Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Seat Removal - Airbag Precautions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 AM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Removal - Airbag Precautions?

I'll soon be removing the OE seats from my 997 GT3. They contain side airbags. Any suggestions on precautions I should take to avoid accidental airbag deployment?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:46 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries there. There's only one plug for the seat & it's no problem to unplug it. No airbag deployment, not even a light on the dash. Had mine unpluged 3 times with NO problems.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:39 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed mine. The airbag signs will stay lit up at all time. You can have your Porsche dealer turn them off. I believe it deasactivate all the airbags.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:24 AM
gt2r
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These two opinions are directly opposite each other. The real problem is this. If the air bag light is on the dash- you will not know if there is another airbag that becomes defective ie the front air bags when driving on the street. The dealer can turn the light off, but then you again won't know if an air bag becomes defective. It would be best if there was a way to trick the system to let it think that the driver air bag was still working by using a resistor. I don't know who could do that but for all of us wanting to remove the driver seat for a competition seat it would be nice to know.

Quick Reply: Seat Removal - Airbag Precautions?