Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TRUCK FOR TOWING

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 PM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've towed track cars for 9 years now and purchased, IMHO, the ultimate tow vehicle this summer: A VW Touareg V10 TDI. It has a 5-liter v10 twin-turbo direct-injection diesel engine that produces 553 lb/ft of torque and 310 hp. It is quiet and serenely stable towing at 65 mph, and will pull most Interstate highway grades in 6th gear. It is rated to tow 7700#, so our 5500# rig is well within its limits.

On our last tow from my home in Lansing, MI to Mosport Park, it returned 14.6 calculated mpg. When not towing, it's a pleasant size, comfortable for 5 people and easy to drive and park. I don't like big trucky vehicles, so our egg is my ideal solution to the tow vehicle question.

The major downside is its initial cost. Ours stickered at $68k+, and we paid $61K.

FWIW, I'd be surprised if you aren't towing way more pounds than you think. I run a Trailex enclosed trailer which is almost entirely aluminum, and the empty weight is stated to be 2350#. Most open steel tandem-axle trailers I've seen have weighed well over 2,000#
Old 09-01-2007, 01:15 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oh yea
thanks for the reply's

The Ridgeline works really hard towing everything and the last thing i want is a 160K rig flying by me or getting loose because my Tow vehicle can't handle the load. This is my first experience towing cars. moved a few jets in the AF.
Leaning towards a Toyota Tundra 10k capacity
Since you said this will be your first time towing cars and I am going to assume upgrading to a bigger/heavier truck should not be an issue financially. I will definitely go with a big dually for safety reason. I do not know much about towing myself but this article I read awhile back was stuck in my head for days:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...731,full.story

And whether this line is true or not, it seems logical to me:

The safest way to tow is with a vehicle that weighs much more than the trailer. A leading trailer expert and U-Haul consultant has likened this principle to "motherhood and apple pie."

Last edited by wilfred; 09-01-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: orig link was for first page only, new link for entire story
Old 09-01-2007, 01:27 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The Chevy Duramax with the Allison tranny is the best combo out there. It was a pleasure pulling my GT3 up to Fernley Nevada to the Reno Fernely raceing complex and passing Toyotas and Hondas going up the conway summit at 8300 feet. Gets better mileage than my friends F250.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:43 AM
jimhuber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The Chevy Duramax with the Allison tranny is the best combo out there. It was a pleasure pulling my GT3 up to Fernley Nevada to the Reno Fernely raceing complex and passing Toyotas and Hondas going up the conway summit at 8300 feet. Gets better mileage than my friends F250.
A

I know you might like this Chevy combo and I owne three of them in Chevy 2 4500 and one 3500 Duramax Allison. And I owne the new 6.7 Cummins with the new 6 speed with engine brake. I can tell you that the dodge is much better for many reasons. 10 years with the Cummins and it is great. The Duramax is a over complex v 8 diesel. The Cummins is a straight 6. But i would still expect a Duramax to out pull a Toyota or Honda.
Also what ever you buy I am sure you will be happy with in that all of the American diesel trucks are good now, however you should look into the engine controlers electronic only that you can buy. They make all of the difference.

Jim Huber
Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

If you could mate the Allison tranny with the Cummins motor you would be in heaven. From what I have heard no Ford motor since the 7.3l has proven itself.

Currently I tow with an LS1 powered Z71 01 Chevy. Rock solid at 120k miles. I used to tow with an 04V8 Touareg which was surprisingly capable. The rear air suspension made the Egg tow like a LWB truck. Too bad the electrics on the car were a nightmare.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:24 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jim I had the Edge with attitude on my Cheby and the toyotas and honda were cars and not towing anything and I was buzzing by them like they were going backwards. I would expect to pass a Tundras towing a load but not an Avalon or Accord not towing anything.
EUgene I agree. the Duramax is a Izuzu and I would like a Cummins with allison but it doesnt exist.
As it is I sold the Cheby and drive a BMW X5 4.8is. I was not using the Monster chevy properly and sold my trailer and truck. The Bimmer is an absolute HOOT as a DD. ITs faster than any other SUV I have had or drove. Its scalding fast for a truck.
SO Jim then I bought my 17 year old a Dodge 1500 with the 5.9 liter and towing package if
we have to tow anything. Since I have a new GT3 and Willow Springs is 50 miles away and ButtonWIllow is only 110 miles away I really dont need to tow.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:40 PM
oh yea
Instructor

Bought a Tundra crew cab limited 5.7L V8. Truck is a DD . Tow capacity is 10,800lbs. Couldn't find a diesel that was just right. I will let you how it towes and thanks for your input.

