Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

BBS Track Wheels on

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

With respect to all, the BBS forged wheel is the best you can buy.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:58 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Your car is so awesome! And you even resisted putting the little fake center caps in the wheels, although I would not blame you if you did!

Two nit-picky questions - your front wheels have ET51 offset, rather than ET53 of the stock rims. Any particular reason for that, other than the BBS's are 1/2" wider?

Also, I assume you are not using the stock 5mm spacers in the rear?
Thanks!

There is very little room on the inside in the front. You must push the 9" wheels out in order to get them to clear the springs.

No spacers in the rear.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks perfect. And no doubt lighter than the 19" wheels. Cheaper to run the 18" rubber I imagine.
What does the new tire look like next to the factory 19s? (diameter and section width)
By the way, it's possible to run Sport Cups in 265's on the front. A bit less offset is probably nice on the 9's at the front.
Is there a Web site with detail high-res pics of those BBS's -- they look completely new to me, like a two-layer mesh design.
Anyway, perfect looking car. Is that still at the factory ride height? I seem to recall you had already done a flywheel and set the suspension to the "race" numbers in the book.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Forgot to follow-up asking about those mirrors -- is that a black film cover or what?

And by the way, how did you get that scratch on the paint near the ... just kidding ... ! : )
Old 04-11-2007, 09:16 PM
mowblowgo
Advanced

Originally Posted by frayed
Cool. Toyo is the tire supplier for GT I believe. Great tires. You should look up Seth Thomas on the 996 GT3 forum, he is a big fan of the RA1s and races on Toyos in his World Challenge BMW.

Nitto is within the same ownership chain of Toyo. I was surprised that the company decided to market the RA1 replacement under the Nitto name given its reputation as more of Import crowd tire (drifting and stuff).

Early adopters in the BMW world have found the Nittos to be quite fast.

Definitely a great move to have them shaved. Oddly, these tires are one that is fastest just before it cords! Very heat cycle tolerant too.
I don't know about being fastest just before they cord, I think they are fastest during the first 2-3 laps. In any event, excellent choice. The Toyo RA-1 is one of the most consistent tires I have ever raced on.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
I went with the Toyo's based upon a recommendation of a Speed GT competitor and the available sizes. I was told they are faster than the Cups and they last a little longer. They are shaved to the Speed GT spec. I have never run them and I am looking forward to giving them a try. I plan on trying Hoosiers as well. I will look into the Nitto's.
several bimmer racers as well as myself find RA1, shaved to 3/32 to be faster than mpsc. but some feel otherwise. if the sizes work, i take RA1 of cup anyday.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That looks perfect. And no doubt lighter than the 19" wheels. Cheaper to run the 18" rubber I imagine.
What does the new tire look like next to the factory 19s? (diameter and section width)
By the way, it's possible to run Sport Cups in 265's on the front. A bit less offset is probably nice on the 9's at the front.
Is there a Web site with detail high-res pics of those BBS's -- they look completely new to me, like a two-layer mesh design.
Anyway, perfect looking car. Is that still at the factory ride height? I seem to recall you had already done a flywheel and set the suspension to the "race" numbers in the book.
Yes, it is still at factory height with the track alignment from the manual with a slight change to the toe. I do have the LWFW and RS program.

The mirrors were an oversight. My supplier sent the top housings to my painter but forgot to send the lower part. I now have the lower parts painted black and they will be installed shortly.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

You know, I like it with the black over white. Sinatra would drive that car. : )

If you get a chance, I'd appreciate knowing the measurements and seeing a pic of the factory wheel/tire versus that BBS/Toyo configuration.

Also, I tried to look back over your previous posts but couldn't see a reference to the model of the wheel -- I'm thinking I'll do something similar on my car. I have the Sport Cups in 265 on the front and the car seems to respond to having more contact patch for higher speeds, but still early days.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:00 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
With respect to all, the BBS forged wheel is the best you can buy.
Why do you say that?

