Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 and RS Understeer! Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

I mentioned this in a PM to BOb the other day but has anyone tried disconnecting the PASM plugs to the shocks? My understanding is that this would effectively lock them in either full stiff or full soft and you could see if it's a PASM issue, ie they are soft on entry and then stiffen up and force the nose wide.
At least this would be consistent.
Just a thought...
Old 05-11-2007, 06:13 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car would get extremely bouncy even at parking lot speeds if there is a detected fault with pasm.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Doc2s - you seem to have more technical info that I do. Am I correct in understanding that PASM set to the firm mode (the shock absorber button) leaves the shocks in that mode and that there is no automatic adaptation? If so, I plan on dialing the car in using that mode and try and remember to push that button before every session
Old 05-11-2007, 06:33 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Doc2s - you seem to have more technical info that I do. Am I correct in understanding that PASM set to the firm mode (the shock absorber button) leaves the shocks in that mode and that there is no automatic adaptation? If so, I plan on dialing the car in using that mode and try and remember to push that button before every session
bob,

with pasm there is adaptation within each mode normal or sport. damping is varied quite a bit within a mode and that is why it gives an artificail reactive feeling to the car.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:10 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Bob

The firm setting is slower at the Nürburgring than the normal setting.

At speeds above 250kph, the firm setting is best disabled, otherwise you spend too much time airborne.

R+C
Old 05-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Robin - thanks. I am not surprised. I am thinking of smooooooooth tracks. I can imagine how it would be more of an airplane on anything with a few irregularities. I will be testing my new set up today. I see elsewhere that Apex Late was able to make his car turn properly, so I am optimistic!

Best,
Old 05-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Bob

The firm setting is slower at the Nürburgring than the normal setting.

At speeds above 250kph, the firm setting is best disabled, otherwise you spend too much time airborne.

R+C

Hey Bob,

I guess I should have pointed this out in my other thread. With my test I had only the sport button on. I totally forgot to try the PASM button. Too much stuff in this new GT3. So I guess that I will have to do another test now.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

gosh darn, an-oth-er test! Poor baby
Old 05-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to remember to push the SPASM button as it will be always on until you turn it off and vice-versa.
The "Sport" exhaust button on the other hand will always default to off and has to be turned on if you want more noise.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:24 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Racerron
No need to remember to push the SPASM button as it will be always on until you turn it off and vice-versa.
The "Sport" exhaust button on the other hand will always default to off and has to be turned on if you want more noise.
Just to clarify, you cannot turn SPASM off.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:32 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

frayed, I guess he meant the button itself. If you select the "Sport" setting it will always be on even if you turn the car off.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I experienced a ton of understeer until I pressed the Sport button - the problem instantly and completely disappeared. The balance was nearly perfect using the ‘Circuit Alignment’ on Pirelli Corsas - stock. Mid 1:35s at Road Atlanta.

Hank
Old 05-13-2007, 05:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

Hank, your results make one wonder. . . are the track specs designed around PASM in sport mode? Seems so.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Road Atlanta was just repaved in January-February of this year. The grip is relatively high and there are few bumps. I am embarrassed to say that I don't know what the middle button "Sport" does. I thought it further tuned the suspension to let you get away with more slip angle before intervention and gave the driver faster throttle response.

I know when I first starting using it, I had to recalibrate my right foot to maintain smooth throttle inputs as smaller movements seemed to yield larger changes in power. In truth, Road Atlanta has one near-maximum braking turn (turn 7) that is close to 90 degrees that leads onto the long back straight. That is where the problem was with the button in the normal mode.

Before I pressed the button I came in complaining just like a lot of owners on this board are doing now. I thought it might have been the Pirellis and even bought a set of 18s for the car that I have not yet mounted. Given the times it can turn on stock Pirelli rubber, I think I'll just stay on stock wheels and stock rubber.

Given what my GT3 can do, I’d love to have a crack at the track in an RS. I suspect that another second or so would be easy. High 1:33s to mid 1:34s in a street car on street rubber would be incredible!

Hank
Old 05-13-2007, 07:52 PM
gerkebi
Instructor

Just spent a day a Mid Ohio in the RS. Stock settings all the way, street set-up from the factory, Corsas. I wanted to get a baseline. Bottom line, the car is brutally fast, loved the added headroom of the higher redline on the back-straight.

The engine is so flexible I could do the whole track in 3rd and 4th. If I went into turn 5 at the end of the back straight deeper I would probably need 5th. I couldn't go back today or I'm sure I would have needed 5th.

Anyway, in stock street setup it does understeer. I had to get off the throttle in the Keyhole to point the car properly. Not terrible, the track setup should correct most of the problems.

One funky thing is that the tire pressure sensors really get fooled as the tires heat up. I had to take manual readings all day to keep things under control, and when I went out the sensor read "tires flat!" until they got some heat in them. You get this message when the tires are 7 pounds off pressure. I'm putting nitrogen in them before the next track day.

Anyway, the car kicks serious *** right out of the box. Easily the fastest car at the track this weekend.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 and RS Understeer! Alignment Question