997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2 more RS available

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
freetrog
Advanced

Location: TX - wasn't born here but got here fast as I could...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL
Old 05-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by freetrog
CGT - you must have missed the news about micrsoft and yahoo.... Those guys just added a couple of zero's to their net worth on Friday (if it happens or not..)

I like your avatar too....
That news was gone as quickly as it showed up -- and the net effect was to take value out of YHOO. Those zeroes replaced some numbers. : )

Anyway, move along with the Avatar ...

(visualize DeNiro using the two fingers to his eyes then pointing at Stiller in Meet the Fockers)
Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 AM
freetrog
Advanced

Location: TX - wasn't born here but got here fast as I could...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm outa here... You guys with money scare me

Back to the breezy climes of the air cooled lounge...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by whakiewes
...you can't go and order an RS. There are no more to be ordered.
For now. It's naive to think Porsche won't possibly re-introduce an improved version before the end of the 997's life cycle, to be followed by a 998GT3RS, and so on. Which will send current RS values below MSRP rather quickly.

And new GT3s are available from dealers at MSRP; plenty of people are abandoning orders.

Yes, Ray will probably unload those cars at a profit...doesn't mean we can't question the wisdom of the buyers, regardless of how deep their pockets, without being accused of "having a fit".
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
For now. It's naive to think Porsche won't possibly re-introduce an improved version before the end of the 997's life cycle, to be followed by a 998GT3RS, and so on. Which will send current RS values below MSRP rather quickly...
That's not always the case...some older "variants" hold their value better than some of the newer ones...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,

In a market of 200 cars, 1% of the market is a big stride towards cornering the market. I agree that if he sells them at that price he will set a precedent. Even if he never sells another one, that will be four cars sold for more than $30k over MSRP. Anyone with an RS or ordering an RS will be set. I don't honestly think they will appreciate, but I think anyone driving one could sell it today for MSRP +. If the GT2 offers equal rarity and equal/better performance, you can guaratee you won't see anymore 200k RS's. What people are paying now is the original gotta have it push. Once that is gone I think they will float around MSRP for driven cars and MSRP + a few thousand for very low mileage (<1000) cars. Flooding the market...not entirely, but how many other RS's are for sale right now?

I don't know Ray personally, just the cars he buys and sells. I've talked with him once for a duration of no more than 30 seconds. He makes a living off other peoples money doing something he enjoy's...who can argue. He makes his money from knowing people...challenges even the best politicians. He does have beautiful cars and is a very nice guy from my understanding though.

Wes
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
whakiewes
Pro

For some reason I feel that you are misunderstanding me. Bob, Colm, etc.. aren't selling their cars. So that doesn't reflect the resale market. They may put their cars for sale if they see mulitple 200K dollar cars, but otherwise they won't be. I was merely stating that if you want to buy an RS, Ray has the monopoly on it right now. There were two for sale in NJ, one of which sold. There was one for sale in Chicage, which is sold. Right now so far as I can find there are three for sale. A NJ Black/Orange and Ray's cars. All of which are asking in the $200k range. That said, if you would like to purchase an RS, you have a choice; $198.5k, 198.5K, or 201k through a dealer. Those who have ordered and are recieving a car are excluded as they are locked into a certain price negotiated some time ago. That said, Ray has the market running under his belt.

You didn't say anything about a precedent. Someone else did and I was concluding that in my post. I concured that if all these cars sell at even $175k, that will set a precedent and 'I can guarantee you' that you will see multiple RS's pop up for sale. They will take a serious drop though at that time when the market is seeing 10 cars for sale versus 3. Thus the precedent is set that rare Porsches can fetch Ferrari type mark-ups.

I still sense a form of hostility. I am unsure why? Like you, I don't own an RS, but I am able to watch and analyze market trends. The original post was about RS's for sale at high prices, then it was about Ray Joseph selling them, and now its about how Ray is or isn't cornering the market. I was merely stating that Ray has enough contacts to sell those cars at those prices. People who know him and purchase from him know what he sells, and many of them have the means to purchase a car like this. Many of the enthusiasts jumped on board and got an order placed, but there are those select few who don't particularly care or missed a spot who want one now.

Wes

P.S. Considering production will continue to August, that means the market is closer to 2/180, or about 1.1%.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
That's not always the case...some older "variants" hold their value better than some of the newer ones...
Yes, of course. That's why I said "an improved version". Be it DSG/PDK, FSI, a "Cup tub" as Mr. Huber is claiming in another thread, 3.8 motor, facelifted bumper caps, PCCB III, more colors...any or all could be possible in the next couple years.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Paul523
Pro

These RS market price threads are perpetual train wrecks, yet i can't bring myself to look away & go do something important .... RPM's orange RS is up on Ebay for Buyitnow $198k... to me the absence of true auction format means they may be hesitant about where the $ at which the bidding will peter out... it would be interesting to see a couple or three RS simultaneously at Barrett-Jackson auction with a few weeks advance posting.

Originally Posted by whakiewes
... An Orange/Black RS sold for $198k last week. Another Black/Orange sold for $182k two weeks ago with 100+ miles on it.
Wes, unless these were at auction or you work for the dealer, or the state title agency I can't imagine how you are privvy to true sale prices. Dealers perpetually trumpet high transaction prices, it's their business to do so.....& the megabucks buyers you referred to-- the ones practicing inelastic demand/price and brief ownership of a dozen cars a year-- will dismissively wave off talk of what they paid... money is like oxygen, there so much of it why brag about thrift?... why set the bar any lower than necessary for their inevitable RS resale?

If one of my clients or associates were awarded membership to Augusta national golf club, would they boast about how little the initiation fee? nah, they'd infer the opposite..defines 'exclusive'.

Quick Reply: 2 more RS available