Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

993 last air cooled 911-- NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the story with corrosion protection without antifreeze? Water pump lubrication?

I suggested that the 996 GT3s driving at the 'ring should be running water only as there have been quite a few big coolant spills lately. one resulting in a fatality, but got a rather cool reception.

Whatever about cars sliding about on the coolant, bikes tend to fare much worse.

I'm going to drain radiator in my car and replace the coolant with water before venturing out onto the 'ring again with it myself.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no corrosion protection with just h20. Water wetter has rust and corrosion inhibitors. Add this to distilled h20 and you'll get same if not better results than 50/50.

Here's an interesting excerpt taken from http://e30m3performance.com/myths/mo...ter_wetter.htm

An additional benefit of using "Water Wetter" (in conjunction with 100% water) in you cooling system is that water has an extremely high heat capacity. Thus a gallon of 100% water can carry more heat away from you engine than an equivalent gallon of 50/50 water and coolant. Water also has a high thermal conductivity which increases the convection of heat away from the coolant passage walls and into the free stream of the liquid flowing through the passages.

"Water Wetter" does not increase the boiling point of water. Standard automotive coolant does increase the boiling point of the mixture above that of 100% water. But remember that if your cooling system is operating properly, it should never get hot enough to boil (I mean BOIL, not just localized boiling). Raising the boiling point of the coolant in passenger cars is primarily a safety measure, so that if the cooling system is over stressed (climbing a hill on a hot day with AC on), it will not boil over. On performance cars the primary duty of the cooling system is to keep the engine in its optimum temperature range. This is best accomplished with 100% water, because its high heat capacity makes it very efficient at transferring heat.

Performance cars often run relatively high cooling system pressures. This also raises the boiling point of the coolant. But the high system pressure is not used to avoid boiling so much as to allow the engine to operate at a higher temperature for reasons of efficiency. A higher cooling system bulk temperature also allows the use of a smaller radiator (there is a greater driving force to transfer heat from the coolant to the free stream air).

Quick Reply: 993 last air cooled 911-- NOT!