Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS in Greenwich, CT

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default 997 GT3 RS in Greenwich, CT

Well, I saw my first 997 GT3 RS in Greenwich, CT today at the Porsche dealer. Of course, it is really great looking. The car was White with PCCB's, Sports Crono, Nav and probably more options. The car did not have the GT3 RS graphics. So, you pay 4K+ extra for the White paint and you have to pay extra for the graphics? Also, I did not see the tape on the center of the steering wheel -- it thought that was standard.

The car is so low especially with the RS splitter. That car will not make it into many parking lots without serious scrapes / stratches or removal of the splitter. So, besides the big carbon fiber rear wing which looks awesome and the part that hangs down from the front splitter the car looks similar to the 997 GT3.
Attached Images     
Old 02-19-2007, 06:42 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he went with the leather thicker steering wheeel, thats why no yellow tape.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:16 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the photographs.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:08 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car but how does one who own such a car, describes it to his buddies...... This is a FULLY LOADED track oriented "light" GT3 RS EDITION.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I am taking a guess that this car will never see the track unless it is for a parade lap. I was told the owner has many porsches including a Carrera GT. My other guess is this car is kind of another trophy for the case or in this case for the multiple car garage. On the other hand, maybe I will see this car at Limerock for a DE?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Alcantara wheel has the stripe.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Dear rodneyr,
Imagine my surprise when I went to the site last night (for the first time) and found pictures of my car at New Country Porsche...now imagine my disappointment at reading the following..."I am taking a guess that this car will never see the track unless it is for a parade lap. I was told that the owner has many other porsches including a Carrera GT. My other guess is that this car is kind of another trophy for the case or in this case another trophy for the multiple car garage. On the other hand, maybe I will see this car at Limerock for a DE?"
KInd of a snarky posting, don't you think? In point of fact, I'm much more of a conccours guy than a track guy, and have been involved in restoring 356's at the national level (with some success) for over a decade. Unlike some people, I do drive my cars, but I don't think less of those who don't.
As to the urge to drive on the track, I did drive in a Porsche track event at the Texas World Speedway in June '05. It was amazing to drive a CGT flat out, but in retrospect, it was a bit scarry when I got home and found the pictures of the wrecked CGT from California where the two gentlemen were killed in a Ferrari Club track event. Awful! Inasmuch as I have four children in school, it occurred to me that although I could control whether or not I did something stupid, I had no control over someone doing something stupid in front of me (which is what happened in California). That said, the RS is just too tempting not to try it on the track after the 2,000 mile break in period, so I do plan to show up at Lime Rock and see what it's like. If I do, please stop by and say hello. You'll recognize the car!
A friend of mine has been at Stuttgart over the last few days, and he reports that the factory is now offering the car in white with black graphics and black wheels, but not blue. As a traditionalist, I love the car in white/blue, so I'm having Automobile Associates in Canton, CT copy the black graphics in Riviera blue. They now have the pattern on the cadcam machine, so it should be easy for them to do it for others if there is an interest.
In addition, there is a new product that others may be interested in...It's called "Venture Shield", and is a better alternative to the 3M product for protecting the car on road and track. NO orange peal, no yellowing, and cut to fit. No affiliation, just experience with a good product. the old Armorglove installer located in New Canaan has the material.
Ray
'55 Speedster
'62 Twin Grille
'64 Carrera 2 Coupe
'07 GT3RS
Old 02-20-2007, 11:22 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RR
he went with the leather thicker steering wheeel, thats why no yellow tape.
It's interesting that most people still believe the "thick leather wheel" is thicker than the stock alcantra wheel.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Ray, welcome to rennlist. Please keep the pictures coming and don't mind the critics expressing an opinion. Problem is that for most folks the US spec RS is a disapointment from a pricing perspective - Great car nevertheless!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Minella
As a traditionalist, I love the car in white/blue, so I'm having Automobile Associates in Canton, CT copy the black graphics in Riviera blue. They now have the pattern on the cadcam machine, so it should be easy for them to do it for others if there is an interest.
Ray, if they have the pattern loaded, they can pretty much cut the vynil on any color. I wonder where can one find Riviera Blue vynil?

Personally, I think the Silver GT3 RS should have come with black wheels and black stripes, and the black GT3 RS should have come with red stripes.

Congratulations on a beautiful car. Thanks for the tip on the new clear-bra.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Default Graphics in colors

Hi! I'm having the graphics made by Jim Newton at Auto Associates in Canton, CT. Phone numberis 860-693-0278. No affiliation, just a decade long customer (and a loyal one, too).
Jim is quite involved in Porsche racing, and that is mostly what his shop does. There is a graphic designer in his building to whom he subcontracted the job.
Inasmuch as they do graphics on racecars all the time, it is quite easy to do. I bought a set of 997 RS black graphhics from my dealership, as well as the 996 RS graphics in Riviera blue. They scanned the black ones, and used the 996 graphics to get the color right. Inasmuch as it is all set up on the cadcam machine, I suspect it is easy to duplicate whatever color you would like.
Great guy. He won't steer you wrong.
Ray
Old 02-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 39 Posts

Ray,

Nice gracious first post on this thread!

It would have been easyfor this thread to go sideways, especially given the theorizing of the person who startred the thread.

Enjoy your RS in good health. Mine will be here in another 5 weeks (I hope!!!)

Rob
Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Minella
A friend of mine has been at Stuttgart over the last few days, and he reports that the factory is now offering the car in white with black graphics and black wheels,

nice car; enjoy! Can you or your friend confirm if the option quoted above will be or is now an option as stated, for US bound RS's?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:17 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Ray- us 996 guys are just jeaolous- and I am trying to find a way to justify moving up to a 997 3 or dream about the RS --but I cant get past my wife saying "no FU@KING WAY" (and she doesnt cuss)
and something about divorce court. But we are living through pics of your (and others) cars.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Default Graphics for white RS now available from the factory

Originally Posted by leif997
nice car; enjoy! Can you or your friend confirm if the option quoted above will be or is now an option as stated, for US bound RS's?
My pal was at the factory on Friday and over the weekend, and he said, after talking with the head of "special wishes", that the white car was now available with black graphics and black wheels. My friend is completely reliable, and I believe he has good information.

Ray
'07 RS

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS in Greenwich, CT