Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 Spin at Summit

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:57 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There was plenty of track room on the left for the power. Cause of spin: not unwinding the wheel/using whole track. All the commentary around "applying too much gas too soon" and all that... With all that track out space left, the the power application should have been fine.

Please be careful with the "cold weather" and "cold tire" excuses. The car was shown at speed through all the earlier turns. I don't see how cold tires or track could be at play as the tires must have been up to temp. I agree with Radomin above, you can run quick times in the cold. At the point of this spin, I would expect the car to have been warmed up (how far into the session was this?).

BobbyC, don't freak about the GT3 accidents being posted in these forums. Remember, these are high power cars that are world-class performers. We are not all good enough to drive them at their speed potential. That's the sad fact. It is best to learn on a low horsepower car. But you've heard me say that before... (Note: this is no commentary on the driver involved here, but the video does show that he may not be used to the power of this car. The pinching you can get away with in a lower power car you won't with 400hp+!)
Old 04-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
...BobbyC, don't freak about the GT3 accidents being posted in these forums. Remember, these are high power cars that are world-class performers. We are not all good enough to drive them at their speed potential. That's the sad fact. It is best to learn on a low horsepower car. But you've heard me say that before... (Note: this is no commentary on the driver involved here, but the video does show that he may not be used to the power of this car. The pinching you can get away with in a lower power car you won't with 400hp+!)
+1

There are more and more drivers who go immediately to a fast car such as GT3 or very soon and that can very easily result badly. I had a student who went from 993 to a 996 GT3 because he didn't want to deal with Turbos & GT3s passing him... I told him I pass most of them and I have "same" car as you do. He went and bought the GT3 anyway and some time after that totaled it...

There are lot of drivers who have never spun their car or hardly ever even slid with their car and when that kind of a driver is driving a high speed car, car starts to slide and since there is no experience on how to deal with that, results often are similar to the one shown on this clip.

IMO a lot of wet, snow & ice, autoX, skidpad etc. driving should be done before you really start pushing the limits of these kind of cars.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:29 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jupe and Finn - good points and fine advice. Fact is I now just happen to have a GT3RS. Fact is I'm coming from a 996 TTS. Fact is I'm aware and cognizant of how high hp cars like a GT3 can quickly slide and spin.

In recognition of all of the above I'm making every effort possible to get as much seat time in "car control" exercises...be it autox or other. As to track outings I intend to be even more thoughtful about MY limits, and respect the learning curve. Jupe, as you know I'm not there to compete...just want to improve my skills and enjoy these beautiful machines. Safely.

Thanks. Cheers!

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Spin at Summit