Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

will be testing new OE MPSC tires vs real MPSC 19" 235 fronts at the glen...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
Just got back from the Glen with GT North and he can report on his experiment. By MPSC failure, I meant that I had a left rear tire fail catastrophically on the bowl at Pocono N at 100 mph+. The car suddenly pointed toward the wall and I locked 'em up and hoped I wouldn't hit anything. I was lucky - the car slid right down the track and the only damage was the other three tires were flat spotted all the way through, and the rim from the left rear was filed down flat where the car slid on it. That tire was totally destroyed. Since then, I have heard of two other similar incidents, both with MPSCs at Pocono on the bowl, I think all left rears. In hindsight, I think the tire had actually gone down before because the car was a handful coming up onto the bowl, so much so that I had to slow way down because the car felt so greasy. But I assumed that the tires had gotten greasy or maybe there was some oil or antifreeze. A good lesson there - come in and check tire pressures if something is changing!.
Honestly, we can't blame just the tires. I've been there.

Indeed, my alignment for last year Time Trials at Pocono North was uneven, with more negative camber on the left side, and less on the right side. I was also running 2 psi higher pressures than usual on the left, and 2 psi under on the right. My right rear Moton damper lost the pressure due to a hose leak, and I think it helped everywhere but the hairpin.

Running Speedway Bowls with cars this fast requires serious caution (Pocono, Daytona, Fontana, etc.).

Your right technique and some luck helped you to save it. Good save !!!.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got back from the Glen with GT North and he can report on his experiment. By MPSC failure, I meant that I had a left rear tire fail catastrophically on the bowl at Pocono N at 100 mph+. The car suddenly pointed toward the wall and I locked 'em up and hoped I wouldn't hit anything. I was lucky - the car slid right down the track and the only damage was the other three tires were flat spotted all the way through, and the rim from the left rear was filed down flat where the car slid on it. That tire was totally destroyed. Since then, I have heard of two other similar incidents, both with MPSCs at Pocono on the bowl, I think all left rears. In hindsight, I think the tire had actually gone down before because the car was a handful coming up onto the bowl, so much so that I had to slow way down because the car felt so greasy. But I assumed that the tires had gotten greasy or maybe there was some oil or antifreeze. A good lesson there - come in and check tire pressures if something is changing!.
Hmmm, I guess Michelin tires don't like banked corners. I seem to remember a certain F1 race in 2005 that had only six cars running because the Michelin-shod cars couldn't run through the oval section of the track.

In any case, glad to hear that your car didn't hit anything!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MPSC sizes available in 18 & 19 inch in Germany

30 Series

305 / 30 R 19 EL TL ZR/(102 Y) N0
265 / 30 R 19 TL ZR/(89 Y)
315 / 30 R 18 TL ZR/(98 Y)
295 / 30 R 18 TL ZR/(94 Y)
285 / 30 R 18 TL ZR/(93 Y)

35 Series

235 / 35 R 19 TL ZR/(87 Y) N0
235 / 35 R 19 TL ZR/(87 Y)
265 / 35 R 18 TL ZR/(93 Y)

40 Series

235 / 40 R 18 TL ZR/(91 Y)
225 / 40 R 18 TL ZR/(88 Y)
255 / 40 R 17 TL ZR/(94 Y)

and from the Pirelli PZero Corsa System range -

30 Series

335/30ZR18 (102Y) ASIMMETRICO
305/30ZR19 (102Y) ASIMMETRICO
295/30ZR19 (100Y) ASIMMETRICO
295/30ZR18 PZERO ASIMMETRICO

35 Series

345/35ZR19 (110Y) ASIMMETRICO
285/35ZR19 (99Y) ASIMMETRICO
285/35ZR19 (103Y) ASIMMETRICO
285/35ZR19 PZERO ASIMMETRICO
255/35ZR19 (92Y) DIREZIONALE
245/35ZR19 (93Y) DIREZIONALE
235/35ZR19 (91Y) DIREZIONALE
225/35ZR19 (84Y) DIREZIONALE

40 Series

255/40ZR19 DIREZIONALE
245/40ZR19 (98Y) DIREZIONALE
235/40ZR18 (95Y) ASIMMETRICO
235/40ZR18 DIREZIONALE

Continental ContiSportContact VMax

25 Series

315/25 ZR19 FR

30 Series

275/30 ZR19 XL FR
325/30 ZR19 XL FR

35 Series

235/35 ZR19 XL FR
245/35 ZR19 XL FR

R+C
Old 10-19-2007, 11:31 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Terry,

- sorry i took off so fast
- my brain was fried at the end of the day with 500miles of tracktime over the two days and i just started making mistakes on our last session so i came in early, packed my one bag and started the 5hr dirve home
- fyi, terry's best laps were about 2 seconds faster than mine and i knew it wasn't a good idea to try and keep up at the end of the day
- this was my 2nd trip to the glen with the gt3 (3rd trip in total)
- in the early summer with a virgin gt3, i got my times down to 2:19-2:20
- this time i was 2:19 on day one and 2:18 on day 2 when i was out with mr. blue 997 RUF and terry for a little follow the leader

