Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Could the simple solution to understeer be the right one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
I don't think understeer is the common gripe "right out of the box" with the RS. If anything, they are set up (Rear full stiff and front almost full soft) to oversteer from the factory.
Set up or not most of the RS's around here have huge understeer. I think that the tires are a big part of this problem. The channels in the N-spec tires rob almost 1.25 inches from contacting the road.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Yargk,
According to the Cargrahic catalog, the RS that won the Tuner GP had the 1 inch wider front fenders with 9.5x19 on 265/30-19 and 12.0x19 on 315/30/19. I don't think I've ever seen that rear tire size before. Assuming weight distribution was not altered too much, Cargraphic widened the front track a decent amount plus added 60mm of rubber vs 20mm to the rear.

My question is Porsche widened the rear track of the RS vs the GT3 with leaving the front unaltered. Wouldn't widening the front of the RS with the wider fenders and appropriate change in front wheel offset (no change in current tire and wheel sizes for the sake of argument) have a benefit as well?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
A wider wheel/tire will help the 997 GT3 to stop in shorter distances at full braking, but it won't help the understeer problem, because it happens at mid-corner and corner-exit where the front end is very light, more rubber with no extra weight won't help.
If you are having understeer problems at mid corner, there are several possibilities -

You have understeered through the early part of the corner and have applied more lock rather than less, intending to power out of the situation as you exit

You have not rotated sufficiently prior to arriving at the mid point

You have not transferred sufficient weight to the front axle

You are on the power early

There are a lot of options when it comes to dealing with this situation

increase your rotation early in the corner - if it is a right hand corner, make a small turn left to the outside of the track before smoothly turning the car in towards the apex, this will increase the turning motion and give you extra rotation, this is an alternative to trail braking and rather easier

when the car begins to understeer, unwind the steering wheel half a hand, or even a hand if you have tightened the steering wheel previously, unwi9nding the steering makes it easier for the tyres to regain grip, once they have regained grip they can start steering again

prior to losing all adhesion at the front axle, you can momentariloy transfer weight to the front tyre patchjes by momentarily tightening the steering hald a hand or so, causing the front wheeels to 'dig in', and transferring weight to the front axle and improving the turning

if you are on the power too early, you haven't entered fast enough, so enter faster, brake later and harder, increase the rotation earlier in the corner and you won't feel the need to get on the power early, so you won't experience throttle induced rearward weight transfer.

if you are still understeering at track out, you probably should have less steering angle and more throttle to move the rear end out, possibly you got this way by getting on the throttle to early having slowed too much coming into the corner.

R+C
Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
If you are having understeer problems at mid corner, there are several possibilities -

You have understeered through the early part of the corner and have applied more lock rather than less, intending to power out of the situation as you exit

You have not rotated sufficiently prior to arriving at the mid point

You have not transferred sufficient weight to the front axle

You are on the power early

There are a lot of options when it comes to dealing with this situation

increase your rotation early in the corner - if it is a right hand corner, make a small turn left to the outside of the track before smoothly turning the car in towards the apex, this will increase the turning motion and give you extra rotation, this is an alternative to trail braking and rather easier

when the car begins to understeer, unwind the steering wheel half a hand, or even a hand if you have tightened the steering wheel previously, unwi9nding the steering makes it easier for the tyres to regain grip, once they have regained grip they can start steering again

prior to losing all adhesion at the front axle, you can momentariloy transfer weight to the front tyre patchjes by momentarily tightening the steering hald a hand or so, causing the front wheeels to 'dig in', and transferring weight to the front axle and improving the turning

if you are on the power too early, you haven't entered fast enough, so enter faster, brake later and harder, increase the rotation earlier in the corner and you won't feel the need to get on the power early, so you won't experience throttle induced rearward weight transfer.

if you are still understeering at track out, you probably should have less steering angle and more throttle to move the rear end out, possibly you got this way by getting on the throttle to early having slowed too much coming into the corner.

R+C
great post Robin!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by eclou
great post Robin!
thanks, I'm glad it makes sense to somebody else

R+C
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks, I'm glad it makes sense to somebody else

R+C
Great explanation, on how to drive around an understeer situation.

Many experienced drivers have complained about the excessive tendency to understeer in the 997 GT3. I had the same problems with the 996 GT3, and a bunch of other cars I've driven.

The right suspension settings will make it disappear.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Where is that rule written?

As far as understeer goes, there is more than one way of dealing with it. One option is to increase the weight on the front axle (traction being a function of weight and contact patch area), so 'brake' on the front axle only, i.e. cause the front tyres to 'bite', momentarily tranferring weight forward and increasing the capacity to function as required. Once you are able to do this, you will find that oversteer is less of a problem.

Alternately, when presented with understeer you can unwind the steering wheel to increase the amount of turning effort, this may or may not be accompanied by increased power at the rear wheels, but take care that unweights the front wheels.

What I am saying is, don't get fixated by understeer, its there to look after people. Learn to drive through it.

FYI, most race drivers prefer understeer to oversteer. Most F1 cars actually understeer.

R+C
Robin - the issue of understeer raised by ApexLate, Racerron and myself is rathere different to what you describe above.

We all trail brake the car to promote rotation into the corner - no issue there. The problem is mid corner in big sweepers. The rear end is firmly planted but the front end washes out. The solution is to go more slowly - that isn't the objective on a track. Less throttle restores the balance but you get passed by pals driving the 996GT3 on Michelin Cups.

Based on recent experience, stickier tires change all that. Apex Late discovered that 18 in wheels from the 996 GT fit on the 997. With a set of 18 inch Cup tires, his 997GT3 went from understeer to oversteer! He corrected this by adjusting the sway bars which had been set to minimize understeer.

I'll comment further next week. I will be at the track for 3 days using my new Fikse wheels and Hoosier tires (if it is dry).

Best,
Old 07-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Bob

have you tried 'niggling' the front to momentarily transfer weight forwards.

Otherwise how about putting on spacers and oversized tyres, if you have three days at the track, I'd take some spacers to try.

R+C
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I will be at the track for 3 days using my new Fikse wheels and Hoosier tires (if it is dry).
Oh my!
I think you started a new arms race.
Touchette will need to bring more of those to the track soon.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Andrei
I am using hoosiers because the 18 inch cups have not arrived yet. Besides, apex late will be on hoosiers as well (unfair advantage)
Old 07-28-2007, 02:42 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
im with nj gt
+ 2
Old 07-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a brand new set of 18" MPSC F235 R295 which I won't be using next week.

I'll bring 'em if anybody needs them.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM
ze_shark
Instructor

Based on a stock, corner weighted set-up with front sway bar at 3/5 and rear full stiff, I got the advice to add 2.0deg of camber at the front and add as well OEM 5mm spacers on the front wheels. Has anyone played around with spacers to neutralize understeer ?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:07 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
I don't think understeer is the common gripe "right out of the box" with the RS. If anything, they are set up (Rear full stiff and front almost full soft) to oversteer from the factory.
um, no.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:08 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
All of this makes complete sense and I agree. I suppose my question boils down to: "why did cargraphic do it if it's not the way to go?" Their car is just a highly modified GT3 RS, it should have a similar weight distribution to the street car that it started out as. Also their goal seems to only be lower lap times in the Tuner GP.
Seriously? TO MAKE MONEY!

Quick Reply: Could the simple solution to understeer be the right one?