Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

STORAGE LIFT

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 AM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default STORAGE LIFT

THINKING OF PUTTIMNG A STORAGE LIFT IN MY GARAGE FOR WINTER STORAGE OF CAR- CAN ANY ONE RECOMMEND A LIFT STYLE/MFG. WHICH THEY HAVE USED AND HOW HARD IS SETTING IT UP
MANY THANKS
Old 05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went through this research. I've been meaning to get a storage and service hoist at home for ages.

You have choices to consider.

Four post:
A real storage and service four-post with accessories is the "do it all" of home hoists. It has the most configuration options and sizes and prices to consider too. I also like the option to have it on casters (wheels) so it can be raised and rolled around. In this way, you can have it pushed against the wall for storage mode, then rolled (with or without a car on it) out to the centre of the garage for servicing. With the right accessories, it can store the car on the chassis or on the wheels and be used for engine-out work or wheels off for brakes and suspension etc. The ramps can be leveled and the hoist used for alignments (with turn plates) or corner balancing.

A four post can be rated for very heavy vehicle and it has the convenience of being a "drive on" because of the ramps, there's no lift arms to position under the lift points of the car, so it's a quick in and out proposition making it almost a third garage. Of course, the real third garage is a race trailer ... : )

Single Post:
This is the purpose buit space saver and the show pony of home hoists. It is great for appearance and space, but more expensive and less versatile mostly because the design has one or two arms reaching across under the car and you have to be able to either get out and retract those arms or have the car ramped up enough to get over them etc. A "drive on" version of a single post is the most convenient, but also less versatile and not rated for SUVs.

Two Post:
And of course you can get a two post service hoist, fit some drip trays and leave it in the raised position. It won't be rated for earthquakes and -- like any design except a four-post -- will require a foundation floor slab. Be sure to get an angled "assymetrical" design where the posts are set at an angle away from the car (making it much easier to open the doors without bumping the posts.)

In-ground:
The only other storage option is an in-ground elevator (where the stored car is below ground in a pit) and that's very cool for existing houses where there's inadequate ceiling height or other design or construction limitations.

Installation:
Installation is generally done by the company selling the hoist. Whether you assemble it yourself or have them do it, expect the hoist to be covered in scratches and chipped paint from transport and during the assembly. Either stipulate your concern for it arriving properly protected (most places just won't agree to this because they pack the painted metal in wood and plastic which immediately takes off the paint ...) or budget on having it touched up or even completely painted and polished once it's installed. It depends on the garage of course.

If you're on a budget and want to DIY to save money, have a friend or three willing to help out for about three hours one evening.

Expect the hoist to arrive in several boxes weighing too much to be moved. And the delivery company will need a place where they can maneuver their fork lift and their delivery truck, so expect it at the end of the driveway. If you have to move up and down a sloping driveway, things will get complicated.

Once you have the huge, heavy boxes in your driveway, you'll disassemble them and two or four people can carry (or use a dolly or two) and get everthing aseembled and positioned in the garage. IF it's a four post, you can finish. Any other design will require a professional installation (or no warranty and you'd void the insurance on your house and your car if the thing fell over and squished one of the neighbor's kids ... : )

Locally, all labor work is expensive and installation is about $500 assuming no complications and assuming a foundation slab cement floor in the garage. If the installer can't get their fork lift into your garage, they'll charge extra for the workers to manually raise the posts etc.

If possible, budget on wiring the hoist 220-240V. This will allow it to raise much faster (usually about half the time) and while it might not seem a lot to wait 100 seconds instead of 50 seconds, sure enough, the third or fourth time you use the hoist in one day, you'll be calling the electrician ...

All that said, given my garage space and budget preferences, here's what I chose:

http://www.directlift.com
http://www.qtetools.com/DirectLift.asp

Some negotiation over the phone with a local supplier should help shave a couple of hundred off the price and get all the accessories at a discount. Just make sure you have enough drip tray coverage to be sure the whole underside of the car is protected (especially important in wet weather.)
Old 05-26-2007, 01:53 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be ordering a lift next week. A 4 poster for sure, with enough height to put a large SUV under or over. When I researched it, I found many people sell the same unit, looks like the one you got. This one (I think) is made in China, and sold to many US distributors. I am leaning to "Backyard Buddy", costs more, but should be much stronger (earth quake country here). I would really hate to see my Z8 fall on my 3, or vice versa! I'll get a pro installer.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try american custom lifts @ 1-888-711-5438 and ask for Brad Davies
He will tell you all the options you have. I have 2 single posts lifts in my garage because space is a little tight and they work very well!!

Quick Reply: STORAGE LIFT