Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Appears that the heat is turning down on the GT3's

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Ritesh - no offense taken. Yes I can afford a track car. I can also afford to "abuse" my RS on the track. I question your interpretation of abuse however. For example my 95 993 saw lots of track use over a ten year period and in still being tracked by its new owner. The car is in wonderful shape because it was carefully maintained.

In sum, *that's* the whole point of the GT3.
I agree to a point. A GT3 or RS can't truely be appreciated on the street. It needs to be explored at the track. However, IMHO a 3200 lb car with Front and side airbags, full leather and carpeting doesn't make a track car. It might be an occasional DE car but if you are going to make it a "track" car you need to gut it out, put a cage, Motons, etc etc. If you are going to do that you might as well get a Cup or a 944 TT.

I mentioned the cup car since I figured the Porsche guys would go that route. Me personally - my defnition of track car is one that is disposable. I have a Spec miata(race car), a NSX with full Type R suspension, harness, 5 point(DE car) and the GT3(fun/wknd/occasional track car).

Regards, and at least you are enjoying your Porsche and thats all that matters
Old 05-31-2007, 07:34 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I agree to a point. A GT3 or RS can't truely be appreciated on the street. It needs to be explored at the track. However, IMHO a 3200 lb car with Front and side airbags, full leather and carpeting doesn't make a track car. It might be an occasional DE car but if you are going to make it a "track" car you need to gut it out, put a cage, Motons, etc etc. If you are going to do that you might as well get a Cup or a 944 TT.

I mentioned the cup car since I figured the Porsche guys would go that route. Me personally - my defnition of track car is one that is disposable. I have a Spec miata(race car), a NSX with full Type R suspension, harness, 5 point(DE car) and the GT3(fun/wknd/occasional track car).

Regards, and at least you are enjoying your Porsche and thats all that matters
Your definition of a track car is warped. Whether it's a Cup or a the RS that gets wadded...dollar hurt order of magnitude is same. With respect to putting in safety gear...one would have to put it in anyway regardless whether it's a RS or any other. In terms of the 3200 lb lug that the RS is...drive one on the track and then come back and tell how it fares against the rest of the bunch.

Cheers!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the question about the 20-30 lbs many could afford to lose. Instead of spending $3000 for lightweight two-piece rotors (well let's not go into unsprung vs. sprung - it's just a shallow example), why not drop some poundage? I am practicing what I preach. 5' 11" and about 160 lbs, so my BMI is 22. I had one guy a few years ago tell me to take a dump before going out on the track instead of beefing about how the new GT3 could not be had without a sunroof.

As to those of us enthusiasts debating the pros and cons of the new Porsches and how ironic it is that we have an opinion but aren't even GT3 or RS owners. Consider that many of us may not have purchased a GT3 because of how heavy they have become, that the concept of TC and loaded up RSAmericas aren't what we want, and that the sunroof was mandated in the GT3... And others of us may have purchased a 997S because we needed a daily driver street car that we could enjoy at DEs, but with a back seat for a young child... I think our opinions are valid - if we wanted a GT3 or RS we would have purchased one.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I had one guy a few years ago tell me to take a dump before going out on the track instead of beefing about how the new GT3 could not be had without a sunroof.
That dude takes 50 pound craps? Holy crap
Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bob that was funny as hell i may have to try it atsohbend this weekend... maybe i can place finish line as destination ... then i may finally know the line...lmao
Old 05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

No, no, no... He was talking about dumping 2-3 lbs before going out first session if I was so concerned about weight - it was in the context of a sunroof mandate thread

There's a place in Porsche-world for guys that don't want a dedicated track car - that want to get as close as possible by having a 2nd set of wheels and tires and swapping out brake pads. That want no frills - manual everything and no sunroof (I would have gladly taken a sunroof delete option for no cost reduction).
Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I know Ron....I was just being facetious

50# crap? EEEEEWWWWWW
Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I know you knew - just playing along... thus the
Old 05-31-2007, 08:52 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit I use my nav on unfamiliar mountain roads. A quick glance and I can see what is around the corner for the next mile or so. I have nav in all of my cars and would be hard pressed to give it up. Sorry! Wait, it's my car so it doesn't matter!

jv

Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Nav = good, if you want it.
6-disc CD = good, if you use the radio and want it.
Power everything = good, if you want all the creature comforts.
Cup holders = good, if you drink in your car.

Nav, 6-disc changer, power everything, cup holders in a GT3 RS at the track but not on the track = Curious reactions from crusty track junkies.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I can afford a track car.
Bob's doin' ok.

Siince you suggest a Cup car as a better alternative, let's look at the economics - $110K for a used cup car. Add a trailer ...
Trailers are a GREAT idea!

Where I live I am not allowed to park the rig in my driveway.
If you were in Ottawa I could offer you a place to park your rig ...

The beauty of the GT3 (any of them) is that you can drive to the track and then drive the wheels off it and then drive home. In our region there are a number of these cars tracked by excellent drivers (Rolex champ to name just one). With equal cars, it is a blast. I compliment Porshe for giving us a streetable car which is enjoyable on the track. That's a lot more than I can say for alleged sports cars with M or AMG badges. In sum, *that's* the whole point of the GT3.

I still think a trailer is a good idea though.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

I have removed the PCM/NAV unit to wire a Parrot Bluetooth into my TT. It weighs perhaps 3 lbs. It looks a hell of alot better than the non-PCM headunit (2.5 lbs) which is shared by the $40k Boxster. Alot of you guys are opting for the GT3/RS Firebird-esque stickers to distinguish your cars from other lesser brethen. I see no reason why that shouldn't extend to the interior of a >$110k car.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:13 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

This is quite an interesting conversation. I can't wait to see what kind of flak I get. I have been driving a track-ready 993 C2S (3800 pounds w/o me) and having a blast. Not to mention I've been getting faster over the past 2 years of running the car. Car has Moton suspension, DAS rolbar, seats, harnesses, tires, wheels, and exhaust. Still has full interior (other than seats) including stereo, a/c, carpet, etc. Sure, it could weigh less, but it doesn't need to. Plenty fast as it is and I keep up OK with the red groups.

I just got a GT3 with a TON of options includ. stereo, heated seats (OMG!), self-dimming mirrors, and more. And yes, I'm going to track it. Can't wait for "those guys" that want to laugh at the cars and the fact they do not do "track cars" justice. Just wait until I get ON the track.

Last edited by NoSubEDU; 06-01-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:23 PM
tocho1
Instructor

NoSubEDU..please don't tell me you got air-con too!!!!!!???? Are you crazy? (Im rolling my eyes as I write btw)
Old 06-01-2007, 12:27 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

nosubedu ...you in raleigh????? what gt3 did you get? hell as long as fun for you dont worry bout the rest of them!

Quick Reply: Appears that the heat is turning down on the GT3's