RS out and CLK63 BE in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS out and CLK63 BE in?

Since I don't want two of the same cars as it is a sign of more money then brains, I test drove the 63 Black Edition today. I got to tell you that is a sweet little car right from the moment you turn it on and push the accelerator. I would have bought it in a second if the damn thing had back seat for my kids. It would be so nice to have 1 car that can seat more then me and another. I don't get MB, great car but it will never be a track car so why bother and erase the 2+2? I think they lost potential customers by doing that. But that motor and sound and ride were sweet, DARN IT!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:37 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I bet that BE was nice. What was the sticker on it in NY?

What does a 2010 GT1 look like?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:58 PM
gerkebi
Instructor

A friend just got a CLK63 BE. Says it's one of the best cars he's ever driven. And he's driven a few.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
I bet that BE was nice. What was the sticker on it in NY?

What does a 2010 GT1 look like?
Could pick it up at 5K off MSRP of $138k
Old 10-06-2007, 11:12 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I own the Black Series and RS (sold the GT3).

The Black Series is a "variation on a theme", it is no less a car than the GT3, although different (but not as good as the RS).

The Engine/7-Speed transmission/ride height, make a great daily driver without the pre-planning necessary for the GT3. It is a car that seems to have a lot of oversteer built in and it performs. Another great feature (surprise) was the coupe with all the windows down the airflow is great, and you don't burn in the sun. The adjustable coilover suspension (tools and details provided) offers some benefit for the tweakers and experimenters. Can't opine on the paddles since you have to have 1000 miles on the car to use them (per manual) and I'm that kind of guy. The torque...OMG!!!!

It all comes down to a preference over needs, features and attributes relative to available budget. E.G. heavy city/traffic driving would favor the BS... and it ain't a shabby choice. A Bee-line to the track would favor the GT3. Summary: getting to the track BS, on the track GT3. The compromise that either presents is one of life's nice decisions, because each can perform respectably in any situation!

One thing is for sure the BS is like no other AMG ever before, the car does not disappoint. Again, it is just a different flavor cake that tastes great!

At 5K under MSRP, you should have broke their arm!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh!

I forgot the seats in the BS, to die for!

What the BS does is make you really focus on what you want in a car and where your compromises should be, and it expands the choices available. If the track is the over-riding concern, then it must be a Cup Car.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:19 AM
RSR-Vlad
Intermediate

post some pics of the clk next to teh gt3 please
Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Shark-GT3
Advanced

+1 - Would love to see the spread..
Old 10-07-2007, 01:38 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

MB is only bringing 350 or so of the BE CK63's...I am thinking of replacing my 06 E55 with the black series. I already have a kid hauler GL450...the only question is black or white???
Old 10-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Every time I get in a Mercedes, I am struck by -

why are the seats so bad
why is the driving position compromised
what is the point of the 7-speed gearbox that shifts so smoothly I don't notice it
I don't nedd a fan to look after my farts
Where is the kitchen sink (its got everything else)
Its the triumph of brainless greed over functional style
Its the same as the taxi I got in at the airport last night
I'm not old enough (or fat enough) to be sitting here

I visit Affalterbach quite regularly, I have noticed a lot of changes in the last few years. Being corporatised has taught a number of fine blokes corporatespeak and mindset.

One of my friends has an excellent chauffeur who looks after him in town. I recall my friend asking this paragon of motoring virtue 'what about one of these new Mercedes?' and the reply was 'Oh no sir, gentlemen who have those cars aren't gentlemen at all, it would be a shame to have to let you do your own driving.'

R+C
Old 10-07-2007, 04:26 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Every time I get in a Mercedes, I am struck by -

why are the seats so bad
why is the driving position compromised
what is the point of the 7-speed gearbox that shifts so smoothly I don't notice it
I don't nedd a fan to look after my farts
Where is the kitchen sink (its got everything else)
Its the triumph of brainless greed over functional style
Its the same as the taxi I got in at the airport last night
I'm not old enough (or fat enough) to be sitting here

I visit Affalterbach quite regularly, I have noticed a lot of changes in the last few years. Being corporatised has taught a number of fine blokes corporatespeak and mindset.

One of my friends has an excellent chauffeur who looks after him in town. I recall my friend asking this paragon of motoring virtue 'what about one of these new Mercedes?' and the reply was 'Oh no sir, gentlemen who have those cars aren't gentlemen at all, it would be a shame to have to let you do your own driving.'

R+C
Care to comment on BMWs? I'm actually trying to decide between the 328xi and the C300 4matic right now (girlfriend's car), and I could use any help you could give me to convince the gf that the 3-series is the way to go.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by fuenfer
Care to comment on BMWs? I'm actually trying to decide between the 328xi and the C300 4matic right now (girlfriend's car), and I could use any help you could give me to convince the gf that the 3-series is the way to go.
Well, what is wrong with an A4/S4 or A5/S5?

The last 3 series I liked was the M3 CSL, I could forgive the car its looks.

I was spending time with the BMW guys (in Munich), when they opened up Land Rover to try and discover how to make 4WD work, and they discovered that LR didn't know either. Have they bought enough expertise in from Audi to make it work decently? Even in sub-Alpine Bavaria, we don't see many AWD 3 series cars (Munich is at around 2,000 ft and many of us look at the Alps from our offices and apartments).

On a related subject, why do so many people want cars with 4 seats when they can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times they need the rear seats.

The 3 series is a nice car to drive, but when the competition is a Cayman or a Z4, what would you pick? If I need a small four seater with AWD, then itds an Audi, if I want an affordable 'offroader', then the Disco is great, a serious offroader means Land Cruiser

R+C
Old 10-07-2007, 05:20 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's wrong with the A4 is that we have an A4 on lease right now, and will be returning it shortly. We're in the mood for a different car this time around. As far as AWD goes, I personally don't care for it, but that's something the gf absolutely, positively must have for whatever reason. She must also have four doors on the car (not just four seats), and doesn't want an SUV.

Anyway, that's how we ended up where we are, and quite frankly, between the two I prefer the 3-series in its handling. She seems to like the C-class more, so here we re at an impasse ...
Old 10-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I can see the impasse - buy her a pair of Mercedes Granny-specs to put her off the car. Remind her that that Mercedes are known as Stuttgasrt Airport Taxis. Tell her she looks like Norbert haug's mother in a Mercedes.
How about 'tough love' - let her get whatever she wants, just don't ride in it.

I'm the last person to take car advice from, I like the Smart and hate the new Rolls. For just driving around the place, I'd look at a diesel.

R+C

Quick Reply: RS out and CLK63 BE in?