Ok, I test drove a GT3 RS....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:08 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ok, I test drove a GT3 RS....

Thanks BobbyC for an unforgettable experience.

Last weekend we had an autocross with NNJR-PCA. BobbyC shows up with his gorgeous Orange 2007 GT3 RS equipped with PCCB. I went out with him as a passenger, and I was surprised by the car capabilities.

I took the car out with BobbyC as a passenger. The car is on stock alignment, stock sway bar settings, stock MPSC, on a windy and cold day. My time was just 1.8 secs from the fastest time of the day, not even trying hard, as it is not my car.

This is a link to a video taken by one of the participants at the event. Most of the driving by BobbyC, with the exception of yours truly at 2:12 up to the finish.

BobbyC and NJ-GT AutoX Video - GT3 RS

In addition to what RS owners/drivers have mentioned, I would like to add:

- The car is beautiful. Just on the looks alone it's a winner. Even if it doesn't perform, it's a bargain, but it actually performs.

- The exhaust is not as loud as I expected. Better sound than the stock 996 GT3. However, it's too quiet inside. Definitely there is a lot of sound insulation, and that gives a false perception of disconnection compared to the 996 GT3 until you drive the RS.

- Porsche did a great job setting the suspension. This car has a stock alignment, lifting at the limits of grips on a turn lets the tail out immediately, the 996 GT3 doesn't break loose that easy.

- The RS pushes, but not as bad as the 996 GT3 did. It's just a minor push.

- I just got used to the thicker steering, so If I was to get the RS, I would order it even though it comes in leather instead of Alcantara.

- Brakes can't be fully tested in an AutoX. The PCCB offer as good modulation as I've in my Gen I PCCB 996 GT3.

- The rear end feels planted. I purposely applied more gas over a bump (2:32 on the video) that I knew would unsettle most cars. This car just kept going without need for corrections.

- I could not hear the flywheel chatter I've in my 996 GT3. This is probably the result of better/additional sound insulation.

- One of my big concerns with the 997 GT3 was the variable steering ratio, and there is no better place to feel its disadvantages than a medium speed AutoX. The steering feels natural and precise.

- This car feels bigger than the 996 inside.

- The seats are much better than the ones that came with the 996 GT3.

- The engine has more torque down low, and it feels more progressive through the rev range. The acceleration feels about the same.

- The second gear ratio is too long, I was below the power band at all times. I wish it had a shorter second, but that's an easy fix.

- The doors feel much lighter than the 996 GT3 doors. They feel as light as my car doors when I removed the door panels and airbags (-11 lbs).

- The car feels heavy, but not crazy heavy. I guess this car is in the 3,100-3,200 lbs range.

From all the features, I think the best improvement is on the suspension. The RS is worth every penny.

My biggest advice, be careful at the track. This car gets back to the pre-993 driving dynamics. At the limits, you lift on a turn and the tail comes rapidly on you. Do not lift when driving at high speed turns, I know this is true for 911, but I've driven plenty of 911 with ages from 1969 to 2007, the RS tail is very sensitive to gas inputs, Traction Control won't do any saving when lifting. I like the way it has been setup.

p.s. We found the RS rollbar mounting plates installed from the factory in BobbyC's RS.

Pictures Courtesy of Rob Plafta, an amazing photography talent.

Reliable? Yes....

Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 AM
GG06Si
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, good review
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Excellent review and write-up NJ!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice write up. Thanks!
I imagine that you were pretty much in 1st and 2nd gears there so you never had the chance to see if the upshift to 3rd was troublesome as some others mentioned?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:49 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NJ-GT, thanks for the ride and review...always a pleasure!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome vid and write-up! Isn't it great to have such awesome friends as we do here??? Bobby....you da man!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:24 AM
frayed
Race Car

Awesome report!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

The rear end lift oversteer can be easily tweaked via the rear stabilizer bar. From what I have read almost everyones' 3's and RS's can coming full stiff from the factory. When I pick up mine in Stuttgart, the first thing I plan to do is tackle some line worker for his Facom combination wrenches and take it back 1 hole. I think this might also alleviate some lower GI stress in the rain.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NJ, what PASM mode were running with?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great report, thank for taking the time.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:15 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by eclou
The rear end lift oversteer can be easily tweaked via the rear stabilizer bar. From what I have read almost everyones' 3's and RS's can coming full stiff from the factory. When I pick up mine in Stuttgart, the first thing I plan to do is tackle some line worker for his Facom combination wrenches and take it back 1 hole. I think this might also alleviate some lower GI stress in the rain.
Softening up the bar only does so much though. . . throttle lift oversteer in the past was a problem b/c of kinematic toe issues fixed in the 993 and 996. I'm surprised to hear that the 997 RS reverts to a 964 type of feel.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:11 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The lift oversteer is not a problem, is actually one feature that I like a lot. My 996 GT3 is setup that way for the track, with stiffer springs & rear sway at full stiff. Some drivers could feel more comfortable stiffening the front bar, and going one hole softer at the back.

We ran the car with PASM on Soft mode, TC Off, Sport Mode Off. Stock sway bar settings which I checked: Front bar 1 from soft from 5 holes, Rear bar full stiff ( I don't remember whether 3 or 4 holes are on that rear bar).

Even when running in the soft mode, notice the body lean at the same turn between a Cayman S and the RS.

The shifter has very short travel compared to my GT3, and it's stiffer. Shifter gates feel tighter, so one has to be careful to upshift from 4th to 3rd, or 2nd to 1st. I like this shifter better than my stock 996 GT3.

My 996 GT3 had a sticker price of $110k without PCCB, with similar options the 997 GT3 RS would have a $130k sticker price. The RS is a better value, you get more car for the money, better dynamic features, "no sunroof", and you still get an awesome looking car.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
frayed
Race Car

Rad, any reason you ran with sport mode off? Those factory sway settings in the RS are the same for the GT3, btw. I find it odd that the factory is shipping cars setup nearly in the 'max oversteer' sway settings.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

NJ,

Thanks for a great write up. I know you haven't always been in the RS' camp but it's nice to see that you found it to be so great.

Bobby,

YOU DA MAN!! That's a heck of a thing to do...lend your RS for someone else to drive hard...you're a better man than me!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:58 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
NJ,

Thanks for a great write up. I know you haven't always been in the RS' camp but it's nice to see that you found it to be so great.

Bobby,

YOU DA MAN!! That's a heck of a thing to do...lend your RS for someone else to drive hard...you're a better man than me!
Ya know, there's joy and learning in watching a good driver drive. And Rad's one heck of an autocrosser...the car was safe at all times. I wouldn't give my car to just anyone...only to those for whom I have the utmost respect.

Last edited by BobbyC; 05-03-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok, I test drove a GT3 RS....