Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 as an everyday driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by khaug

To my way of thinking, the GT3 is a car whose virtues only become apparent when it's being operated near its limits. It is so crazy fast that it's insanity to do this on public roads.
Actually, that's not true.

The GT3s, and particularly the latest 997GT3s, are extremely tactile, delivering superb feel and feedback, even at modest speeds, on all types of roads, especially sinuous back roads.

The rwd configuration, uncorrupted steering, weight savings, and optimised chassis, make it one of the most sensitive and rewarding 911s ever.

Yes, it does beg to be driven at the limit, where it becomes awesome, but someone could buy a 997GT3, never track it and only ever use 75% of its potential, and be totally satisfied.

It really is that clever.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:57 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

I have a serious question and I apologize in advance if it seems goofy to those of you fortunate enough to already have a GT3.
I plan to buy a 996 GT3 at some point in the next year or two, but I have to wonder if the stock Recaro GT3 seat is, well, a bit less than comfy for everyday driving. I've got Toplines in my 996, and they are amazing - but I wonder how the GT3 seat would be for long drives with what seems to be less padding?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:10 PM
porkernut
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There seems to be a confusion between 996GT3 & 997GT3, the 996 is a great drivers car that was only really suitable for hardcore enthusiasts on a daily basis, The new 997Gt3's main step forward is in its ride quality & ability to be a daily driver whilst retaining the special driver interaction offered by GT3 cars past!

The Turbo is also a great car, ultimately neither is better it is all about where you want your cars strengths to rest.

The latest GT3 is the nearest slice of Pork (so far) to offer the win win scenario of an interactive race-car that is perfectly use able on the road. In the past you had to loose your fillings in return for a real road racer experience, no longer!

Ultimately the Turbo is slightly more comfortable, but the GT3 is more involving, you pay your money & take your choice, oh & don't believe that either is faster than the other on road!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Originally Posted by porkernut
There seems to be a confusion between 996GT3 & 997GT3, the 996 is a great drivers car that was only really suitable for hardcore enthusiasts on a daily basis, The new 997Gt3's main step forward is in its ride quality & ability to be a daily driver whilst retaining the special driver interaction offered by GT3 cars past!

The Turbo is also a great car, ultimately neither is better it is all about where you want your cars strengths to rest.

The latest GT3 is the nearest slice of Pork (so far) to offer the win win scenario of an interactive race-car that is perfectly use able on the road. In the past you had to loose your fillings in return for a real road racer experience, no longer!

Ultimately the Turbo is slightly more comfortable, but the GT3 is more involving, you pay your money & take your choice, oh & don't believe that either is faster than the other on road!!!
A 100% accurate summary
Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 PM
dmc90025
Instructor

Seems you can't really lose in either case, GT3 or TT. I agree, at least from the perspective of a 996 GT3 daily driver, the car is sweet in just about all speeds. In my view, its not necessary to drive 10s all of the time. Babes like the GT3 too, and that can't hurt

Quick Reply: GT3 as an everyday driver