V/R
Old 09-01-2007, 07:53 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

JROK.... Congrats on the new truck. Like your friend I too would like an 08' with the 6.4 but my 06' works just fine for my 8k load.

It appears from your pics that your trailer is not level. If it's just jacked up for unloading then fine, but if not, you should adjust your drop hitch accordingly to reach a loaded, level position. Since you tow I'm sure you understand all the benefits, but with all the trailer threads going I felt compelled to point out the obvious for any newbys reading this thread....
Old 09-01-2007, 08:22 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhuber
A
Also what ever you buy I am sure you will be happy with in that all of the American diesel trucks are good now, however you should look into the engine controlers electronic only that you can buy. They make all of the difference.
Jim Huber
Jim by "electronic enging controller" do you mean a chip? I'm interested because last weekend I hauled 2 race cars in a 32 ft. Featherlite tag weighing 14,000lbs. I ahuled with a friend's chipped Duramax/Allison crew cab. I was completely blown away by the power band. Although I was pulling 14,000.lbs. it cruised up the grapevine at 65 mph with the air on and plenty of pedal below my foot. The temp gauge never moved from just below halfway. SO I'm asking because I now feel the need to upgrade my Ford 6.0....
Old 09-01-2007, 08:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

JR I would stay with your old ford or get the Cheby. I loved the power just didnt use it. We have an engineer who just came from Ford in Az and tested the new Fords-He said they were rushed to market and have several problems that werent fixed this new double turbo set up. Notice how ford has changed motors alot lately (relatively speaking) 7 lilter then to the 6 liter and now this double turbo set up. They cant seem to find a setup with staying power. The duramax has been around for awhile. Or I hate to say it a Dodge and the cummins. Its just the Cummins is so loud and obnoxious.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:10 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Jim by "electronic enging controller" do you mean a chip? I'm interested because last weekend I hauled 2 race cars in a 32 ft. Featherlite tag weighing 14,000lbs. I ahuled with a friend's chipped Duramax/Allison crew cab. I was completely blown away by the power band. Although I was pulling 14,000.lbs. it cruised up the grapevine at 65 mph with the air on and plenty of pedal below my foot. The temp gauge never moved from just below halfway. SO I'm asking because I now feel the need to upgrade my Ford 6.0....
Electronic controller changes boost, fuel presure, injection pulse wave, and it can really bring out the power of diesel. Quadzilla is want I use in the Cummins and I love it. Keep your eye on the EGT and you will be ok. Have to be carefull how much you ask for out of the mill because the next week link will go. Electronics, intake, exaust, in that order.

Jim Huber
Old 09-02-2007, 02:20 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oh yea
Bought a Tundra crew cab limited 5.7L V8. Truck is a DD . Tow capacity is 10,800lbs. Couldn't find a diesel that was just right. I will let you how it towes and thanks for your input.

V/R
Nice truck! I sat in one in a showroom not too long ago while my minivan was getting serviced. Just fyi, if you ever need even more power, a diesel engine will be available in a few years now that toyota bought that few percent GM sold of Isuzu.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota/Aisin will try to buy Allison from Carlyle/Onex...
Old 09-03-2007, 12:25 AM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
JROK.... Congrats on the new truck. Like your friend I too would like an 08' with the 6.4 but my 06' works just fine for my 8k load.

It appears from your pics that your trailer is not level. If it's just jacked up for unloading then fine, but if not, you should adjust your drop hitch accordingly to reach a loaded, level position. Since you tow I'm sure you understand all the benefits, but with all the trailer threads going I felt compelled to point out the obvious for any newbys reading this thread....
Hey thanks, there is a 4x4 post under the trailer foot and it's exactly 12 cranks up on the foot -- to let the GT3 come out without popping all the pushpins out of the black spoiler lip. But seriously, thanks for looking out. We could go all month on the Ford-Chevy-Dodge thing. Let's talk about pie, I think pecan is the best.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 AM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by OldGuy
JR I would stay with your old ford or get the Cheby. . Its just the Cummins is so loud and obnoxious.

The new 6.7 Cummins is Quiet. This is my first 6.7 since they just came out and I have like a dumbass hit the key when it was running twice now. This is one quiet diesel. If you remove the two cat system and instal a new air intake and electronics then it will be a ear pusher.

Jim Huber
Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 AM
jimhuber
Racer

[ I think pecan is the best.[/QUOTE]

Pecan, Custard( if done correctly), however the Pecan must have a fresh whiped cream topping however not to sweet due to the fact that pecan is so sweet.

Jim Huber

Quick Reply: TRUCK FOR TOWING