Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

took apart the rear wing today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default took apart the rear wing today...

- allen key is all you need - easy to do
- there are 3 holes for adjustment - except as previously reported, the provided metal bracket will not work with the other 2 holes
- i had a thought that switching the left/right side brackets and flipping them over would enable more downforce (it almost works except the fit it just not perfect and you will begin stripping the screw, as I did, trying to make it work
- what seems like a very easy, but ghetto solution, is to put in rubber plumbers washer of about 4/5mm as a spacer for your rain setup - the problem here is that the existing oem screw gets too short very fast and the angle also begins to change quickly and you will risk stripping the threads
- as I am not an engineer, I will not comment on the design, but it doesn't seem optimal in my opinion

- in summery, go grab 4 2cent 5mm rubber washers, drill out the centers to enable the oem srews to fit, and you will have a 10cent solution for a low grip rain day
Old 03-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Unitah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing yesterday! haha. Anyway, after speaking to Porsche in Germany, the way the wing works is as follows:

1. Unscrew the two main screws per side, releasing the wing. Tilt it all the way up.
2. Unscrew the single screw on each side holding the metal bracket in place.
3. Put the peg of the metal bracket in the desired hole (either number 2 or 3).
4. Tilt the wing into position and screw the two main screws back in. It will line up perfectly.

So, you DO NOT NEED to reinstall the single metal bracket screw on each side. This begged the question: "why do I need the single screw to hold the metal bracket into position when the wing is in the as-delivered position 1, but not in positions 2 or 3?" The answer was "you do not need the single metal bracket screw at all".

I took photos of the procedure. If someone would tell me how to post photos, I'd put them online!!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:17 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice
never occurred to me i wouldn't need to reinstall the main support screw
i do wonder if not installing the main screw might cause the bracket to scratch the wing in the now new higher location - will check that this evening

thanks for posting
Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I would like to see the pictures. You need to host them on a website. Then hit the "Go Advanced" button and there will be a button to click to add the webpage of the picture.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:16 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Unitah
I did the same thing yesterday! haha. Anyway, after speaking to Porsche in Germany, the way the wing works is as follows:

1. Unscrew the two main screws per side, releasing the wing. Tilt it all the way up.
2. Unscrew the single screw on each side holding the metal bracket in place.
3. Put the peg of the metal bracket in the desired hole (either number 2 or 3).
4. Tilt the wing into position and screw the two main screws back in. It will line up perfectly.

So, you DO NOT NEED to reinstall the single metal bracket screw on each side. This begged the question: "why do I need the single screw to hold the metal bracket into position when the wing is in the as-delivered position 1, but not in positions 2 or 3?" The answer was "you do not need the single metal bracket screw at all".

I took photos of the procedure. If someone would tell me how to post photos, I'd put them online!!
Thanks for the info. Works like a champ! I was wondering earlier how to do it. Not replacing those screws was the trick! Just one note on your install instructions: Step 1) you have to remove 3 screws per side
Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Unitah
Instructor

I didn't find it necessary to remove the entire wing (in other words, remove 3 screws per side - 2 rear and 1 forward). I just removed the 2 rear screws, then, removed the single screw holding the bracket in place. That was it...
Old 09-12-2007, 12:55 AM
flash1034
Pro

A picture of the "bracket" you guys are referencing would be worth a thousand words...

Flash
Old 09-12-2007, 01:30 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

I'm assuming that Porsche has only permitted "aerodynamically acceptable" wing angles. If you try to flip things around or jerry-rig it somehow to get a greater wing angle in the hope of getting greater downforce, you run the risk of stalling the wing and getting zero downforce and decidedly non-zero drag. And the zero downforce might just occur at an inopportune time!

Quick Reply: took apart the rear wing today...