GT 3 RMS Leak built Date

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by spr10r
my build date was Mar 2, and just got it back from the dealer today, with replaced rms. The good thing about having to go was the mountain pass drive on the way back, the bad thing was using 10% tire life to get some maintenance done. The delear told me that the seal works by vacuum and that if the car stands for a while (mine is maybe 4 days max standing) then it will leak. Sounds bogus to me; that would be negative crankcase pressure?? I also asked them to look at the passenger window which goes up a fraction (but sounds wierd to me) when the key goes to the first click. They said they all did that, and an RS they had in did when they showed me. I listened to how the RS revs picked up before deciding not to get the lwfw while the engine was out.
windows: at first click if key in ignition, you dont have one touch up and down feature, but window should not stick if you keep your finger on the toggle switch.

when motor is one or key turned all the way so the warning lights are up on dash (but motor not on yet) windows should work normally. however 997 cpe of any kind has "safety" feature on passenger side. you dont have one touch feature on that side until the glass is 1/2 way up....

with regard to RMS, your dealer is full of it.
my car is parked in b/n track events. sometimes 2 weeks without turning over. battery is fine, and no leak. RMS = rear main seal. a SEAL is a piece of rubber that is usually used to stop leaks. so what is this negative pressure and if you dont drive it leaks. tell them that most ppl do not drive porsche very often. so they should all leak???? you need new dealer.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:00 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The GT3 crankcase runs a partial vacuum to free up a few HP (5ish?). That's why Porsche changed the RMS from the old spring style to a teflon (which is impervious to seal swelling agents found in motor oil) seal which works on the plastic memory effect. As the seal warms up it wants to return to an original shape which happens to tighten it up against the crankshaft. The older style will also whistle when used to seal against negative pressure (and then it leaks when the engine is not running). Apparently there was also a bad batch of seals that found its way to Porsche Motorsports but I have no idea if seals from the same batch were used on the production line.

Older Style RMS used with positive crankcase pressure

Newer style RMS for negative crankcase pressure
Old 09-13-2007, 04:35 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, really, how long has Porsche been designing and manufacturing engines?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
No, really, how long has Porsche been designing and manufacturing engines?
not long enough apparently. I wonder if Subaru has the same problem?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:59 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Your dealer is correct. The crankcase on your car runs with a vacuum as opposed to the standard 997 which has positive pressure on the crankcase. Dry sump vs. wet. If not driven often, over winter, mine will have a small leak , one drop or so on the floor. When installing the seal make sure they put in in backwards from the 996/7's. Ask me how I know.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:04 PM
SFBayAreaGT3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RayGT3
Your dealer is correct. The crankcase on your car runs with a vacuum as opposed to the standard 997 which has positive pressure on the crankcase. Dry sump vs. wet. If not driven often, over winter, mine will have a small leak , one drop or so on the floor. When installing the seal make sure they put in in backwards from the 996/7's. Ask me how I know.
+1

Mine was replaced on 9/7, the mechanic installed it backwards as well.

Arnold
Old 09-14-2007, 03:37 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

A vacuum relative to atmospheric pressure?

Your dealer is correct. The crankcase on your car runs with a vacuum as opposed to the standard 997 which has positive pressure on the crankcase. Dry sump vs. wet.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

The RMS issue began with the 2003 long rod motor. Really no big deal, it is due to the crankcase venting they added to the late motor when they made that change. It creates a vacuum inside the crankcase and inevitably some air sneaks by the RMS as a result. The positive is that it is good for a "free"8-10hp. They updated the RMS as a result(which is a very tight fit and hard to refit as result) but they still leak sometimes. Note that they do not leak at all when running only when stopped and they wont leak much then unless You overfilled it a bit...
Old 09-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Ironically on the newer Cups that continue to leak even with the really kool new RMS design we have put in the old style and they stopped leaking...go figure.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:49 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

YA911

Don't know actual crankcase operating pressure but it is below ambient, <14.7 psia.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Thanks, that's interesting.

It's not obvious to me that a dry sump, per se, implies a crankcase vacuum. Something else to Google one of these days...

Don't know actual crankcase operating pressure but it is below ambient, <14.7 psia.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
It's not obvious to me that a dry sump, per se, implies a crankcase vacuum.
It doesn't, Porsche added a one-way check valve to the crankcase (condensation dome?) on the 996-GT3. Not sure if they are using the exact same part on the 997-GT3.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 09-14-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:50 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I get to Google something else now -- crankcase venting! Curious why they started doing this only recently if it provides "free" performance gains.

Quick Reply: GT 3 RMS Leak built Date