Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

C & D issues - 15 points cup holders, me likey, trunk space

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM
LastGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C & D issues - 15 points cup holders, me likey, trunk space

I just amazes me to read that last point by point comparison between "track cars" of the Z06, 997GT3 and Lotus Exige.

How does one actually justify awarding points for trunk space, etc for a track car? How about "desirability"?

I do not have time, but I know some posters have ample, to recreate the C/D report with a Coefficient of Hardcore Track Importance CHTI - (such as the trunk space which would be multilplied by 0 to give ita zero weight.)

One little thing that C/D failed to mention was the cost to upgrade the tranny and brakes of the Z06 to make it track worthy - 10-15K might do it - I would add a catagory for reliability - I wonder if any Z06 owners could give us a MTBF (Mean time between failures) report - say each track day is between 200-350 miles....I think the Z06 guys (and other owners who witness what I have been seeing) will have somee very real world points to add -

The problem is that issue and that report is incorrect - it was not track car report but a report on cars that might be used to carry slurpees and hogies to and from the track as the owners watch from behind the armco the other GT3's lapping the track for 6-8 hours without failure - what a joke.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

+1
Old 02-04-2007, 02:55 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an '06 Z06 which I tracked a lot last summer...you can see my thoughts here https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=326651&page=4.

Brief summary is that I had absolutely no issues with the tranny, motor, diff, or any other part of the car. The only problem with the brakes is that the stock pads that GM ships are not track pads. They actually held up fine for most of a track day, but at that point there was virtually no pad left (if I'd run the full day, there would have been no front pads left at all). Rock solid, fade-free stops, though, even with the stock pads. I've never been in any car that stops harder than the new Z. We'll see what the GT3 does when it gets here...should be a fun comparison.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:28 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Hi - how long were your track days because we have a lot of reports that that cannot finish the track day.

I am sitting on the fence on the Z06 until I hear it is bulletproof - Reports from Tremblant do not give it that sign off...yet.

The motor with dry sump seems great.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

I have yet to be at a trck day where at least 1 Z06 doesn't go home on a flat bed.
I like the Vette, but you get what you pay for.

Most people won't drive their GT3's to the extreme to see the benefit of the engineering that went into the GT3 verus that of the Z06. For a car that has an engine almost twice the size of the GT3 and gobs more torque and 85 more HP and weighs less, it doesn't run the track the way it's specs tell us it should.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LastGT3
Hi - how long were your track days because we have a lot of reports that that cannot finish the track day.
Generally all day....of that, on-track time is probably 2.5 - 3 hours.

There are a few other new Z06's that I saw at different events, and I don't know of any problems with any of them. I typically also run with several C6s and C5s, and C5 Z06s. I never saw any major problem with them either (i.e. that would require a flat bed, etc.). The only problems I remember seeing on any of the C5s were high oil temps on hot days (no oil cooler on the car), and a few guys that burned through brake pads and didn't have spares. The guys with the high oil temps would have to cut their session short (or go install an oil cooler!! ).

Again, this is based on my personal experience. Others may have run into problems. There are also a bunch of other makes that I run with, including a lot of Porsches, Lotuses (Loti??), BMWs, Audis, Mustangs, etc. And to be fair, I can only think of 4 or 5 cars that had major failures (not including failures induced by hitting something large and immovable!): a 993 that blew a motor, an older Camaro that blew a motor, a 240Z with some sort of engine failure, a 3-series BMW that broke a control arm, etc.

Good luck!

Collin
Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RR
Most people won't drive their GT3's to the extreme to see the benefit of the engineering that went into the GT3 verus that of the Z06. For a car that has an engine almost twice the size of the GT3 and gobs more torque and 85 more HP and weighs less, it doesn't run the track the way it's specs tell us it should.
I haven't driven a GT3 on track yet, so I can't tell you what the differences are. My plan/hope is to track both the Z06 and the GT3 heavily this year, so maybe by the end of the season I'll have some input. My gut instinct as to why the Z06 isn't quicker out of the box would be tires; stock Goodyear run-flats can't be compared to any of the R compound tires most of the Porsches are running.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:17 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Just read that test and as is usually the case C&D had the differential come down to some highly subjective criteria.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by allegretto
Just read that test and as is usually the case C&D had the differential come down to some highly subjective criteria.
For sure, subjective issues and price made a big difference...but you can't ignore the fact that the Z06 was turning slightly quicker lap times on run-flats vs R comps! The reliability is a concern, though.

Gary
Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by tdf360
For sure, subjective issues and price made a big difference...but you can't ignore the fact that the Z06 was turning slightly quicker lap times on run-flats vs R comps! The reliability is a concern, though.

Gary
Z06 doesn't come with that damn sunroof.

That is, if the roof stays attached.

Quick Reply: C & D issues - 15 points cup holders, me likey, trunk space