Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

REAR EXHAUST FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
jsdkms
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb REAR EXHAUST FAILURE

I saw a post on Six Speed regarding a rear stock center muffler that had failed when using a Cargraphic #5 setup. Before switching my exhaust, I woas wondering if anyone on the board has experienced this type of failure when using a system that keeps the stock rear muffler in place or has heard of this happening to anyone else?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 PM
jeffparent
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same experience with my Cargraphic system... I broke the rear stock center muffler twice on my GT3 when using a Cargraphic #6 setup. Cargraphic is supposed to bring a solution for this problem...
Old 09-27-2007, 04:43 PM
jsdkms
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not good!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:18 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffparent
I had the same experience with my Cargraphic system... I broke the rear stock center muffler twice on my GT3 when using a Cargraphic #6 setup. Cargraphic is supposed to bring a solution for this problem...

where did it break?
and do you know why?

thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

hey guys, I believe this is what you are refering to, right? There was a golf-ball-sized hole and two 6 inch cracks along the back side of it and it was pretty useless to weld-up again. Porsche used double-walled but nonetheless very thin material for this center piece (probably to keep weight down) but it doesn't seem to mesh well with after-market headers and cats. Having said that I can see over time and heavy load that it could indeed fail even with stock mufflers. The orange one you see on the lift is also in for our exhaust bypass and it already had two pin-hole leaks. I don't know that they would have gotten any worse but they were there. Both these guys have been to the track quite a few times....

Hence we removed it..

On Fred's we had to get rid of the center muffler piece as it was the second time he had it crack. It was really beyond repair so instead we did a cross-over up top and bypass down low. The cross-over really helped create a resonance chamber and cut down on the drone compared to how it was originally. Sounds very loud when you give it gas tho!
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: REAR EXHAUST FAILURE