GT2 will have PSM

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,503 Likes on 2,277 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Are you sure about that? So, traction control kicks in whenever the ABS kicks in? Because whenever I brake for a turn, the ABS kicks in for everycar so is that mean I'll have to turn off the PSM again after every turn? Also, I see TTs spun even with PSM on (or off). Very strange. So, 996 GTs = the last of the non-electronics, huh?
it's a lot more complicated than that.
one, psm isn't exactly a traction control.
two, not every time you engage abs, psm comes on. you can abs all you want in straight line, psm will not come on. if you are in a turn and triggered abs, that essentially mean you f'up, so psm comes on.
three, if your psm is on the active mode, it comes on when it needs to and then back to active mode. if you turn it off by pushing the button, it will come back on when u braked at the wrong time and it thinks you are about to spin, once psm "fixed" the prob, it will go back to the "inactive" mode in the background.
four, it's normal to see TT spin even with psm on. it can help, but it's not going to change the laws of physics.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a great deal of confusion here.

what happens is dependent upon how well programmed the ESP/ABS sub systems are.

Firstly, with an ecu, a decent bus, and any of the recent ABS systems, traction control is a no brainer, as is launch control. However, if you get stuck in snow, take care not to set your pads on fire.

Secondly, the latest generations of ABS have elements of 'yaw control', so that if the ABS is active and the driver attempts a siudden change of direction (typically a lane change to avoid driving into something), then wheels will be controlled individually to assist with the change of direction.

Thirdly, traction control and esp will both brake individual wheels and cut engine revs, so their actions are similar.

ABS and ESP can be separately disabled. Traction control is a 'bolt on extra', that can also be disabled. The interaction between the systems is entirely controllasble. If what comes on the car as delivered is not to your taste, get it reprogrammed, what has been done by man can be undone.

R+C
Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM
frayed
Race Car

PSM = SC(stability control) + TC(traction control). What I don't think has been mentioned is that when you have a PSM car that comes with an open diff, the active braking component of TC stays on even with PSM is disengaged. This limits wheelspin. At least that was my recollection from the 997S and 996 C2. I guess the engineers figger that smokey one wheeled burnouts are too embarrassing in 90k porsche.

In the GT3, TC off and ABD goes away, which appears to be the case for the GT2 as well. Both cars have LSD. I guess the engineers figger that smokey two wheeled burnouts are OK.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
ABS and ESP can be separately disabled. Traction control is a 'bolt on extra', that can also be disabled. The interaction between the systems is entirely controllasble. If what comes on the car as delivered is not to your taste, get it reprogrammed, what has been done by man can be undone.
Before I got rid of my 996 Turbo, I contacted Ruf in Dallas.

They would not reprogram to deactivate the PSM, no doubt due to the nature of U.S. legal climate.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

R+C
That is what I was thinking too. However, if you can't do it by reprogramming the ECU, I would think that you could do an alternative "hack" yourself.

If the system turns on PSM after engaging ABS and you have to turn it back off each time, then all you would have to do as an example is the following:

If the system turns on PSM and it turns the PSM light on the dash on or off (I forget which way it is) when doing this, then I would think you can tap into this wire and check if it just went hot (turn on light) or not. When this is detected, your little "control module" (a relay I would think) would also be taped into the PSM on/off switch and immediately send power to the right wire to turn it back off (or at least within a very short period of time). This would allow you to not have to do it yourself each time to reset it.

So basically you are using the PSM dash light to trigger the PSM off switch. And having it set up this way would theoretically never allow the PSM to stay on even if you turned the PSM on yourself (it should go out right away if you did it right). To circumvent this condition, you would need an On/Off switch for your newly installed PSM control module/relay!

But as others have mentioned, it may be set up to only turn on when ABS is engaged in a corner (you screwed up), so it may not be an issue.

And once again, I know this is a hack and I don't recommend it; nor do I know if it would actually work. It is just an idea; my little brain just thought of it.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by 340Elise
That is what I was thinking too. However, if you can't do it by reprogramming the ECU, I would think that you could do an alternative "hack" yourself.

If the system turns on PSM after engaging ABS and you have to turn it back off each time, then all you would have to do as an example is the following:

If the system turns on PSM and it turns the PSM light on the dash on or off (I forget which way it is) when doing this, then I would think you can tap into this wire and check if it just went hot (turn on light) or not. When this is detected, your little "control module" (a relay I would think) would also be taped into the PSM on/off switch and immediately send power to the right wire to turn it back off (or at least within a very short period of time). This would allow you to not have to do it yourself each time to reset it.

So basically you are using the PSM dash light to trigger the PSM off switch. And having it set up this way would theoretically never allow the PSM to stay on even if you turned the PSM on yourself (it should go out right away if you did it right). To circumvent this condition, you would need an On/Off switch for your newly installed PSM control module/relay!

But as others have mentioned, it may be set up to only turn on when ABS is engaged in a corner (you screwed up), so it may not be an issue.

And once again, I know this is a hack and I don't recommend it; nor do I know if it would actually work. It is just an idea; my little brain just thought of it.
I know several tuners who will provide the means to turn off ESP and also to permit LFB in all circumstances. However, they do not advertise this service and will only do it for customers who they know to be competent.

Resetting the EGas flag is not difficult and the ESP defeat involves 'extremely basic hardware'.

R+C

Quick Reply: GT2 will have PSM