Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS brake fade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:02 PM
PSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 RS brake fade.

After about 10 minutes of reasonably brisk on road driving the brake pedal on my 997 GT3 RS went to the floor.

Never had this happen so extremely on any other car during road driving.

After about another 10 mins of driving very slowly and pumping brake pedal the brakes recovered to close to former glory.

Got ceramics.

Anyone else had similar problem?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:15 PM
RMN22AJR
Instructor

Originally Posted by PSC
After about 10 minutes of reasonably brisk on road driving the brake pedal on my 997 GT3 RS went to the floor.

Never had this happen so extremely on any other car during road driving.

After about another 10 mins of driving very slowly and pumping brake pedal the brakes recovered to close to former glory.

Got ceramics.

Anyone else had similar problem?
No matter how brisk 10 minutes is too quick for the pedal to go to the floor or even a very soft pedal. Bring the car to the dealer - I have a 996 GT2 with similar brakes and have never had an issue. I have raced the GT3 RSR at The 12 Hours of Sebring and only have had soft pedal issues over 12 hours. I would pump the brakes before entering the braking point in the necessary turns - this would assure me of having the same brake feel every time.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:29 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, get it checked out. That's not brake fade...
Old 03-13-2007, 01:47 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Yeah that is definitely NOT brake fade! You might be running out of fluid or maybe air in the brake lines. I'd exercise caution if you choose to drive back to the dealership.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

PSC - was this on a brand new car? Failure to properly bed the pads could cause the condition your report. If the car was not brand new, check to see if the holes in the rotors are plugged. This is common with ceramics and hard braking will produce high temps which in turn cause a mushy pedal and longer than normal stopping distances.

Regards,
Old 03-13-2007, 05:14 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
PSC - was this on a brand new car? Failure to properly bed the pads could cause the condition your report. If the car was not brand new, check to see if the holes in the rotors are plugged. This is common with ceramics and hard braking will produce high temps which in turn cause a mushy pedal and longer than normal stopping distances.

Regards,
What's your recipe for properly bedding in ceramics? Will have them on my TT
Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

How cold was it outside?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake pedal to the floor????

This is not a minor issue. Have them flatbed it to the dealer, it's just not worth handling any other way if you get the meaning. In fact, you might want a new system installed, a/o have them "noticed" if they refuse.

No kidding, I would.

Lou, I drove my PCCB TT in 6 in of snow and deeply freezing temps. They never even flinched.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

E55 - on a street car, just take it easy on the brakes for the first 100 miles. If track driven, follow the instructions on the PagidUSA web site. There is nothing special about bedding pads on PCCB.

Regards,
Old 03-14-2007, 04:18 AM
PSC
Instructor

Thanks.

Car flatbed back to dealer yesterday.

Temp warm 15C and 800m on trip.

Car three months old.

Will report back when problem resolved.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:39 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by PSC
Thanks.

Car flatbed back to dealer yesterday.

Temp warm 15C and 800m on trip.

Car three months old.

Will report back when problem resolved.
Any update yet?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:08 PM
PSC
Instructor

Porsche Centre finally come back to say Porsche GB advised draining in case air in system. If no air would replace various components to be on safe side.

My guess is that it must be air because no warning lights came on (and I assume should have done if low fluid or electrical issue?). I have minimal mechanical knowedge but there can't be many reasons which cause the brake pedal pressure to disappear?

But since I've now done over 800 miles and the brakes have had a good work out over last few hundred miles with no problem, why problem now?

Implies air has recently got into system so not just an issue of draining it out?
Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PSC
Porsche Centre finally come back to say Porsche GB advised draining in case air in system. If no air would replace various components to be on safe side.

My guess is that it must be air because no warning lights came on (and I assume should have done if low fluid or electrical issue?). I have minimal mechanical knowedge but there can't be many reasons which cause the brake pedal pressure to disappear?

But since I've now done over 800 miles and the brakes have had a good work out over last few hundred miles with no problem, why problem now?

Implies air has recently got into system so not just an issue of draining it out?
Earlier when you said the pedal went to the floor, did you mean that it suddenly had more travel or did it really go to the floor without any braking effect? A total flush of the system will take care of any air...
Old 03-16-2007, 02:52 PM
PSC
Instructor

Felt like about 4 - 5cm free travel with minimal resistance, then mushy resistence with some braking but did not experiment to find out how much.

Drove very slowly for about 5 miles to let things cool down and after repeated pumping, the brakes came back to close to normal and were than okay for a couple of hard stops. By then I was home and flatbedded car to Porsche dealer.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PSC
Felt like about 4 - 5cm free travel with minimal resistance, then mushy resistence with some braking but did not experiment to find out how much.

Drove very slowly for about 5 miles to let things cool down and after repeated pumping, the brakes came back to close to normal and were than okay for a couple of hard stops. By then I was home and flatbedded car to Porsche dealer.
Most likely what you experienced was the brake pads "bedding - in". You had new pads, new rotors and the first time you really did some hard braking the pads let out "green" gases, rotors got hot, and you experienced some fade. Once they bleed the brakes of air you should be fine. If you plan to track the car then change the brake fluid to Castrol SRF (the highest wet boiling point on the market).

I had the same experience just the other day when I bedded-in my PCCB pads...car has 520 miles on it.

Other more experienced folks please chime in.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS brake fade.