997 GT3's at VIR 5/17-5/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 997 GT3's at VIR 5/17-5/18

If any of you attended the PCA DE last weekend, please post reviews ( lap times ect) for those of us still waiting... ): TIA T.Roy
Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mean 3/17-3/18?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Yes 3/17-3/18

Sorry, wrong dates!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw at least 4 (2 white, 1 grey, 1 blue.) I heard that one crashed on the last session but I never saw it since we were black flagged and everyone left for the long drive home. I hope there was no serious damage.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran with one of the white GT3's and the driver was not pushing it 100%. I could tell b/c I was significantly faster and that shouldn't be the case. FYI....that was in Black.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:44 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

I had my grey one there. First time at VIR in 2 years, and only 2nd time out on track in the GT3. I ran in white. Had a blast.! It handled amazing, although with the low temperatures, I never felt the MPSCs hook up ... I never really got that "sticky" feeling. Car felt extremely stable except down the back straight on Saturday. With the high winds, coming up over the hill, the car was getting pushed all over the place. I ended up taking the straight down the center over the hill just keeping neutral throttle at that point.
I was asking/taking advice about the track from a bunch people. Helped for a lot of places except on last lap of first session Sunday. One pointer I got was in South Bend, brake a bit sooner, and take it earlier. Seemed to work, except when I was pushing the car. Was having a blast trading spots with another GT3, and we just passed a cup car under the bridge. Ended up taking South Bend too fast and WAY too early (we all know what that leads to), and ended up spinning 1 1/2 times at the exit of South bend and ended up in the infield. Not too please with myself Luckily missed the drainage ditch by 4ft, so no real damage. I had to bang back in the front lip, brake ducts, and rear guard... a few minor scratches on the paint and wheels...all 4 tires had mud and grass in the beads and went/where going flat. So ended up having to get them all remounted and balanced in town (so missed 2nd session). Considering where I spun, I felt real lucky!!! Needless to say I took the last session quite a bit slower, regaining my confidence and making sure everything was ok on the car.
Best lap time was a mid 2:15. Personally happy with that considering relearning the track, learning the car, and the cold weather...but PLENTY of room for improvement
Nice meeting a bunch of you ... See you in May
Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ryan, never saw you out there. We'll have to meet up in May. Sounds like you had a great time even with the "incident".

FYI....the times I turned were 2:15's as well. There was just WAY TOO MUCH traffic. I was running black and it was jam packed full. (54 drivers on the list).
Old 03-19-2007, 08:38 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Ryan, never saw you out there. We'll have to meet up in May. Sounds like you had a great time even with the "incident".

FYI....the times I turned were 2:15's as well. There was just WAY TOO MUCH traffic. I was running black and it was jam packed full. (54 drivers on the list).
Only difference is mine was done with a clear track In traffic in White most were around 2:18-2:23. I met someone named Chris (Grey 996 GT3). We were camped out right next to him. He mentioned you were around, but never saw where you were to stop by. Definitely meet you in May when I'm there next. Hopefully warmer and drier.

Peace
Old 03-19-2007, 08:39 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did u also run on the new MPSC's...what did you think of their grip? Ryan above didn't seem to think much of them. Cheers!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
I had my grey one there. First time at VIR in 2 years, and only 2nd time out on track in the GT3. I ran in white. Had a blast.! It handled amazing, although with the low temperatures, I never felt the MPSCs hook up ... I never really got that "sticky" feeling. Car felt extremely stable except down the back straight on Saturday. With the high winds, coming up over the hill, the car was getting pushed all over the place. I ended up taking the straight down the center over the hill just keeping neutral throttle at that point.
I was asking/taking advice about the track from a bunch people. Helped for a lot of places except on last lap of first session Sunday. One pointer I got was in South Bend, brake a bit sooner, and take it earlier. Seemed to work, except when I was pushing the car. Was having a blast trading spots with another GT3, and we just passed a cup car under the bridge. Ended up taking South Bend too fast and WAY too early (we all know what that leads to), and ended up spinning 1 1/2 times at the exit of South bend and ended up in the infield. Not too please with myself Luckily missed the drainage ditch by 4ft, so no real damage. I had to bang back in the front lip, brake ducts, and rear guard... a few minor scratches on the paint and wheels...all 4 tires had mud and grass in the beads and went/where going flat. So ended up having to get them all remounted and balanced in town (so missed 2nd session). Considering where I spun, I felt real lucky!!! Needless to say I took the last session quite a bit slower, regaining my confidence and making sure everything was ok on the car.
Best lap time was a mid 2:15. Personally happy with that considering relearning the track, learning the car, and the cold weather...but PLENTY of room for improvement
Nice meeting a bunch of you ... See you in May
So you're the one...

I gave you a pass going up under the bridge and followed you up through the esses. I almost drove off the course because I was watching your fat a$$ glide so smoothly up through there that I forgot to drive my own car.
The car looked fantastic!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smlporsche
So you're the one...
Hopefully so (hate to hear one that crashed), but don't think so. It was the first session of the day, and no black flag was brought out. I was actually just 1 turn away from the waving checkered Didn't get stuck down there and drove out.

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Ryan above didn't seem to think much of them. Cheers!
I think it was more indicative of the cold weather/track, but when it finally warms up around here, we'll see.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am registered for May. Hope my car is here in time....
Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rmag
Only difference is mine was done with a clear track In traffic in White most were around 2:18-2:23. I met someone named Chris (Grey 996 GT3). We were camped out right next to him. He mentioned you were around, but never saw where you were to stop by. Definitely meet you in May when I'm there next. Hopefully warmer and drier.

Peace
Hey Ryan! I was camped in FRONT of Chris' trailer with Randy (RJFabCab). I had the yellow GT3 with the black wheels.

See you in May And yes, hopefully warmer

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Did u also run on the new MPSC's...what did you think of their grip? Ryan above didn't seem to think much of them. Cheers!
Actually I was on the Nitto NT01 tires. They are AWESOME! I will have a full write-up later this week when I get a sec. FYI...I ran 245/40/18 and 315/30/18.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:15 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Hey Ryan! I was camped in FRONT of Chris' trailer with Randy (RJFabCab). I had the yellow GT3 with the black wheels..
No wonder I never saw you ..but I did notice the Car ...NICE.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Wrong side of the trailer But I had a good reason. I was f'in cold so I spent alot of time sitting in my Pepper. I had the silver Pepper with the white enclosed trailer in front of Chris' truck.

Oh well, see you at the next event.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3's at VIR 5/17-5/18