- day one i ran new mpsc oe tires
- day two i switched the "fronts" to "real" mpscs

- i have to go look at the tires in the next few days to analze them as they each have one day on them
- the only initial inpression that i have is that the "real" mpscs "may" be stiffer - i ran the same psi (31-32 hot on the front) and it just felt a little stiffer
- i don't think there was any improvement in grip
- i do think they may last longer as the narrower rain channels don't cause as much tire wear around the edges
- when i get them off i will take some pics of both and post them
- i don't see any downside of buying the real mpscs (if you can find them) as the car was stable and predictable mixing the tires

- my next experiment is to fit the 265 real mpscs on the front

- with the above said, if you trailer your car, i just can't see how these tires are going to be anywhere near as fast as hoosiers (when you look around the garage and everyone that traillers their car is running hossiers or slicks you can basically conclude that they believe hoosiers are faster)

- when i followed terry it was very obvious where he was faster than my slow 2:18s - 1) he is a better more experienced driver, 2) he starts up the esses way faster than me 3) he enters the bustop a little faster by trailing in the brakes more, 4) he takes the outer loop a little faster (this part of the track scares me a little)

- on the starting up the esses faster, i think i realized my mental block at the end of the day following him as he entered maybe 10mph faster, it was that i was looking down at the turnin cone at the bottom of the hill and not up the hill to convince my brain that there was lots of track to work with

- my next trip to the glen i will work on getting my eyes way up the hill

thanks everyone reponsible for the event to the tracktime overload

paul

Last edited by 997gt3north; 10-19-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:57 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

update,

- i'm reviewing video and just found a 2:16.5 from day one (i feel a little better now)
- funny, this lap also involved passing 2 cars
- i think i'm a better follower
- this was on the the porsche oe tires

- i have about 35 total trackdays as an fyi so lots to learn

paul
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul is right about the brain fry part. Our run groups were so long (last one was 3 hours!) that you either ran out of focus or gas. It was a lot of fun and I would recommend it to others for next year. Kind of tough on instructors, though, with only two run groups - I think I had my helmet on for 3 straight hours both mornings, going back and forth between my student and my run group.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

I am not familiar with GT North (the group that you were running with). Who are they?

Thanks.
SF
Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stephen Fisher
I am not familiar with GT North (the group that you were running with). Who are they?

Thanks.
SF

think terry was referring to my rennlist name 997gt3north

pau
Old 10-19-2007, 02:29 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

a 2:17 lap from the event

this was basically my best from day one
didn't do any video from day 2 as i ran out of memory

comments appreciate

i know where i can pick up an easy second or two (go up the esses faster) the rest is seat time and getting use to using the slip angle more on the faster sections

my experience is 35 trackdays over the last 6 years

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...20321&hl=en-CA
Old 10-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Looked pretty good. Possibly turned in a little early in turn one.

SF
Old 10-20-2007, 01:33 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

You were lucky, I was behind a guy a few years ago that had a blowout on the straight after the bowl hit the wall and totaled his car.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:28 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

I just back from a quick jaunt at MSR Houston. Decided to mount up the stock 19" MPSC's from my GT3 on the TT. My impression on them at 33/39 is that they are just a touch less pathetic than the PS2's for track work. I got to revisit the sensation of initial understeer followed by a quick wiggle of oversteer in sharp turns. I plan on just running these on the street, and leaving the track work to the R6's
Old 10-21-2007, 09:37 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by eclou
I just back from a quick jaunt at MSR Houston. Decided to mount up the stock 19" MPSC's from my GT3 on the TT. My impression on them at 33/39 is that they are just a touch less pathetic than the PS2's for track work. I got to revisit the sensation of initial understeer followed by a quick wiggle of oversteer in sharp turns. I plan on just running these on the street, and leaving the track work to the R6's

nice post (as it is very true)
sharp turns = understeer for sure (above 8/10ths driving)
the oversteer part in sharp turns can be mostly avoided if you dont let the rears above 35/36 so you only have to deal with the front pushing in order to judge when to apply throttle (that said if you mash the throttle you can easily get the car to push/wiggle/then spin)
Old 10-23-2007, 07:49 PM
scss98
Instructor

I think Terry L clocked a best lap of 2.13 at the RTR event chasing the chief instructor in his tricked up 993, but his mileage figures sucks! Terry I did not know you had such adventures at Poconos. Sam
Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, it was a 2:12.9 - but that's still a 2:12, right? I couldn't get close to that this time.

Quick Reply: will be testing new OE MPSC tires vs real MPSC 19" 235 fronts at the glen...