Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why to NOT Powdercoat Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LastGT3
As for the black wheel colour worry...did PAG get it wrong with black GT3RS wheels?
As the BBS guy said, if you plan ahead to do black, it's not a problem - especially with the fact that BBS makes the GT3RS wheel (painted black as part of the manufacturing process).

We all have to admit that marketing departments have gotten the best of us all... Sunroofs, computer screens, power everything, mandatory AC, black wheels (that hide cracks), etc.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:34 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whakiewes
Annodizing is very expensive when doing things the size of wheels. I was quoted a tad over $1000 to have my Champions annodized antracite, so I didn't even care to continue. Thus I never asked the question.

Wes
Not f you have multi-piece wheel. I had my kinesis centers done and paid 120$ CAD.

Speaking of BBS, I really don't know what they use for paint or coating but they must be the hardest wheels to strip. A friend of mine use to powder coat and once had a set of BBS CH Motorsports and were a bitch to clean. We tried sandblast, chemicals bath dipping and nothing worked very well. After that set, my friend decided to drop the wheel powder coating business.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:45 PM
wlittleman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
paint and powedercoating.
anyone care to elaborate on annodizing? how that is stronger or weaker than other finishing techniques on forged wheels?
I have forged annodized wheels made by Rays Engineering. The finish is beautiful and reasonably tough, but it is practically irreparable, so you end up buying a new wheel if you can't live with curb rashes and rock chips.

I let my wife parallel park my car once, and that's why I know it's hard to find someone who can refinish annodizing.

-Don
Old 04-26-2007, 11:07 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 620 Posts

The problem with anodized wheels and something very few people have expierence with is that over time and if you race the heat from the brakes will break down the anodized process and cause the wheels to fade slighty. FYI I have only had expierence with black anodized wheels.

sorry for typoes, I was a bit buzzed when this was typed.

Quick Reply: Why to NOT Powdercoat Wheels