997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Got both

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007 | 08:44 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Nice to see you couldn't make up your mind!

Old 09-07-2007 | 02:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Good point Moot. But what capabilities does the RS have that the GT3 doesn't? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the major differences were the flywheel, rear wing and Carrera 4 rear fenders. I haven't seen any data thus far to suggest the RS can outperform the GT3 with those differences. Fill me in.
you are correct on those difference. but IF you had both GT3 and RS, why not use the RS for track as it has the above items already, which isn't al that useful on street. if you used GT3 for track, you would eventually put on all those stuff anyways....

i am not good enough to say that RS is faster than GT3, but i know if i had both cars, i would track the RS and enjoy the GT3 on street.
Old 09-07-2007 | 06:59 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mooty
you are correct on those difference. but IF you had both GT3 and RS, why not use the RS for track as it has the above items already, which isn't al that useful on street. if you used GT3 for track, you would eventually put on all those stuff anyways....

i am not good enough to say that RS is faster than GT3, but i know if i had both cars, i would track the RS and enjoy the GT3 on street.
I was thinking of tracking the 3 instead of the RS merely because of preservation. I'm definitely not as well-versed with P cars, or cars for that matter as you guys are. But, if I did have both cars and had the choice, I would track the crap out of the 3. I guess I'm a little too much in love with my RS! But, that will probably will change as she has her first track day scheduled at the end of this month at RRR.

FWIW, I wouldn't change the rear wing on the 3...I think they look awesome as they are and do a good job performance-wise. I would do the GT3 decals, cheaper/lighter seats for track w/ six point, mooty 18 inch tire/rim set up and track/drive the crap out of it.
Old 09-07-2007 | 07:06 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by peloton
RR - looks like you're seeking some logic to back up what is essentially just an emotional decision. Once one is on the path of gathering up a few toys, there is not necessarily a linear decision-making process. But to answer your question: I'm willing to prep a car to track alignment specs/stiffer suspension/and noisier. But I've gone down the pure track car route before that requires a trailer and towing and I'm just not that dedicated to track days to go that route. If I was racing instead of just having fun perhaps I would think differently about it. I hope that helps address your question.
+1 For now I'm content with a street car on the track. I just like to drive my cars when I where I want to. Don't want to wait for a track day to give it some excercise. If I get really good and want trophies, then I'll look at a cup. Presently, I'm extremely happy just with the track experience itself with as few headaches as possible. AND, I'm not saying owning a cup is a headache. However, it does require more maintenance, preparation, knowledge and travel time to enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Got both