Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Brakes again

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Unitah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't disagree with you, I am certain I am not beating on the car as much as a professional driver would beat on an RSR or Cup car, absolutely. However, I would think it just makes sense that a car (any car) would brake better on slicks then it would on street tires, just because all that extra grip generated by the slicks would translate to more braking force (or utilizing more of the braking force generated by the brakes). Am I right in this line of thought? It is easy to confirm this in terms of seat of the pants feel and braking distance. I find that I can go MUCH deeper into the braking zone on slicks then I can on MPSC's.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unitah
I don't disagree with you, I am certain I am not beating on the car as much as a professional driver would beat on an RSR or Cup car, absolutely. However, I would think it just makes sense that a car (any car) would brake better on slicks then it would on street tires, just because all that extra grip generated by the slicks would translate to more braking force (or utilizing more of the braking force generated by the brakes). Am I right in this line of thought? It is easy to confirm this in terms of seat of the pants feel and braking distance. I find that I can go MUCH deeper into the braking zone on slicks then I can on MPSC's.
Trials at the Nürburgring, during development of cars for the VLN (German Endurance racing series), showed that

- putting slicks on a car with a street ABS caused the ABS to cut inh sub-optimally
- overall braking performance with a street ABS was less good than with the ABS removed
- the best braking performance was with slicks and a race ABS
- under extreme driving conditions, 24 Hour race, slippery surfaces, rain etc., cars fitted with slicks and ABS had better braking pwerformance and were easier to drive than without the race ABS.

Race ABS systems are not available for all cars 'out of the box', somebody has to do some development work (fortunately I have friends who do this).

Now, here is my free gift to enduro racers - and it doesn't work on ALL cars.

If you can't get a race ABS for your car, fit a street ABS, with a cut out switch. Only turn the ABS on when you have rain tyres fitted (experiment with slicks in the wet, by all means). Being fast in the rain is good for the soukl and demoralises the opposition. In cidentally, the best place to put the switch is the leading edge of the door - because it is safest to turn the engine off before switching the ABS in or out.

R+C

R+C
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Here's my question. Can I install race ABS in my 997 GT-3 and if so, what is involved?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by mitch236
Here's my question. Can I install race ABS in my 997 GT-3 and if so, what is involved?
all that is involved is MONEY - fortunately not much - off the top of my head, Manthey, Ruf, TechArt do this as I am sure 9ff. RS Tuning, CarGraphic, Gemballa - its a bolt up onj a 911 - get the system from the 996 GT3 Cup.

But, I do not know how smart it is on gravel or snow, or ice, or snow, or leaves.

I did actually figure out an ABS / TC system that was positionally aware, but it took a deal of programming, so not worth it as few pro series allow ABS.

R+C

Quick Reply: Brakes again