Homelink Garage Door opener Added

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Homelink Garage Door opener Added

I added a Homelink garage door opener to my GT3 tonight. I sourced the switches from the dealership for about $40. As they are regular 997 parts, they snap into the upper console where the sunroof rocker and overhead lights are located. It is the same upper panel as in the 997. I purchased the Homelink module on eBay for $30. I found a great DIY write up complete with detailed pictures at http://ted.drain.googlepages.com/homelink_index.html. I had to figure out the pins on the factory switches and fabricate the connectors I wrapped the module in foam, the kind commonly used in R/C modeling to protect the receiver and batteries from vibration, and inserted it between the headliner and metal roof under the aforementioned panel. There was plenty of room and ready access to 12V power in the same area. No more contortions reaching into the side pocket or center console!

Lest you think this is the kind of mod I like, it isn't. I would much prefer something that added performance, reduced weight or increased driver involvement; however, carrying around that keychain opener was to much. Although I didn't weigh the completed project, I would estimate the weight to be less than a few ounces - certainly less than the remote I was carrying around!

Hank
Old 02-11-2007, 02:58 AM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. This, at least, offers an alternative for those who are disappointed that our 997 GT3s don't have this feature (in spite of the window sticker that says they do).

That said, I think I'll pass. I detest ebay, and the thought of having to modify a $110K car to get this basic feature disgusts me. Better the little transmitter clipped to the sun visor, a la 1970.

Regards.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Karl,

Out of curiosity, why do you hate eBay? I hear that a lot. I converted two 993s into RS or RSCS replicas, the most recent of which is written up in the February '07 edition of Excellence. I owned and raced a 996 GT3 Cup car. The point of saying that is I have a ton of spare parts that I no longer need or want to keep in my attic. Over the past couple of months I've been selling these parts on eBay. Perhaps I've been lucky, but it's been great. From time to time I had listed these items in the Rennlist Classifieds section. I got a lot of questions but no buyers. I think eBay is what it is. I wouldn't buy a Rolex watch or jewelry for my wife there. I wouldn't buy a car that was selling close to its market value there; but I would buy something that is no longer available or something that was of low enough dollar value that it didn't matter or even something so rare that it couldn't be purchased anywhere else. An example of the latter is this. In my racecars, I use a Racecam. Part of that system, in the old days, was a Sony GV-A500 Walkman recorder. There was TV module that you could clip to the unit a TGV-100 (I think that is the number). It is completely unobtainable. Guess what? I bought one new in the box on eBay.

There is no point to this diatribe, just curious.
Hank
Old 02-11-2007, 11:42 AM
pj1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Hank, it sounds like you did a clean install. Can you provide any pics and other details, such as the switch part numbers and wiring info?

Quick Reply: Homelink Garage Door opener Added