How many RS Have Welded Plates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
race cars have a welded full cage, no need for those plates in race car tubs

Exactly...thus no correlation B/W surplus race tubs and street tubs as the race tubs do not use welded plates with bolts.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those plates look very simple to fabricate and install.

A, it seems to be just welded to the floor.
B, because there is no sound deadening, there's nothing to pull up off the floor for you to weld them in.

What you guys need is someone who has the plates in their car, to supply the following information:

What is the size and thickness of the plate?
What are the bolt spacings?
What is the bolt length?
What is the bolt thread form? (I'm guessing 8mm X 1mm)
Is there a plate welded under the car as well? (If so, what size)
Do the bolts come from under the car or are they "sandwiched" between the plate and the floor pan? (ie. headless bolts welded to the plate)

Once you have that information any reasonable machine shop can make them up. Hell I could fabricate those in about 30 min. (But I am a Mechanical Fitter though) Down here, 6 bolts and 2 plates would cost less than $10 for materials!

Once you have the plates and the roll bar, attach the roll bar to the plates during the install then weld them in place. This ensures they are in the correct position.

All you need then is a small can of spray paint in your color and "Bob's your Uncle"!!!

Good luck Guys

If I can be of any help, just ask......
Old 05-24-2007, 09:26 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoideas

B, because there is no sound deadening, there's nothing to pull up off the floor for you to weld them in.

What you guys need is someone who has the plates in their car, to supply the following information:

What is the bolt length?
Do the bolts come from under the car or are they "sandwiched" between the plate and the floor pan? (ie. headless bolts welded to the plate)

Once you have that information any reasonable machine shop can make them up. Hell I could fabricate those in about 30 min. (But I am a Mechanical Fitter though) Down here, 6 bolts and 2 plates would cost less than $10 for materials!

Once you have the plates and the roll bar, attach the roll bar to the plates during the install then weld them in place. This ensures they are in the correct position.

All you need then is a small can of spray paint in your color and "Bob's your Uncle"!!!

Good luck Guys

How much is shipping to Australia?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:04 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoideas

What is the bolt length?

Good luck Guys

a simple template made from an existing plate and your done....they look like they are tack welded in from the pics.....dunno if they have a backing plate or not....we need Bobby C to get under his car and check that out and then let us know.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
a simple template made from an existing plate and your done....they look like they are tack welded in from the pics.....dunno if they have a backing plate or not....we need Bobby C to get under his car and check that out and then let us know.
Will happily do that and post pics when the rollbar installation is done.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, the welding with standard methods will heat up the whole area and burn paint, rubber, carpet, glue, and other dangers and smells. The way to do it is with glue, the same stuff that volvo uses to glue the frame and structure together and they are the most safe car builder. I will glue my plates in if no plates come standard. I spoke with my dealer today about the plates and he said that he was told that now the rest of the cars will have plates but nothing for sure.

Jim Huber
Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimhuber
I spoke with my dealer today about the plates and he said that he was told that now the rest of the cars will have plates but nothing for sure.

Jim Huber
Early production had them, mid production didn't and now the remaining ones should have them........ Ya right!! Does your dealer know you are quoting him on the net. Tell him to stop the nonsense.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Welding in a car with an interior is also a nice recipe for a fire, or at a minimum a damaged interior.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

You know, the welding with standard methods will heat up the whole area and burn paint, rubber, carpet, glue, and other dangers and smells. The way to do it is with glue, the same stuff that volvo uses to glue the frame and structure together and they are the most safe car builder. I will glue my plates in if no plates come standard. I spoke with my dealer today about the plates and he said that he was told that now the rest of the cars will have plates but nothing for sure.

Jim Huber
Hi Jim,

If you decide to strike an arc inside a car with out taking precautions, you are correct!
However, many cars are welded at body shops every day, all over the world. Not all of them end up the way you described
If proper precautions are taken and the correct insulation is used, it tends to be an uneventful experience. In relation to excessive heat, that's why MIG welders are used. If operated correctly they introduce minimal heat into the exposed area. This is why Body shops use them to repair panels. Less heat equals less distortion to the panel.

I relation to glue you are right. Pantecon Semi trailers usually have the sides glued on. That’s how they can span 40’ with such a clean skin. A Sikaflex product is often used in this situation. Military Hummers have glued on door skins as do most modern vehicles these days.
It’s just that if you are going to glue the front legs of your roll bar down, please make sure that it’s bloody good glue! The RS roll bars that I have seen on this forum have a harness bar attached to them. In the event of a frontal collision the shear loading exerted by the harness on the fixing points of the bar would be enormous. I’m not sure whether I would want my welfare to rely on that.
If you do go the glue path, the paint at the fixing area will have to be removed and the metal surface roughened up to give the glue something to hang on to. This is also true of the mating part. Depending on the glue type a primer should also be used. This will provide the strongest ‘mechanical’ bond in that situation. Personally, I would rather drill holes through the floor and mount a plate top and bottom. Then bolt the bar to that. The bolts would come up from underneath, go through the plate, then the floor, then the top plate and finally the roll bar. = no welding + super strong
Please keep us informed when the time arises.

Welding in a car with an interior is also a nice recipe for a fire, or at a minimum a damaged interior.
Hi Greg,

I agree with you that welding in a car with an interior is a nice recipe for a fire, however if proper precautions are take it can be perfectly safe. It often depends on who your welder is and how much time is spent on the job.

I don’t agree that the interior would be damaged as a minimum. I have seen many 911’s converted from left to right hand drive down here by cutting out the Dash face, top and boot (trunk) floor and then the RHD pieces being welded in. This occurs without any damage to the paint or interior.
Again, this depends on the operator

How much is shipping to Australia?
Bobby C,

If you can supply me with the information I need, I will make you a set of plates and send them to you free!!!
All I would need in return is some detailed measurements of your Carbon Fiber wing.
It’s a win, win situation

PM me if you want to take me up on it.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Has anyone looked in the body section of the parts system for the plates and their part number?

I bet the plates are there- they may not be shown in the illustration though but in the text.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

system doesn't show the plates.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a guy check for any hidden items, but nothing to do with the plates.

I'm still curious to hear from someone with the plates in their car and find out if the A pillar plates are there too.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:34 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'm still curious to hear from someone with the plates in their car and find out if the A pillar plates are there too.

I found these instructions, so I thought you guys might like them?

It shows the 'A' pillar mounts with a plate under the floor and lists bolts, nuts, and washers, so maybe there isn't a plate welded inside.

Now, is anyone willing to take a tape measure to their roll bar for me??? I'm doing one for my 911.

Last edited by psychoideas; 08-27-2007 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...I spoke with my dealer today about the plates and he said that he was told that now the rest of the cars will have plates but nothing for sure.

Jim Huber
Jim,

Is this the same dealer who is saying there won't be more RSs?

You can tell him none of the US cars were/are supposed to have them.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

all the one's I've seen in person (3 thus far) did NOT have them...none of the one's coming will have them either.

Quick Reply: How many RS Have Welded Plates?