Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I was wrong, you guys were right

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the 6 is a bargain but the 7 is so much better, especially with suspension geometry, it is worth it.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Porsche will make as many Rs cars as they can sell, trust me. They were just testing the waters, didn't want another GT2/CGT sales situation. While demand is strong, so will the production of the RS cars. I never doubted for a minute that they would start cranking out '08's after they saw the apparent high demand for the '07 cars.
What is indicitive of "strong demand"? Just b/c a few dealers are asking for over MSRP, doesn't mean there is a strong enough demand for the RS.

As we said in this forum many many times. Most people including magazine articles have concluded that the RS is really not worth the extra premium over the GT3 and the GT3 is still available in 08.

If the RS did have 40 extra HP then I really can see a real demand for this car. But it doesn't and I think that if Porsche decides to build more cars the bubble will burst and they will be stuck with RS's on the lot.

Here's what to think about.
If they built 1000 GT3's and 1000RS's and they were priced both at the same price which cars would everyone want. Yes the RS. The RS in this scenario will sell faster and GT3's would be left on the lots.

But if they built 1000 GT3's and 1000RS's and they priced the RS at $20,000 more which do you think will sell faster now. The die hards will pay the extra for the RS, but how many really would? That's the question. There will be a point where there could be too many RS's b/c it doesn't offer much extra to the buyer - EXCEPT for quasi exclusivity. If the quasi-exclusivity is gone, people who are bidding on the RS's will drop out and either go for a GT3 or forget the RS all together, leaving too many cars in the market.

Porsche is all for selling cars but lets face facts guys. Right now the RS offers nothing to the NA buyer except for some exclusivity. If it offered more power than the GT3 then I could see Porsche building more, b/c they definitely will sell. But to be honest, I don't think they'd be able to sell another 300RS's in NA.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:47 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

RR If you would like to see what demand there is for RS's, call dealerships and tell them you would like to put a deposit down on one (to order one) and ask what number you would be on the list.
I do not think they can sell 300 more, but definatly a lot more, 100+.
When all is said and done, the cars sitting on the lot will be the ones dealers ordered with all the crap most poeple do not want.
Rich
Old 03-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
...When all is said and done, the cars sitting on the lot will be the ones dealers ordered with all the crap most poeple do not want.
Rich
+1 and in the long run, these are the cars that will be the cheapest & the least wanted (i.e. RSA without a sunroof commands more money that the one with it).
Old 03-30-2007, 11:19 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RR
As we said in this forum many many times. Most people including magazine articles have concluded that the RS is really not worth the extra premium over the GT3 and the GT3 is still available in 08.
Then most people and the magazine doesn't understand what it means to wear the "RS" badge.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:36 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

RR If you would like to see what demand there is for RS's, call dealerships and tell them you would like to put a deposit down on one (to order one) and ask what number you would be on the list.
I do not think they can sell 300 more, but definatly a lot more, 100+.
When all is said and done, the cars sitting on the lot will be the ones dealers ordered with all the crap most poeple do not want.
Rich

There is perceived demand, but that's b/c there are NO MORE RS's for sale.
Have you ever heard of the phrase "wanting what you can't have?" This is it, we are in it right now, but reality will set in IF PCNA releases more cars beleive me, and when more are released people won't want them as bad - again especialy since there is very little perceived improvement over another model which is READILY available, ie the GT3.

IF more RS's are released then a certain portion of the demand will drop. That's my point. Demand will drop based on how many cars are released, if they release too many, cars will be left over. It will be feast or famine, UNLESS PCNA does there homework and releases just the right amount. If they release too many, the bottom will fall out.

And Mouse3, I have an RS, so I already know what it means. I think it's worth it to me, but I'm crazy. Not everyone will be like me, right now people are reacting on emotions and not logic - but not everyone is careless with their money like I am.

Look at the 996GT3. When it first was released everyone wanted one, and then how many times did we here on this forum alone about guys who "thought" they wanted one trading it in for a softer more comfortable ride?

Everyone keeps talking about profits about how Porsche is "all about profits now etc etc " and b/c of their love for profits therefore Porsche will build as many as they can.

Dudes, ask yourself. Why don't oil companies pump as much oil as possible? They are profit oriented just like Porsche. More oil would mean more sales wouldn't it? Obviously we all know the answer to that. So why would it be any different for Porsche. Point is just b/c you provide more widgets doesn't mean you will be more profitable.

