Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Turning off the freeze

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turning off the freeze

maybe i'm just brain dead, but on my 997 Turbo and the gt3, how do you turn off the air system, the temperature stuff? nice day, 65 degrees. roll down windows. and i want to shut off the climate control systme in total.
i know there is an auto button and if i manually adjust fan speed or blower location, it turns off Auto but its still on. how do i turn it off in total?
there msut be a way to do it because i turned on the gt3 yesterday and it said "Off" in the led window. then i hit auto and went to "auto" but cant figure otu how to turn off. read the manual again.
just curious. hate wasting resources on nice days when the windows are down.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
maybe i'm just brain dead, but on my 997 Turbo and the gt3, how do you turn off the air system, the temperature stuff? nice day, 65 degrees. roll down windows. and i want to shut off the climate control systme in total.
i know there is an auto button and if i manually adjust fan speed or blower location, it turns off Auto but its still on. how do i turn it off in total?
there msut be a way to do it because i turned on the gt3 yesterday and it said "Off" in the led window. then i hit auto and went to "auto" but cant figure otu how to turn off. read the manual again.
just curious. hate wasting resources on nice days when the windows are down.
Just turn down the fan control switch until the system turns off.
The setting below the lowest fan speed is system off.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Push the "eco" button. This brings in fresh air from the outside. You can still use the "fan speed" for more or less air.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:47 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And they went to such great pains to make it intuitive!

I don't care for this implementation because you lose the fan setting by turning it off. Maybe a Mode button (Auto/Manual/Off) would have been better...
Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Fresh air is always brought in, unless you have it on recirc.

The eco button allows the compressor to turn on/off as needed. Normally (ie, non-eco) the compressor is always on.

Originally Posted by n2cars
Push the "eco" button. This brings in fresh air from the outside. You can still use the "fan speed" for more or less air.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

In "08 the button now reads AC Compressor. I think this is one of the model changes.

jv

Last edited by John Velasco; 09-06-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
And they went to such great pains to make it intuitive!

I don't care for this implementation because you lose the fan setting by turning it off. Maybe a Mode button (Auto/Manual/Off) would have been better...
I agree it's not intuitive.
If you just want fresh outside air blowing through the vents push the "eco" buttom which turn off the AC compressor and adjust the fan speed as desired.
To turn the whole system off turn the fan speed down past the lowest setting and it will turn off.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:25 AM
khaug
Instructor

The "ECO" button is, in fact, the AC compressor switch. When the button is lit the compressor is off and you're in the ECOnomy mode.

Our new VW Touareg has the same bizarre system.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Yeah the ergonomics of the PCM/HVAC/NAV are extremely poor. Try to change a radio station. I play this game with any new passenger in the car. I haven't had a single person figure it out. My 2001 MDX had a touch screen Nav. The 911 - not so much.

It is annoying but it is not the reason I bought the car. One drive and you forget all the odd tid bits.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:22 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I look at the PCM display and all the buttons around it, and I have a feeling that whoever designed it was from the Aviation industry...?

The whole console and display look like an airjet fighter console, which is kind of cool. I feel like doing the pre-flight check everytime I get in the car (Sport ON, Pasm OFF, Eco CHECK, Nav OK, Psm CHECK, Volume SET, ....)

While my 87 Carrera reminds me of operating a World War II airplane (all the ***** and levers for the A/C, heater, vent, etc.), my 997 makes me feel like operating a modern airplance (all the digital display, button, etc.)

May be this is why I like P-cars

With best regards,
Old 10-18-2007, 11:42 PM
khaug
Instructor

now "ac off" like it should be

Yeah, but I'll bet the button is lit when the A/C is off, no? Still bassackwards IMHO.

Oh well, I guess it could be worse and be i-Drive instead!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

part of Porsche's success has always been attributable to the attraction of its products to the anally fixated. Don't worry, for decades the Germans even designed their lavatories with the anally fixated in mind.

The ansewer to the question, how do I turn off the air conditioning?
Ask the Audi service manager.

Remember these cars are designed for your continued fascination.

R+C
PS they should nick more systems from the Audi A8, the loss of the ac settings is irritating.

Quick Reply: Turning off the freeze