Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:19 PM
GT3Canuck
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection

Can anyone offer some insight into having paint protection (i.e. 3M) applied to my GT3?

I was wondering what the cost is as well as the general thiniking on what areas of the car are best protected.

Thanks,
Old 06-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3Canuck
Can anyone offer some insight into having paint protection (i.e. 3M) applied to my GT3?

I was wondering what the cost is as well as the general thiniking on what areas of the car are best protected.

Thanks,
Venture Shield is the best. Google them and you will find their
website. I did the front, headlights, door entry, back wheel "shoulders". Not the front lid, as I don't like the resultant line in the middle of the hood.

Regards,
Ray
'07 RS
Old 06-24-2007, 09:55 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Venture Shield is really good. I paid $800 and had 24' of the hood and side fenders done, the front bumper, mirrors, and headlights
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the whole hood, whole front bumper, whole front fenders done seamlessly. And also the rear quarter panels and wheel arches. About $1700.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:39 PM
GT3Canuck
AutoX

Thanks to all for the feedback! Seems like Venture Shield is the protection of choice.

Cabcar, I also went for GT-Silver. Do you happen to have any side shots of your car? I would be very interested to see how the car looks like with the blk wheels.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Shark-GT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT3Canuck
Cabcar, I also went for GT-Silver. Do you happen to have any side shots of your car? I would be very interested to see how the car looks like with the blk wheels.
+1
Old 06-25-2007, 03:58 AM
AggieAlum
1st Gear

Which clear bra product is least visible on white? Clearshield, VentureShield, 3M?
Anyone with past experience with a white vehicle care to chime in?

thnx.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:36 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AggieAlum
Which clear bra product is least visible on white? Clearshield, VentureShield, 3M?
Anyone with past experience with a white vehicle care to chime in?

thnx.
I agonised over this (white GT3). In the end, I decied that even the very best films (Venture Shield, I think is the one I, too, decided would be the one) would just be too visible.

Although there's a guarantee against yellowing, that doesn't mean it's not slightly yellow in the first place. Especially when it's not just-cleaned. Plus, the edges show very clearly on a white car that's not perfectly clean.

In the end, I decided a few (I hope it's only a few) stone chips are the lesser evil, partly because they don't cost anything to apply...

If you DO go for pretection, I'd be very interested to see/hear the result, of course.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:42 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority...I went with 3m, the full protection. Full hood, side view mirrors, headlights, front bumper. I had Venture film on my 997 C2S and hated it. It was the ****tiest job I've ever seen.

The 3m job has all the edges rolled. Can't see the film. Looks great.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:58 PM
scss98
Instructor

3M is fine for non white colors. it does yellow more and has a bit of optical wave if you look at it at an angle. the plus is that they make big sizes for full hood coverage. Venture is better on white but the normal wide sheets comes in 46 in so it won't quite cover a 996 or 997 hood. You'll have to get your installer to order the 50 in set and most of them don't carry it. (i.e., the installer will be stuck with excess stock he will not likely use) I have 3M on my polar silver 993 and Venture on my white 997 RS. The Venture is optically superior and easier to stretch around mirrors and curves. I'll see how they stand up at the track later this week. The 3M did fine on my 993. Installer skill is a bit factor for both. the 3m film adhesives becomes visible if you stretch it too much. It feels a touch thicker too.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:01 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

The one thing I could not stand about my Venture film was that it would scratch very easily. No amount of polish, wax, or Plexus would get rid of it. Really bummed me out. That and the kit was horrible...but that was more the installer than the product itself.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Edwin
Rennlist Member

I had the bottom 24" of the hood and fenders done and the entire front bumper area.

If I had it over to do again, I would cover the entire hood and front fenders....wouldn't see any line at all and get full protection for the front of the car....
Old 06-25-2007, 03:27 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GT3 is white, and I am very satisfied with Venture Shield. Make sure you do the entire hood, if you have a white car, as doing only one-half or smaller portion of the hood will result in a tell-tale line where the dirt collects.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM
oh yea
Instructor

Having the 3M installed on my RS as we speak . They just put on the front piece which covers the front graphics but they enclosed a piece of dirt 1/3 the size of a straight pin on the front bumper. They say if they remove/replace the piece to get the dirt they could ruin the graphics. Not sure what to do any thoughts.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:37 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

It would kill me to know it's there...but soon enough there'll be plenty of marks on the film itself...so don't worry about it!!

Quick Reply: Paint Protection