Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007 | 04:41 PM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Flying Finn
Regarding forex, yes that also afected the price of the car cause most Mexican europena car dealers get their allocation directly from europe.

pbuenrostro

Yes the car will have DF plates If ti does not comply with EPA standards and the rest of the stuff. Which I'm suposed to be sure about that by next monday.
If It does pass all the inspections the tax has to be paid as a registration tax plus an import tax which acording to the broker is not a problem.
Old 02-22-2007 | 05:00 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRCNRING
Mexico city was my way to get around long waiting lists and premium over sticker prices US dealers are offering. Plus I have dual citizenship with the US and Mexico. I'm still confirming all the little details regarding EPA compliance and safety compliance so I could think about registering the car here.

I think I will have it shipped, a friend of my father owns a shipping company and they will charge me $500 to shipped it to Cd Juarez and then from there I will drive it home, its a 10 minute drive or a 1 hour drive if I get to wait a long time at the border crossing.

As far as the options I kept it very simple,
Decided to go with chrono pkg, sun roof, bi xenon lamps, red dials in dashboard, sound pkg plus (no idea if its the same as the US audio pkg), red seat belts, Porsche crest in headrests and floor mats.
Ceramic brakes where discarded at the last moment after expensive experience with my old Gt2.

What options did you ordered?
Plenty of people have ordered and recieved their cars at MSRP. I think if you used this site early in your process last fall you could have saved a lot of money for the same result with a US spec car. Anyways, I guess you got what you wanted and was willing to pay the price but it certainly didn't save you money. maybe you saved some time, but then again cars come up available to buy or order all the time at msrp here.

Car does look good. Congrats and good luck getting it back to the US. doubt you will be able to register it though.
Old 02-22-2007 | 05:14 PM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Originally Posted by carrering
Plenty of people have ordered and recieved their cars at MSRP. I think if you used this site early in your process last fall you could have saved a lot of money for the same result with a US spec car. Anyways, I guess you got what you wanted and was willing to pay the price but it certainly didn't save you money. maybe you saved some time, but then again cars come up available to buy or order all the time at msrp here.

Car does look good. Congrats and good luck getting it back to the US. doubt you will be able to register it though.
Price wise, you are probably right if I had just paid for the car upfront, but I had a car in Mexico that I needed to sell before getting my GT3 and the dealer took it as part of the deal otherwise I would have had to wait longer to sell the other car and place my order.
I also regret some how not finding this forum earlier or another one similar to this cause it could have been big help.
I approached two nearby dealers one in Albuquerque and the other one in Tucson and they never even considered me as a serious client they both gave me all kind of excuses.
I guess if I could do it all over again I would definitely ask help from all of the current GT3 owners and future owners to be on this forum .
Old 02-22-2007 | 05:40 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=JRCNRING]Ceramic brakes where discarded at the last moment after expensive experience with my old Gt2.

What problem$ did you have with the ceramic brakes?
Old 02-22-2007 | 05:43 PM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Cost to replace. I know they are suposed to last longer but when they eventually had to be replaced the price to do so was expensive.
Old 02-23-2007 | 09:46 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RR
I don't think so. Mexico is part of the North American continent. American's were never great at geography.. It's not an ROW car.
Yes, I know geography. He stated on his post that he ordered the sunroof as an option. That's where I got my info.

Originally Posted by JRCNRING
As far as the options I kept it very simple,
Decided to go with chrono pkg, sun roof, bi xenon lamps, red dials in dashboard, sound pkg plus (no idea if its the same as the US audio pkg), red seat belts, Porsche crest in headrests and floor mats.
Old 02-23-2007 | 07:08 PM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Bad news from Porsche Mexico. I will not be able to register the car in the US cause of the emissions configuration. Just got off the phone with the sales rep down at the dealer.
But still I'm going to keep it, at least untill I can order a US spec GT3. So hopefully It will arrive in town next week.
Old 02-23-2007 | 08:26 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

My friend just bought a Jetta GLI in mexico and he is bringing it to US...i guess ill see how that goes for him
Old 02-24-2007 | 09:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Welcome aboard! Nice choice on the color. Looks great.

As for the US v. MEX issue, do you really need to register it in the US? I mean seriously, I grew up in Laredo and SA, and the amount of cars with MEX plates was unreal. I don't see the problem with having it registered in MEX but residing in the US. Am I missing something here?
Old 02-24-2007 | 01:48 PM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Originally Posted by LVDell
Welcome aboard! Nice choice on the color. Looks great.

As for the US v. MEX issue, do you really need to register it in the US? I mean seriously, I grew up in Laredo and SA, and the amount of cars with MEX plates was unreal. I don't see the problem with having it registered in MEX but residing in the US. Am I missing something here?
The honest answer to that is Taxes.
By registering a car sold in Mexico in the US you no longer have to pay the Mexican yearly taxes which mean a 2.6% over the first 25k of the sticker and the remaining balance gets taxed at about 5%. I had an E46 M3 in Mexico city and the yearly taxes wher for about 3K a year.
So basically that was the main purpose about registering the Mexican car in the US.
Old 02-24-2007 | 04:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ouch! Thanks for the explanation. I pat about 1K a year in taxes for the GT3 here in North Carolina so I can understand you desire to get it plated in TX. I remember the yearly plate fee was all that was needed and the inspection. About $100 and you ar good.
Old 03-01-2007 | 05:53 PM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Originally Posted by LVDell
Ouch! Thanks for the explanation. I pat about 1K a year in taxes for the GT3 here in North Carolina so I can understand you desire to get it plated in TX. I remember the yearly plate fee was all that was needed and the inspection. About $100 and you ar good.
Yes for Texas you pay like $120 and emissions like $30 or something, I can't quite remember at this time.

Quick Reply: Introduction