Just curious.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by mowblowgo
I don't know about being fastest just before they cord, I think they are fastest during the first 2-3 laps. In any event, excellent choice. The Toyo RA-1 is one of the most consistent tires I have ever raced on.
Interesting. From shaved down to the cords, they always felt great at the cords unlike Kumhos and Hoosiers, for example.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:53 AM
mowblowgo
Advanced

Interesting. From shaved down to the cords, they always felt great at the cords unlike Kumhos and Hoosiers, for example.
I have lots of track experience with the RA-1 on Porsches, Vipers and even the Nissan SE-R Cup car. It was a relatively unknown tire when the organizers of the Porsche Twin Turbo Shootout (Excellence Magazine) used them as the official spec tire in December 2004. The tires handled extremely well to everyones surprise. Shortly thereafter, they became the spec tire for numerous racing series and currently retain a strong endorsement from most teams using them. I run them in SPEED GT on a Viper and the tire has consistent predictability through several heat cycles. Hands down, they are as fast as most slicks, have a longer life expectancy and are easier to manage when overheated late in a track session.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 AM
frayed
Race Car

Awesome, thanks for the post.

Funny, in bmw club racing circles, toyos emerged as a near hoosier tire when driven loose on various cars, notably the E36 cars, and became a hot tire for enduros. Back in 01 race shops like bimmerworld 'figured out' the toyos and found them demonstrably better than the then current Victoracers from Kumho and only slightly behind the Hoosiers and far more consistent.

They don't have a lot of stroke in Pcar circles, as most people seem to be addicted to Michelins (I for one never 'got' the appeal of the MPSCs). I'm sooo glad to have found out at 18s can fit over PCCBs so I can run Toyos/Nittos on 18s. I'm looking forward to running some shaved Toyos (first) then some Nittos (second) for some hot lapping.

Cheers.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the post.

Funny, in bmw club racing circles, toyos emerged as a near hoosier tire when driven loose on various cars, notably the E36 cars, and became a hot tire for enduros. Back in 01 race shops like bimmerworld 'figured out' the toyos and found them demonstrably better than the then current Victoracers from Kumho and only slightly behind the Hoosiers and far more consistent.

They don't have a lot of stroke in Pcar circles, as most people seem to be addicted to Michelins (I for one never 'got' the appeal of the MPSCs). I'm sooo glad to have found out at 18s can fit over PCCBs so I can run Toyos/Nittos on 18s. I'm looking forward to running some shaved Toyos (first) then some Nittos (second) for some hot lapping.

Cheers.

i dont know how dell and others figured it out. when i tracked my GT3 extensively i really wanted RA1's but i can't figure out what size to run. i know speed cars run toyo's but their gearing was way different. so i was forced (maybe due to my ignorance) to use mpsc which i really disliked and took away from my enjoyment of drivnig the GT3 (yeah, i hated those that much). was too cheap to run hoosiers and had no trailer anyways.

on cayman i rolled on RA1's i loved it.

i plan to drive exclusively on RA1, R888 or NT-01's wiht the new car.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:23 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone else mentioned, that offset is perfect. Congrats, that thing looks mean.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:34 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

18" BBS and 18" Fikses are my top choices, w/o question.

Yes, the BBS motorsport wheels and the Fikses in 18 fit over PCCBs. Barely, but they do. Farnbacher test fit both wheels on a PCCB equiped Turbo when I requested fitment info.

grussell, any particular reason you went with the Toyos vs. the Nittos? The Nittos are reportedly the same as the Toyo R888, the replacement for the RA1. I'm curious to try them.
BBS Motorsports makes two versions of this wheel (for GT3's with or without PCCB's) so your are certain to get the right offset as long as you specify when ordering. We are an authorized BBS Motorsports Distributor if anyone else is interested in the same wheels. Here's a shot of a set painted red on a GT3 we are preparing currently. This car will be ready on Friday....more pics to come including a brand new set of these wheels for the car freshly painted red also.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: BBS Track Wheels on