GT2 to be unveiled on 9/11/07 at Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:43 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Its not the price that is stupid, it's the exchange rate that is stupid.

During the time the Euro has been in use, the balance has swung. A US purchaser used to be able to buy a € 100,000 car for $ 80,000 now it is $ 138,000. That's an increase of $58,000 or 72.5%. Get the American Dollar to appreciate and the prices of cars will come back.

R+C

But you forget:

The Euro was introduced at $1.17, so that is the real baseline. Now it is $1.34, around 14% increase, depending how you compute the number. Over a number of years it is relatively easy, for a Professional Organization, to manage the small magnitude change.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
My "pricing expectations" are based on the prices of the rest of the 997 model range...are you suggesting that Porsche is pricing the GT2 out of line to cover the company's currency fluctuations? They'd be a lot better off raising the price an additional $500 on the 20,000 other sports cars they sell here rather than charging $30k over market value for 200 GT2s...
Recently PAG has made more money out of operations in the FX market than it has out of cars, the exact percentage is disputed by some analysts, but all agree that it is extremely significant. For several years the price of cars in the US market has been artificially low, supported by hedging and currency swaps. Eventually, PAG will run out of ways of combatting long term deviations in foreign exchange rates.

If PAG are only going to sell 200 GT2s, and nobody knows that, they will sell as many as the market will take, then a premium price is a good idea.

In the mean time PAG is working hard to keep 911 prices competitive. Without the contribution made by hedging, they would be losing market share to the likes of Aston Martin, for example. As it is, the price in the US is almost USD 30,000 than the pre-tax price in Germany, at current exchange rates.

I doubt that anybody at PAG will lose any sleep over the number of GT2s that are sold in the US, London bankers, Russians, people in the Gulf and the Chinese are queuing up for the car, at 'premium' prices.

R+C

Last edited by Nordschleife; 07-17-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colm
But you forget:

The Euro was introduced at $1.17, so that is the real baseline. Now it is $1.34, around 14% increase, depending how you compute the number. Over a number of years it is relatively easy, for a Professional Organization, to manage the small magnitude change.
I don't forget the circumstances surrounding the Euro's introduction, at an artificially high value inJ an 1999, for political rather than economic reasons. It fell precipitously for almost two years following its introduction. The long term future for the Euro, if it has one, and that is by no means certain, is much closer to parity with the dollar. There are no other car manufacturers who are as dependent upon money market and foreign exchange operations as PAG, at some stage, the bankers will be expecting to have some significant wins.

Remember that the points of origin for almost all series of data are 'artificial' and the Euro was more 'manufactured' than most. Had the US dollar not been even more over valued, its relative decline would not have been so pronounced.

R+C
Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=...Remember that the points of origin for almost all series of data are 'artificial' and the Euro was more 'manufactured' than most....
R+C[/QUOTE]

So, by extension of your argument all data points (since they individually can be considered a point of origin) are artificial. We will keep that in mind!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

So, by extension of your argument all data points (since they individually can be considered a point of origin) are artificial. We will keep that in mind!
Not at at all - the start point is arbitrary. So if the Euro had started at a point when the basket of currencies which goes to make up the Euro had been low, as opposed to artificially high, then the performance of the Euro and the Dollar aginst the Euro would look rather different in tetrospect. The Ecu and the ERM were discarded as part of the peculiar steps that were taken to get all the various economies into some kind of step and to balance the books (including bringing much of the Italian black economy into the official GDP figures) prior to launching the Euro.

As you well know, extending other people's arguments is fraught with error.

Whilst the Euro at $0.85 was not sustainable, nor is it at $1.38. However, whilst mindless money pours into the US from East Asia and is spend on current consumption and shoring up sub-prime debt, the currency is going to remain around present levels, and that means new Porsche cars will be expensive whilst they are made in Europe.

Some European monetarists forsee some countries chosing to leave the Euro, which might temporarily reduce the price of Pcars, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

R+C
Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
.. the start point is arbitrary.... R+C
Exactly my point, and any discussion regarding a $.8 Euro versus a $1.34 Euro does not hold up to economic scrutiny with regard to Porshe's pricing power and decisions. It makes the comparison artificial.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
SciFrog
Racer

997GT2 is the same price as the 996GT2, it is cheap then...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

1] it's f.g hideous with that new TT body
2] it's fast, but unless you run to NE NV, where you gonna use it?
3] i'm right there at 150 just like last time... it will be interesting to plot the market price/time next 2 years
4] 200 buys a perfect black stradale, why waste it on something this ugly?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by watt
1] it's f.g hideous with that new TT body
2] it's fast, but unless you run to NE NV, where you gonna use it?
3] i'm right there at 150 just like last time... it will be interesting to plot the market price/time next 2 years
4] 200 buys a perfect black stradale, why waste it on something this ugly?
Ah!

Watt, I think the Scuderia just took a chunk out of that $200K, but it might be a little while before the Stradale owners admit it.

Is that Scuderia supercharged?? (that BAR guage????)...510 HP and with a little low end grunt it will obsolete the Stradale faster than the GT2 price decline.

Oh, I also think it just took a chunk out of the greedy Porsche Dealers plans as well. I hope they Inventory all the GT2 cars hoping to sell them over MSRP, it will precipitate the price decline.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 AM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah!

Watt, I think the Scuderia just took a chunk out of that $200K, but it might be a little while before the Stradale owners admit it.

Is that Scuderia supercharged?? (that BAR guage????)...510 HP and with a little low end grunt it will obsolete the Stradale faster than the GT2 price decline.

Oh, I also think it just took a chunk out of the greedy Porsche Dealers plans as well. I hope they Inventory all the GT2 cars hoping to sell them over MSRP, it will precipitate the price decline.
The BAR gauge is oil pressure. I think the looks of the Scuderia will keep the Stradale strong...great car, will perform like crazy, but the Stradale will always be the more beautiful car. I thought the 430 rear end couldn't get uglier, I was wrong...this incarnation on the Scuderia is hideous. With only 358 US examples, the Stradale should stay relatively strong...all limited production, special edition Ferraris do.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

agreed. the scuderiA IS UGLY based on the 430, and it's a diifferent market at 350-400k market. the strad is timeless. Colm, chasing performance endlessly makes little sense in today's world, but if it's ugly.... i choose beauty over incremental speed I can't use daily anyway, the beauty I can use.

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

Can someone please clue me in to what they mean in that 1st sentence in the press release, about revolutionary design? this 997 gt2 is the same 911 they've been making forever!! the muffler is titanium, i guesss that counts///////////// love porsche!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lone wolf
Can someone please clue me in to what they mean in that 1st sentence in the press release, about revolutionary design? this 997 gt2 is the same 911 they've been making forever!! the muffler is titanium, i guesss that counts///////////// love porsche!
complete new take on air ingestion and launch control would do it.

Quick Reply: GT2 to be unveiled on 9/11/07 at Frankfurt