Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

ride comparison w/stradale

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

N2 if you cant access the upper 50% of the rev band you cant complain about the lack of torque. After you break in your car (and I believe its broken in, some dealers will tell you to drive it like you stole it as soon as yuo get it and indeed the motor needs to be revved ) you will have full credibility in a critique of the car. In my opinion if you can't drive it in the 5-8400 RPM band and you dont intend to keep till YOU think its 'broken-in' there is no reason to have it. Thats like buying a new Central Air unit for your house in November and then complaining about the Air conditioner portion in Feburary. It is the same motor as the GT3 Cup Race cars and do you think they break it in for 2000 miles?
I doubt it.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watt,

As some others have commented, the 997GT3/RS ride quality is the best that I've experienced yet from a Porsche GT variant (prior GT3's and 2's) -- not too bouncy at all. It rides a lot like the CGT that I get to drive on occasion.

I'd have the shop/dealer look it -- perhaps something isn't right??

Which one are you bringing on Friday? Look forward to seeing you at BW.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Watt,
I always felt the Stradale felt much smoother on the road than my lowered 996 GT3. The 997 GT3 does not feel as stiff as the Stradale IMO. Out of the 3 I would think that the 997 GT3 has the best "comfort" when driving it on the road.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n2cars
Your assessment of the GT3 is right on. Bouncy, twitchy, and hard up and down has been a MINOR disappointment for me. A MAJOR disappointment has been the gearing and lack of torque.
I'm really surprised to read this as I came from a 993 Turbo with a RUF PSS9 setup. The RUF setup is fantastic for road driving, but the GT3 eclipses it for ride comfort, taking the edge off sharp edges in the road and providing better roll resistance. In regular mode, it's not bouncy at all; perhaps the dealer left in the spring spacers? I feel like I'm having my cake and eating it too with this car!

The gearing is a bit odd for street driving, but I'm expecting it to come alive on the track. The 993 was often stuck with 2nd being too short and 3rd being too tall for some corners leaving me flatfooted compared to the 996 GT3's. As far as torque, the area below 5,000rpm won't light the world on fire, but it's sufficient for street driving. I believe we have the peak torque of a Boxster S at 2,500rpm, that's not too bad.

Unfortunately, I'm still not past my self-imposed 1,000km break in (completed 760km in 6 days), so I don't know what >5,000rpm feels like, but with a 118mph 1/4 mile trap speed, I bet it will feel great!

Only downsides so far are lots of suspension noise (sounds like the front anti-roll bar), the vague 2-3 shift, heavy clutch and the 3,000rpm door rattle.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:35 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
can anyone else comment on the ride of the 3 vs, say a stradale?

i got the 3 back from service today and drove it after drving the strad. all day. it is very bouncy, and hard up and down on the road, and thus twitchy -- whilst the strad just soaks everything up whilst not being too soft...

my 3 is set stock. are there suspension changes to make that would smooth the car out on the road w/o changing its overall handling?

TIA
Originally Posted by OldGuy
N2 if you cant access the upper 50% of the rev band you cant complain about the lack of torque. After you break in your car (and I believe its broken in, some dealers will tell you to drive it like you stole it as soon as yuo get it and indeed the motor needs to be revved ) you will have full credibility in a critique of the car. In my opinion if you can't drive it in the 5-8400 RPM band and you dont intend to keep till YOU think its 'broken-in' there is no reason to have it. Thats like buying a new Central Air unit for your house in November and then complaining about the Air conditioner portion in Feburary. It is the same motor as the GT3 Cup Race cars and do you think they break it in for 2000 miles?
I doubt it.
Old Guy,
I don't disagree with your statement. I'm just trying to compare apples with apples. At 4K RPMS the 430 gets up and goes whereas the GT3 seems a little pokey at 4K.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dan360
Interesting.

I also have both. I find in MA that the CS is pretty hard in most circumstances. The GT3 is fine as long as you steer clear of the hard damper mode which is pretty much useless on the road (I haven't hit the track yet in the GT3).

The GT3 is lower at the front than the CS, just as well I'm accustomed to all the strategies for driveway and bump avoidance. Also just as well I know every pot hole from my home to my office

By "bouncy" do you mean in a straight line or when cornering? In my experience 911s corner very differently to a mid engined F-car. Bumps mid corner if you're hard on the gas coming out of a turn can cause a front-end oscillation which is a bit "bouncy". I like to think of this as character, but I can see how it might be annoying.

FWIW, my initial conclusion was the damping on the GT3 is very similar to the CS, but just a very different handling balance/throttle behaviour due to the obvious design differences between the two. If anything it seems to absorb holes and ridges that are common in MA better than the CS does.

My other initial reaction was that the GT3 isn't very fast - it doesn't feel as subjectively fast as the CS. This opinion may be somewhat colored by the fact that I also recently acquired a 599 which is rather obscenely fast and delivers lots of low down Torque. The CS is also way louder which adds to the impression of "fast".

The GT3 will be a 3 season daily driver for me, and I actually really like the sun-roof, sat-nav and decent hi-fi. I'm glad I didn't bother with the radio in the CS, the ones I've heard were rubbish.

