Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cup Car Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:33 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

To clarify, there is not much that is inherently more expensive between a street GT3 and cup car. If you were to run a street GT3 as hard as a cup car (i.e. in B stock) your consumables will cost about as much and damage repair would be as much in most cases.

If you are going to run DEs for a few years, the cost comes way down. You can use the same set of tires for a longer timeperiod, etc.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a lot to be said for a dedicated track car. In addition, as discussed above, track support (as well as pre-event preparation, etc.) also has a lot to be said for it.

For those who have not owned a fully prepared track car, jumping directly into a Cup car is quite a leap! I believe it would be highly advisable to begin with something down the performance scale a bit.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
let's say you just rent or buy one of those paddocks and get to keep your trailer and cup car there, and you're not "racing" but tracking it for a few sessions per month to "learn with the best tools" at the early stages of your track time continuum.... is it really worth the hassle to just get the street gt3, a few alignments, and beat her up on road and track?
Good question. Originally, my 996 GT3 was to be a 50% street/50% track car. After 12+ DE days since Sept '06, I am now ready to commit to making it a "track-only" car. Why? Driving it on the street is just not a thrill. I have another 911 in my garage for that purpose, so the "Porsche around town" checkbox is still met. My first DE in the stock GT3 was a blast, but then I realized I could have MORE fun if I added: the recaro/GT3 seats, track alignment, wing shims, the LWFR, the monoballs, the RS suspension, the Motons, the roll cage, rear toe links, etc. Now, I end up with a car that really shouldn't be driven on the street, mostly because driving in a car with a roll cage without a helmet is a disaster waiting to happen....

My recommendation: Buy the 997 GT3 as planned, run a few DEs, then ask the following two questions: 1) Is the 997 GT3 a "good enough" platform, to be driven 'as is' or modded to be more like an RS or a Cup? or 2) Do you feel the need for speed, and want to find a 996 or 997 GT3 Cup to get that experience out of the box?

Regarding costs:
I have everything I need at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. I can rent a two car garage in the paddock (equipped with compressor, heating, electricity, cable, internet, etc.) for $500/mo plus utilities (annual lease). I also have Synergy Racing on location, and they ONLY service GT3/GT3 Cups at a labor rate of $85/hour. I imagine that this set-up exists at many other tracks around the country...

This year, I will spend about $10K on my obsession (track time/tires/pads/a few mods) and will need to add $6K for the garage next year when I go that route. From what I understand, a Cup will run you roughly the same costs... Once I have "maxed out" my 996 GT3 platform, I will move up to a Cup. I suspect it will be a few years until then...

I've got a spreadsheet on every dime that I have spent on the car.. if you want to see it, send me a PM.

Good luck!
-Blake

Last edited by blake; 07-18-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Cup Car Questions