Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The RS just arrived - how soon can I track it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007 | 05:53 PM
gt3cup98
Racer

A friend of mine picked up his GT3 in West Palm Beach and drove it to Sebring for a event the same day so his break in was about 100 miles. However, he did take it easy for the first session at least.
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:27 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

I'm doing the 2k deal with an oil change at 1300. For me, better safe than sorry. I would be the ONE guy that had an engine failure. And, I've been told they have ways to check and see how you've driven the car. Lastly, I plan on keeping her for awhile and I just like taking care of my cars.
Old 07-25-2007 | 10:48 PM
340Elise
Banned

I think the 2K break-in that Porsche recommends for all of their models is way too high. I don't know another manufacturer that has such a high mileage break-in. BMW I believe is 2nd with 1200 miles. I can't speak for Ferrari or Aston Martin or other exotics.

I read one theory on the 2K break-in that made a lot of sense. Porsche recommends this not for the car (although the first 500 to 1K miles it may be good for it), but for the DRIVER. These are high performance cars that make inexperienced first time owners think they are professional drivers, and they may think these cars can defy the laws of physics. So the 2K break-in gives the newbs some time to get used to the power and handling of the car before they really hammer it.

And since they only have it in the US manuals, makes me believe this theory even more since we all know that the average American driver is pretty clueless.

I always follow it because of warranty concerns. I know that Lotus makes you break-in the Elise/Exige properly; because if you don't, they void your warranty. They download the info from the ECU during the first service and send it in to Lotus. The first service for Lotus is 1K kilometers, or about 600 miles. Again, this tells me that 2K is way too high.
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:09 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

track it on day 1. just dont go to redline.

i plan on 1st tracking with around 1000 miles but wont rev over 7k rpm until 2000 mi.
Old 07-26-2007 | 11:43 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I think the 2K break-in that Porsche recommends for all of their models is way too high. I don't know another manufacturer that has such a high mileage break-in. BMW I believe is 2nd with 1200 miles. I can't speak for Ferrari or Aston Martin or other exotics.

I read one theory on the 2K break-in that made a lot of sense. Porsche recommends this not for the car (although the first 500 to 1K miles it may be good for it), but for the DRIVER. These are high performance cars that make inexperienced first time owners think they are professional drivers, and they may think these cars can defy the laws of physics. So the 2K break-in gives the newbs some time to get used to the power and handling of the car before they really hammer it.

And since they only have it in the US manuals, makes me believe this theory even more since we all know that the average American driver is pretty clueless.

I always follow it because of warranty concerns. I know that Lotus makes you break-in the Elise/Exige properly; because if you don't, they void your warranty. They download the info from the ECU during the first service and send it in to Lotus. The first service for Lotus is 1K kilometers, or about 600 miles. Again, this tells me that 2K is way too high.
I totally agree...I've never seen a car that requires that many miles for a break in period. P is probably covering their ****.
Old 07-27-2007 | 10:32 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

matt guve me a shout if you can ... i may only have the rs for the fsr ???? maybe we can run head to head rs's??? that could be fun
Old 07-27-2007 | 04:10 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

there's no way aston or ferrari could "suggest" a 2k break in period...half the cars you see from them for sale on the web have 250-1800 miles after 3 years...I'm glad porsche's depreciation isn't directly tied to odometer because these cars are meant to be driven lots of miles...

the "driver" break in makes more sense, guess I didn't think of that
Old 07-27-2007 | 05:28 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

demo cars are sold with the same warranty and some times extended warranty. they are driven hard from day one.
Old 07-27-2007 | 08:31 PM
tocho1
Instructor

just read the manual...especifically says no motorsport events, driving schools, etc for the first 2000 miles....damn

Quick Reply: The RS just arrived - how soon can I track it?