And that's why I think Porsche will not release more 08's, OR if they do, they will release only a tiny amount.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 AM
ebanzero
Instructor

I was finalizing my July build RS and i asked my sales rep about there being more cars produced for 08. He said there were going to be 08 cars produced. they will probably continue to make the RS until the new body style is introduced. Bottom line is that those of us who got 07 cars should be thrilled and those who were not able to get one, now have a chance. In any event, there will not be that many cars out there. The audience for this car is very specific. Even 500 cars in 2 years is extremely limited. As usual with Porsche, short term resale will not be that great.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 AM
ebanzero
Instructor

I was finalizing my July build RS and i asked my sales rep about there being more cars produced for 08. He said there were going to be 08 cars produced. they will probably continue to make the RS until the new body style is introduced. Bottom line is that those of us who got 07 cars should be thrilled and those who were not able to get one, now have a chance. In any event, there will not be that many cars out there. The audience for this car is very specific. Even 500 cars in 2 years is extremely limited. As usual with Porsche, short term resale will not be that great.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:57 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

RR
So you are saying the people who have deposits on the car don't really want it. If I am told I can order a car, I then will take my deposit back becouse I really don't want one. No offence but since you have one I will assume that you are not activly trying to get one and you really have no idea as to the true demand for this car, and like many others who have one(and some who don't) you would not like to see more produced as that would not be in your best interest. It seems to me that is where your posts are comeing from.
Rich
Old 03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
icruze
Racer

Originally Posted by RR
Dudes, ask yourself. Why don't oil companies pump as much oil as possible? They are profit oriented just like Porsche. More oil would mean more sales wouldn't it? Obviously we all know the answer to that. So why would it be any different for Porsche. Point is just b/c you provide more widgets doesn't mean you will be more profitable.
I don't understand your analogy. The pricing of oil is much more fluid, pardon the pun, than p-cars. If oil companies pumped more oil the price would immediately go down. If porsche releases another 150-200 RS cars at the same price, or slightily higher since it's a new model year, their profit would increase (although dealers would not be able to get the markup some have been asking for). This assumes that there are that many buyers out there but I think this is a safe assumption. Sure not everyone on a wait list will pull the trigger, but a number of them would.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:17 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

RR
So you are saying the people who have deposits on the car don't really want it. If I am told I can order a car, I then will take my deposit back becouse I really don't want one. No offence but since you have one I will assume that you are not activly trying to get one and you really have no idea as to the true demand for this car, and like many others who have one(and some who don't) you would not like to see more produced as that would not be in your best interest. It seems to me that is where your posts are comeing from.
Rich
My point is that I really could care less if they produce 08 cars. even 500 cars are very exclusive.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

RR
Rich
I don't care if Porsche produces more. I only care if they over produce. They need to provide the proper amount for everyone. But just b/c there is this "perceived demand" doesn't mean it really exisits.
Case in point. As far as people being on the list for an RS and giving it up, I can think of at least 5 on this forum that had the opportunity to buy an RS - the first time around - that gave it up for a regular GT3 or another car all together.

I myself was on the list for an RS and I almost gave it up. I only pulled the trigger once I found out Euro Del was available for it. Otherwise I would have passed on it. Like I said, not everyone is like me - or you - not everyone is as "careless" with their money. People are unique. They may follow the heard right now, but when asked to put their money where their mouth is then everything changes - and thats what Im talking about.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:22 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=RR]Dudes, ask yourself. Why don't oil companies pump as much oil as possible? They are profit oriented just like Porsche. More oil would mean more sales wouldn't it? Obviously we all know the answer to that. [QUOTE]

As a matter of fact, from the context of what you are writing I am near-certain that you do not know the answer to that. There are so many divergences in the markets for petroleum and autos that the two commodoties are not at all similar. Nor is the profit structure.

I'm with you on the thought that folks want what they cannot have even more once they learn they cannot have it, but the market for global resources is somewhat more complex than the market for RS's.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:56 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Bottomline is I don't think that there isn't a strong enough demand for the RS.
Everyone is being fooled by these stories of $50,000 over MSRP for RS's.
How many out of the 259 cars are being sold currently over MSRP?
10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50? Even IF 50 of the current 259 cars are being OFFERED NOT SOLD - key difference - at over MSRP, doesn't mean that there is a HUGE demand as many of you like to believe.

Don't you think some of these stories of $50,000 over MSRP is generating some of the bubble? Don't you think guys are wanting to buy the RS to then re-sell it at $50,000 over MSRP because thats what they think they could get for the car on resale. Demand is perpetuating demand, the DEMAND is really being overstated by this phenomenom.

People are crying that real bonafide RS fans are not able to buy the cars but we've already had people who've turned down the RS, who had a shot at MSRP.

Sorry I don't buy any of this. You guys ever here of Bre-x. Biggest stock scam of the century, sort of like what's happpening here with the RS. People believing in beliefs and not facts.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:15 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RR
You guys ever here of Bre-x. Biggest stock scam of the century, sort of like what's happpening here with the RS. People believing in beliefs and not facts.
Bre-X, schite!

That would be like Porsche saying they are making a 750HP 2500 lb car that handles on rails, but actually not having anything more than engineering drawings and selling them for $300K each to expectant customers and requiring a 50% non-refundable deposit.

Hmmm, any Porsche engineers taking helocopter rides recently...?

Quick Reply: I was wrong, you guys were right