Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My first 400 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first 400 miles

I picked up my RS from Tampa last week and have about 400 miles on it, so I figure I would compare it briefly with my 996 GT3.

Car is orange/black, but since I can't do any better on pictures then Schmidts Cat, the car looks just like that , which means it is REALLY orange. Options were center console in body color, which looks great, but I'm a little jnervous on how easily this may scratch in the future when my 6 point harnesses are in there and being banged around on the track. The only other options were the litronics and of course the $3K orange paint. The car is beautiful !!, the lines are just so perfect, it is close to the 993S body, with rear fenders that just bulge out. I'm absolutely in love with that ***. It's as obnoxious as the rear end of my 930S. The inside of the car is much nicer then the 996 was, but I've never cared that much about the looks of the interior.

After I got in the car at Reeves in Tampa, I started the car, pushed the sport button, and took off, I couldn't wait anymore. Per request of the sales manager, I left a small skidmark leaving the dealership, which was not easy at only 3K rpm, but since they asked so nicely, I felt obliged.

I had almost 18K miles on my 996 GT3 in 2 years, with approximately 1/3 of that on the track, another 1/3 driving to the track, and the rest just puddling around. The RS just seems a little bit better in everything. The seats are VERY comfortable, especially compared to the Euro GT3 seats I had in my 996. The shifter feels tighter, and a little bit shorter. It kind of feels like some of the cup cars that I've felt from NGT (while the cars were parked). The motor is obviously the same motor as in the 996, but on the other hand so different, and as mentioned before: the sound is just beautiful !!. The motor is much torqueier, but there does not seems to be that mad rush the last 2000 rpm. On the other hand, I've only had it up to about 7K rpm and only in the last 50 miles, so there is probably still some breaking in to do and another 1400 rpm to explore. My 996 had the LWFW, and the rattle at idle is actually less in my new RS. The RS seems to rev even quicker, which makes blips very easy and enjoyable.

Even though i will not come close to finding out how much better this suspension is compared to the 996 until I go to the track, I can already tell that the improvement is going to be HUGE. The car just feels so much more planted, does not tramline AT ALL and the turnin is really like a go-kart for the first time. (I have a go-kart, and I know this term gets overused, and to me the 996 or any other car that I've instructed in never really felt like it. I was always of the opinion that whomever used that term, had never sat in a go-kart).
Since I live it FL, I will not be able to really explore that car until I get to the track, since the only turns we have in the roads are the roundabouts in and around some developments and a on or off ramp every so many miles.

I will update this after I've had the car on the track. The car needs an allignment, clear bra, rollbar and sadly some seats that will accept a 6 point harness.

Erik
Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great report. It may be possible to place some clear bra material over the areas on the console that need protection. A BIG
Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I was going to go with a paited console as well, but after thinking about it, I decided on CF for just the reasons you cite.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:14 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ERik - thanks for sharing thoughts.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Nice.....I agree on all counts, but I do like the interior too (full leather, CF console). Please continue with updates from the track.

Congrats

Quick Reply: My first 400 miles