Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stainless Steel Brake Lines.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Brake Lines.....

Have any of you guys upgraded your brake lines to steel in order to have better brake feel on the track? Just wondering-Thanks in advance!!!

997 tt-speed yeller
07' RS-black with orange
07' RS-orange(pumpkin)-June completion date
Old 04-19-2007, 09:29 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I read somewhere that the lines Porsche uses have steel braiding inside the rubber so no need to replace them. I can't imagine any more "feel" on track than I already have.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 AM
frayed
Race Car

I think I may have wrote that and may have spoken out of turn. Honestly I don't recall if the stock rubber lines have steel braiding or have a different fiber reinforcement. Either way, steel brake lines offer nothing in feel that I can detect over standard brake lines.

And SS brake lines are sort of a misnomer anyway. It's the interior PTFE liner that is the brake line; the steel jacket is there for durability.

Maybe at one point rubber lines were squishy. . . but the ones used today are great, and don't seem to give up anything to steels.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Unitah
Instructor

I was looking into this upgrade, but decided not to do it. I too heard (true or not) that the stock lines are reinforced with a layer of braiding between the multiple layers of rubber. When I contacted Porsche Motor Sports, they told me (and I quote) "The Cup cars and RSR don't even have stainless steel lines, do you really think you need them in the street GT3?". Now, I know Porsche Motor Sports seems to be the center for mis-information, but, after I heard that statement, I dropped the research into the stainless lines. Additionally, Stop-tech doesn't have an upgrade kit available yet.

Can anyone with a Cup car or RSR confirm the presence or absence of stainless steel lines? Thanks!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Thanks guys for the quick response!!
You fellow rennlisters are the bomb!!!

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Brake Lines.....