Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCB rotor replacement.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB rotor replacement.......

I was wondering if any of you guys have had to replace your PCCB rotors as a result of tracking your TT or GT3?
My rear PCCB rotors are shot and I could have replaced my brake pads a little earlier, but the pads were not ground down all the way to the plate yet!!
I've had about 10-15 track days and I already replaced the rear pads once!!
Any suggestions??

I have a full track alignment with motons and I am carrying a lot of speed with a 3400 lb or so TT so under heavy braking-can really wear out pads!!

My brother's RS has no brake issues-plenty of pad left and rotors look fine!!!
But only 3100 lbs!!

Thanks in advance fellow rennlisters!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bro, 1568 miles and I just had all my pads replaced on my PCCB's on the 997 GT3. I'm glad I didn't take your advice and run any longer last Monday, I was correct to stop when the warning lights went off. There was some other hardware that had to be replaced inside the calipers (including the sensors) that were burnt up, however they said it was normal for a car that was being tracked. My pads showed even wear across all wheels which means I wasn't using the ABS system hardly at all. None the less, expensive brake job! I had about the same amount of track time as you had. They showed me a little wear hole that I can monitor on the rotors, but my rotors still measure out like they were new. Did you hear what replacement rotors will cost if you have to do that??? Holy smokes!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Hey Jim,

Midwest Eurosport is replacing both at about $3600 per rotor. I know that the rotors run about 5 g's
I am sending the rotors that are shot and they are giving me a break-I guess this is called a core charge??
Since the TT is so heavy(compared to the GT3) I know I will be going thru pads and rotors a lot faster due to this fact and that I am carrying more speed a the end of the 4 straights!!!

For the TT in the future, I might be looking into a steel conversion with the cup car steel rotors!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

They told me this evening about $5,400 a rotor to replace, interesting to hear about a core charge exchange.

What exactly happened to your rear rotors that made them fail so early?

Give me the info on the cup car rotors after you find out... thanks man!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:46 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to sound obtuse but have you guys closely examined your braking techniques??? 1568 miles and worn out brake pads/shot rotors??? sounds very, very unusual for PCCBs...and I've been using them both on a 996 Turbo S (32k miles) and the RS (5k) miles. Rotors look new and pads still got 90%.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

My rotors are not shot, they still measure like new... I did go through a set of pads though... most of my 1500 miles are on the track. I drive it hard, and our track requires some hard braking at many points. I am wondering what happened to Eric's rotors though, I just want to learn and compare notes.

I have to admit, these pads lasted longer than what I use on my other track cars... I am not complaining at all.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Kevin or 4Curves(on rennlist) is an expert POC driver and has driven thousands of miles on track with his GT3 and
PCCBs 15K or more with no PCCB rotor problems at all. At Willow Springs where there is heavy braking with LOTS of speed and at Button willow. You need the right PADS!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Kevin or 4Curves(on rennlist) is an expert POC driver and has driven thousands of miles on track with his GT3 and
PCCBs 15K or more with no PCCB rotor problems at all. At Willow Springs where there is heavy braking with LOTS of speed and at Button willow. You need the right PADS!!!

Are there a better set of pads that can safely be used with the 2nd gen. PCCB rotors?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Jim,

It is surprising because they are my rear rotors on the TT, and not my front rotors!!

BobbyC,

If my front rotors needed replacement, I would definitely have to look at my braking technique, I do a lot of trail-braking. But the fronts are fine, the rears went out first!! odd??

Jim,

The rotor indicators(3 of them) showed up on my rear rotors, and I will let you know what I find out about the steel rotors on the cup cars!!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:20 AM
MWM
Intermediate

If PSM is on and you're overdriving the turns (very easy to do in a 4WD TT), you'll definitely chew through rear pads and rotors -- the car is frequently braking one of the rears to keep you out of the weeds. I don't have first-hand experience with the PCCB, but many are using RS29 pads with good results.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Thanks MWM!!
That explanation does help!!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:15 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Bacus
Are there a better set of pads that can safely be used with the 2nd gen. PCCB rotors?

I'm using Pagid RS29's and they have fantastic performance, last much longer than standard pads, with better bite and feel...

the only downside is that they are very NOISEY !!!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:28 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GlennMc
I'm using Pagid RS29's and they have fantastic performance, last much longer than standard pads, with better bite and feel...

the only downside is that they are very NOISEY !!!!!!
How are the rotors wearing with those pads?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:22 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Bacus
Yes, the PCCB green motorsport pads. I posted about these earlier, look at my old posts.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:13 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by cobrien
How are the rotors wearing with those pads?

No issues at all....they still look new..

G.

Quick Reply: PCCB rotor replacement.......