Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Finally, the "cause" of engine noise at cold start up explained

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarekN
I also have smoke on start-up, sometimes less, sometimes more. There is also a half-second drill-bit-in-concrete sound on start up, probably because oil is missing somewhere. Both things differ, however, depending on whether the car has been standing for one day, or two days.

There are lots of other sounds as well. The gearbox whine when idling along, the clutch bearing or gears with clutch engaged in neutral, the vibration from the inside rear-view mirror housing when the temperature and humidity is just right, the vibration from the driver´s side door opener, rumbling of brakes at a certain temperature...

In my mind, all part of the whole experience.
you must have a RS... light weight fly wheel and RS motor mounts will rattle the car some more than a regular GT 3...
Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just like my first old 69 VW!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

the turbos with the same block don't have the noise - I really doubt piston slap. It may be more valvetrain related or flywheel from the starter motor. Mine only did it for a couple of seconds max. It seemed to me like some kind of valve was open and then as soon as some vacuum built up the valve closed and the noise was gone.

Actually, I remember when I did euro delivery the noise was constant when my CEL came on - it was a disconnected variable cam timing switch. It has to be something valvetrain related!!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

I was told that the enriched mixture when cold causes detonation in the exhaust pipe. It seems to stop quickly upon warm up.

Even my 993 did that to some extent.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:03 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some smoke, but if I let the car idle a few minuets before shut off it doesn't happen as much.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:11 PM
rsman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you are hearing at cold start up is virtually guaranteed not piston slap but rather the noise the exhaust makes due to extra air being pumped in the cats for quick warm up. You will note that after usually about 1 min it magically disappears. This is to also be contrasted with the rattle you hear only for a few seconds on start up after the car has been sitting a few days but usually never hear if driven every day which is presumably a function of oil drainage over the course of a couple of days.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:41 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

RSMan the oil drainage theory is the one I believe.

Quick Reply: Finally, the "cause" of engine noise at cold start up explained