Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 MkII 3.8L?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RR

Has it occurred to you that in a production car, electronic Direct Injection might be cheaper and more reliable than the mechanical equivalent? Audi have certainly found that to be the case, have a look at the RS4 motor.

Porsche very much cares about what their competitors are doing. Former Porsche engineer Ulrich Bez is now running Aston Martin and has Porsche very much in his sights. Audi is building direct competitors to top end Porsches with the Lamborghini Gallardo and the Audi R8, both of which are mid engined and ten and eight cylinder vehicles respectively. Porsche is carrying greater potential for price increases in the US market than either Aston Martin, or Lamborghini or Audi.

The replacement of the 911 is overdue. With the Panglossia, sorry Primera, sorry, Pamamerica, sorry Panamania, whateverthe bloody pissinger car is called about to be launched, is a four seater headline sports car still required? To reassert itself, Porsche needs an eight or ten cylinder mid rear engined car with a proper transaxle, not a longitudinal gearbox. Whilst its at it, they should go back to their roots and build the car out of aluminium, like the Gallardo and R8, built just up the road in Neckarsulm. In fact, they could take the ASF and shorten it for an eight cylinder car with transverse gearbox and have the best handling ploatform in class both on street and track.

Those people holding their breathe for the dual clutch gearbox better hope they don't get what they wish for, its not involving and technically its a blind alley. The seamless change being developed by F1 from its original roadgoing application holds more promise and is more interesting to drive.

Where you really miss the point is in thinking that it is the job of some future GT3 to 'blow away' the Turbo - absolute nonsense. In the homeland, the Turbo is for babes to go and have lunch with their girlfriends in and to impress their tennis coaches with, whilst the GT3 is for the Neaderthal types who fancy their chances as drivers.

R+C
Old 07-18-2007, 01:04 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry,

I said that Porsche will not DI AND enlargen the current 3.6L in the GT3. They will only do one or the other. And further I did not say or imply that Porsche will use the mech injected system they currently use on the 3.8 RSR.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
I highly doubt Porsche will offer a 3.8L AND DI in the next GT3. And I don't see Porsche electronically DI-ing the 964 block.
I believe the industrywide shift to DI is as much for ever-tightening emissions compliance as it is for increased power...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:16 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
In the homeland, the Turbo is for babes to go and have lunch with their girlfriends in and to impress their tennis coaches with, whilst the GT3 is for the Neaderthal types who fancy their chances as drivers.
R+C
so clarkson was just referring to the uk?
hhmmm! and your mum drives a turbo and plays tennis . . . she still a babe?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

The replacement of the 911 is overdue. With the Panglossia, sorry Primera, sorry, Pamamerica, sorry Panamania, whateverthe bloody pissinger car is called about to be launched, is a four seater headline sports car still required? To reassert itself, Porsche needs an eight or ten cylinder mid rear engined car with a proper transaxle, not a longitudinal gearbox. Whilst its at it, they should go back to their roots and build the car out of aluminium, like the Gallardo and R8, built just up the road in Neckarsulm. In fact, they could take the ASF and shorten it for an eight cylinder car with transverse gearbox and have the best handling ploatform in class both on street and track.

R+C
i am waiting....
Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by icon
so clarkson was just referring to the uk?
hhmmm! and your mum drives a turbo and plays tennis . . . she still a babe?
She's a retired babe.

Didn't Ry Cooder have a song about this..... 'Evry woman I know.....'

R+C

Tennis coaches are the Devil's spawn, I shoot clays off the tennis court, to make it interesting.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
i am waiting....
So am I, in the mean time my hopes rest with making the Cayman really interesting.

R+C
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Whilst you wait for the 3.8 GT3 production, I want to hold out for the 3.8 GT3 RS with the Sequential box.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by DM993tt
I want to hold out for the 3.8 GT3 RS with the Sequential box.
What do you mean - sequential box is a much abused term.

R+C
Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you mean - sequential box is a much abused term.

R+C
I was thinking something like this....
Six-speed sequential dog type manual transmission, straight cut gears re-designed for optimized drive shaft angle
“in-line” shift mechanism, sensor controlled traction interruption
oil-water heat exchanger
single-mass flywheel with triple-disc race clutch
limited slip differential 40/60%
http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...ogyandconcept/
Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by DM993tt
I was thinking something like this....
Six-speed sequential dog type manual transmission, straight cut gears re-designed for optimized drive shaft angle
“in-line” shift mechanism, sensor controlled traction interruption
oil-water heat exchanger
single-mass flywheel with triple-disc race clutch
limited slip differential 40/60%
http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...ogyandconcept/
you wouldn't want that on the street.

better look to what Ferrari or BMW or Lamborghini use.

R+C
Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I believe the industrywide shift to DI is as much for ever-tightening emissions compliance as it is for increased power...
Obviously it is but Porsche has only produced about 1500 GT3/RS's worldwide anyways - the bulk of their product is 997's, Cayennes, and Boxsters and they all will be DI anyways. That's why I am saying I highly doubt the next GT3 will have DI.

It simply won't be needed for emmissions compliance or power improvements in the GT3 line up b/c the majority of their models will already have DI allowing Porsche to have carbon credits to continue to use a non DI GT3. And in order for Porsche to maintain the power "superiority" over the "regular" model (see 997) they will just increase the displacement and NOT DI the GT3 motor.

F*ck, I'm so smart, I should be ruling the world.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

So am I, in the mean time my hopes rest with making the Cayman really interesting.

R+C
in EU, you got good local tuners. i would have made my cay S "interesting" if i had local and dependable tuner for mechanical support.

as you probably know that the power str pump, driven by crankshaft, is turning too fast at high engine rpm, frothing the fluid, puke, overheat and burn up. i looked into getting cup car electric pump set up and relocate to the front. but no one can help me out. i dont know one end of a hammer from the other, so i can't DIY. and the big race shops that can do it are not interested in my tiny project. oh well.

and although i no longer have my cay S, i still love the cars dynamic and potential. whether that potential will ever be reached really rest upon PAG's marketing dept. i know the engineering is all there.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
in EU, you got good local tuners. i would have made my cay S "interesting" if i had local and dependable tuner for mechanical support.

as you probably know that the power str pump, driven by crankshaft, is turning too fast at high engine rpm, frothing the fluid, puke, overheat and burn up. i looked into getting cup car electric pump set up and relocate to the front. but no one can help me out. i dont know one end of a hammer from the other, so i can't DIY. and the big race shops that can do it are not interested in my tiny project. oh well.

and although i no longer have my cay S, i still love the cars dynamic and potential. whether that potential will ever be reached really rest upon PAG's marketing dept. i know the engineering is all there.
Well why not speak to Paul Lambert at Stasis in Sonoma, he can fix you up with an LSD at the same time, or talk to Bruce Canepa in Scotts Valley, if you fancy a trip down the coast. Paul did the LSD for the Farnbacher Loles Gayboy.

You could always trade the Rentboy and get a Rufboy.

R+C
PS there is a lightweight door option for the Rufboy
Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
F*ck, I'm so smart, I should be ruling the world.
So, you think that they will leave the latest technology out of one of their flagship models? Doubt it. Personally, I'd wager that if they only do one or the other, that the MkII would be a 3.6 with DI.

And there aren't emissions 'credits' in California (and therefore for US spec Porsches)...either cars pass, or they don't and are not legal for sale.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 MkII 3.8L?