I'd be interested in any other thoughts you have.
Originally Posted by Jack
Watt,

As some others have commented, the 997GT3/RS ride quality is the best that I've experienced yet from a Porsche GT variant (prior GT3's and 2's) -- not too bouncy at all. It rides a lot like the CGT that I get to drive on occasion.

I'd have the shop/dealer look it -- perhaps something isn't right??

Which one are you bringing on Friday? Look forward to seeing you at BW.
I am referring to the 3 in normal mode pasm off. the car has a hard jounce in the back feel up and down, even in straights. it's felt this way since delivery... maybe Jack is right and the dealer should check it. the strad of course puts hard short bumps thru itself like a shot so but the handling and balance stays sweet and neutral even during the hit.

Jack, I'm bringing the 3, i need to drive another to compare, but on the street.

the 3 is lovely on the track and so disposable, but the strad is nearly perfect out of the box with proper low gearing, nothing needs changing. the 3 has more mid range T, and the strad is a"slow" but it's fast enough for where i drive... i have quit the HP/T/speed arms race.... and it's the most beautiful [especially compared to the new 430 scud and the new gt2]. looking at the gt3 interior again vs the strad almost makes me puke also... so toyota like [like jack's and my prius]
Old 08-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..... I'm just trying to compare apples with apples. At 4K RPMS the 430 gets up and goes whereas the GT3 seems a little pokey at 4K.
Why try and compare a GT3 at 4K with a 430 at 4K??????

The 430 has a V8 flat crank 4.3 litre engine against the 6 cylinder 3.6 litre engine in the GT3.

Each car has different characteristics. Given that the F430 does duty as a 'second wives car' (that's men on second wives), spyder variant et al - it has a slightly wider constituency than the GT3. Away from Modena, I hardly ever see a 360/430 being hard driven, I see GT3s being hard driven all over the place. Hard drivers don'r mind having to keep the engine revs up, ageing roues prefer to putter along and let the car do the talking.

R+C
PS I'm not old enough to drive a 430
Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Must be nice to be able to have that perspective!

the 3 is lovely on the track and so disposable,
Old 08-22-2007, 03:57 PM
red993tt
Racer

A MAJOR disappointment has been the gearing and lack of torque. .
How can you give this assessment when your car is not even broken in.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

the 3 is lovely on the track and so disposable....
I agree -- Keep the Strad and get a dedicated track car. It'll be even more disposable. Call me, I've got just the ticket for you -- you can even drive it to and from the track.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:06 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Must be nice to be able to have that perspective!

Quote:
the 3 is lovely on the track and so disposable,
thats to make us normal people feel more mortal than we already do
Old 08-22-2007, 06:53 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Given that the F430 does duty as a 'second wives car' (that's men on second wives), spyder variant et al
Very good characterization, but over here it about the "third wife's car".

You know, >20 yrs younger, spent her early twenties as a "dancer".

Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your assessment of the GT3 is right on. Bouncy, twitchy, and hard up and down has been a MINOR disappointment for me. A MAJOR disappointment has been the gearing and lack of torque. The car does shine in the twisties and can be a daily driver compared to the CS. The GT3 is a temporary car for me. I will be getting a 430 Scud. Overall I'm pleased with the GT3 but I'm ready to move on.
I'm also a bit surprised by your comment. Having owned both a CS and 430, I'm quite pleased with the RS and don't find the ride quality or its performance to be disappointing/lacking at all.

Of course, it's differing views/opinions that make the world an interesting place.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:55 PM
dan360
Advanced

This has generated some interesting debate. In response to a couple of 599 points. F1 superfast on the 599 changes in 100 ms and until you change gear at 8,000 rpm in the car its hard to believe. Its really quite remarkable even in comparison the CS.

I'll be intersted to see how the 430 Scud change is, I also have a 430 Challenge (I know, I know, but my wife is remarkably tolerant of the collection of impractical cars, especially after she drove the CH on the track). The 430 CH change feels very similar to the CS and is plenty quick enough on the track. However, on a 17 corner track with an average of 1 upshift per straight, even .04 of a second adds up to .7 seconds a lap. All being well I'll get one and we'll see whether I keep the 599 or the CS. Financial sense suggests ditching the 599 as it will become a financial anchor in about 18 months time.

Don't get me wrong about the "fast" thing on the GT3, I'm really taken by the car, its a great road car. I do like the involvement of the stick shift as well, but if you can afford a 430 Scud or a GT3-RS, I would really recommend not writing it off because its not a stick. Ideally you get both
Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack
I agree -- Keep the Strad and get a dedicated track car. It'll be even more disposable. Call me, I've got just the ticket for you -- you can even drive it to and from the track.
sounds great. hey please come drive my 3 on my roads and see if it feels different to the others you have driven. the car hates short frequency bumps in a straight line

...looks like time for new tyres on the 3 at 3k miles... as for performance as Jack says, I'm sure a 3 is faster than a strad., [and btw, certainly a 430 is faster]. I could feel it today. logically it seems a better buy... but emotionally it doesn;t stand up. when i wrote a 3 summary for autoweek, i said who needs a strad, and immediately went and bought one...

and Dan, I tthink you a re spot on on the 599.... dump it whilst it's hot

Quick Reply: ride comparison w/stradale