Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 with tire monitor on track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I'm sorry, but a tire with a defect like a "shredded interior" wouldn't be avoided with a TPMS... When the tire gives, it gives - until that point, the only indicator is possibly an out-of-round situation, which you would obviously feel. And in actual fact, you would FEEL a drop in tire pressure almost immediately, especially at high speeds - so the TPMS is pretty much useless to anyone who is paying attention while driving. imho
Oh dear

And you habitually drive at high speeds in a car with TPM? I can tell you there is a lot to monitor once speeds get above 180 mph, and deciding whether that vibration is caused by a malfitted body panel, or a wheel slightly out of wack, or a tyre beginning to destruct can be a judgement call. Is the wing flexing because of the vibrating wheel or because of the airflow? Do you need to slow down or not? In this situation a wheel pressure warning can be very helpful, indeed.

There has been a certain amount of empirical testing that shows that at high speeds a damaged tyre does begin to loose pressure and the warning is given, when the tyre still looks to be OK from the outside.

I have twice been warned when travelling at high speed and slowed to 150 mph, each time the tyre destructed and I was grateful that I had slowed from higher speeds and that it was a front tyre and not a rear tyre that had gone.

Everytime I have driven on US Freeways I have been struck by the number of destroyed tyre carcasses that litter the verges. Believe me, the US needs Tyre Pressure Monitoring, given its cheap tyre habit. However I expect the warnings to be ignored.

R+C
Old 06-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I have seen tire pressure control systems on F1 cars - very slick. They are set to the optimum pressure (for the day/track) and automatically bleed off excess pressure if there is a build up due to changing conditions. Very neat but very-very expensive.
Bob

You should see the systems in the Paris-Dakar cars, (and Baja buggies).

R+C
Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Robin - I design and build wireless data systems for a living. Did some work for Benetton back in the days before they banned two way telemetry and control. I swear the electronics cost more than the cars back then. Had we continued, the driver would be there only to pass and avoid unforseen obstacles! Every lap would be perfect and the aero config would be contiunually changing to suit the location and condition of the circuit. Full coverage of the Monaco circuit was an interesting challenge. It's better this way, the drivers count for something.

Best,
Note: edited to correct the spellng on Benetton as pointed out by Icon. If that was the only typo I am proud of myself since I was using a palm Treo at the time. Thanks Jeff.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:54 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

I fail to see why people get so uptight about these systems. Worsr case, if you get a false warning you are only 200 miles from fixing it when you stop for gas.

R+C
I don't think anyone is against a good system for TPMS. But too many false warnings will create a dangerous situation where all warnings get ignored. Boys, wolves, crying. You know the story.

From what I heard the current TPMS is not that good. I could be wrong.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:14 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear

And you habitually drive at high speeds in a car with TPM? I can tell you there is a lot to monitor once speeds get above 180 mph, and deciding whether that vibration is caused by a malfitted body panel, or a wheel slightly out of wack, or a tyre beginning to destruct can be a judgement call. Is the wing flexing because of the vibrating wheel or because of the airflow? Do you need to slow down or not? In this situation a wheel pressure warning can be very helpful, indeed.
haha - so there is actually a situation when the car starts vibrating at 180mph, and you DON'T slow down?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Andrei - the problem is that the system knows aboout whatever normal pressures you have "taught" it. There is a learning mode so if you like 32 lbs, it will learn that as normal. Now go to the track and bleed your tires down to 25 lbs to allow for heat and pressure build up. You get a warning light. I simply ignore it.

Best,
Old 06-15-2007, 05:41 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I suppose for the average soccer mom a TPMS might be helpful. I don't see it that way for sportscars, but to each his own. But for anyone who agrees that the government should mandate TPMS in cars, I hope you don't call yourself an American.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcar964
haha - so there is actually a situation when the car starts vibrating at 180mph, and you DON'T slow down?
When you get used to driving at speed you learn to distinguish between what you need to worry about and what has a rational reason for occurring. For example you would be surprised how often the bonnet distorts at speed and vibrates because the catch mechanism has not been perfectly aligned. You don't worry about this if you have inspected the mechanism and know that it wont fly loose.

R+C
Old 06-16-2007, 12:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
like what?
air bag warning light (race seats)
AWS
seat belt (harness)
Old 06-16-2007, 12:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Mooty, my dealer says he can turn off TPMS - I wonder if this is an artifact of the different software load for Canadian cars. Perhaps it is not allowed in the USA and legit (for now) here? When my 18 inch wheels show up I will know for sure because I did not buy the monitoring gizmos.

Best,
pls share TPMS killing algorithm when your new wheels arrive.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:14 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
are you sure, bob. did you turn off yours?
my dealer spend 3-4 hours, nope. .
I was told the same thing from local dealer... no can do on the 997's due to federal mandate.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:48 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
I was told the same thing from local dealer... no can do on the 997's due to federal mandate.
change the national personality - then you can disable the TPMS - and turn off those selfish thoughtless cheeps everytime you lock the car - its illegal in most countries

R+C
Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

change the national personality - then you can disable the TPMS - and turn off those selfish thoughtless cheeps everytime you lock the car - its illegal in most countries

R+C
Thanks... will give it a try.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

R+C
On many newer cars it can be done. In my Cayenne you can control the chirp when locking/unlocking and then number of doors opened by one press. All done in the menu by the driver. Before such things required a dealer visit.

You can also lodge a complaint against fog lights in perfectly clear weather. Apparently they think it provides better lighting of close up objects. What they forget is that they are driving too fast for that to matter. And the regular lights provide enough light. Even funnier are the doofuses with rear fog lights (Audi and Benz drivers).
Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When you get used to driving at speed you learn to distinguish between what you need to worry about and what has a rational reason for occurring. For example you would be surprised how often the bonnet distorts at speed and vibrates because the catch mechanism has not been perfectly aligned. You don't worry about this if you have inspected the mechanism and know that it wont fly loose.

R+C
That makes sense - but I still think a tire pressure change would be even more noticable at high speed, therefore making the TPMS redundant. Has anyone actually benefited from a TPMS in that situation? If so, I'd like to hear the story.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 with tire monitor on track?