks like getting almost 6k miles from my rear PS Cups. And that's with quite a few laps of the 'Ring, two UK trackdays (with a third next weekend) and one spin!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet pics Frank. Are you planning on keeping the GT3 permanently in the States? Why not in Ireland if I may ask?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Sweet pics Frank. Are you planning on keeping the GT3 permanently in the States? Why not in Ireland if I may ask?
Long story - ordered the car in anticipation of living in the US again when delivered. Started another company in Ireland so I am staying for a while and took Euro delivery instead of just cancelling the order. Under the Euro delivery program, left a $15k deposit with my US dealer to assure that the car would actually end up in the US (Porsche NA requirement). Irish registration tax for the car would cost me about Eu 40 - Eu 60k which makes no sense cause the steering wheel is also on the wrong side. At this point, the car will stay in the US and I will hang on to it as long as I can afford it - I figured that there won't be much depreciation if I don't put the miles on it. I go back to NYC quite often for business and this is another reason to do it.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Long story - ordered the car in anticipation of living in the US again when delivered. Started another company in Ireland so I am staying for a while and took Euro delivery instead of just cancelling the order. Under the Euro delivery program, left a $15k deposit with my US dealer to assure that the car would actually end up in the US (Porsche NA requirement). Irish registration tax for the car would cost me about Eu 40 - Eu 60k which makes no sense cause the steering wheel is also on the wrong side. At this point, the car will stay in the US and I will hang on to it as long as I can afford it - I figured that there won't be much depreciation if I don't put the miles on it. I go back to NYC quite often for business and this is another reason to do it.
Nice. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing it on the Spring 2008 Run.

Quick Reply: GT3 Track Day Pictures