Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Your cup car looks sick!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:21 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trj
Your cup car looks sick!
That is not the inside of my cup. That is from the Recaro site. I have the same CF seat in mine. I need to take a pic of it.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grussell
I was also thinking about the DTM seat. What made it less comfortable for you?
fat *** Actually I am trying to find out if the XT seat from the Carrera GT will work in the GT3. That would give me an extra inch or so of seat width and would be more comfortable for street use and occasional track use.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
fat *** Actually I am trying to find out if the XT seat from the Carrera GT will work in the GT3. That would give me an extra inch or so of seat width and would be more comfortable for street use and occasional track use.
The CGT will fit. But what do they cost? And you'd need a pair to keep the car looking tidy.
Any shell will fit with some effort. I put the 996 GT3 seat in there, but it looks a bit odd (at least if you're accustomed to seeing that seat as the signature of the 996 GT3.) And sitting on the stock sliders, there wasn't enough headroom.
I put an old Pole Position in there (rather than scuff up a new HANS seat) just to see what it would be like. It's a crappy install using the BK adapters and heavy Recaro sliders, but it does get you down into the car very nicely, probably only two inches from the tub.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
JWGT2 you need to check the seats that james took some pix of at the LA autoshow.
Link, please?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The CGT will fit. But what do they cost? And you'd need a pair to keep the car looking tidy.
Any shell will fit with some effort. I put the 996 GT3 seat in there, but it looks a bit odd (at least if you're accustomed to seeing that seat as the signature of the 996 GT3.) And sitting on the stock sliders, there wasn't enough headroom.
I put an old Pole Position in there (rather than scuff up a new HANS seat) just to see what it would be like. It's a crappy install using the BK adapters and heavy Recaro sliders, but it does get you down into the car very nicely, probably only two inches from the tub.

I was looking at the Pole Positions today and they look like a good option. Are you saying that you dont feel that they can be properly installed?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apex Late
I was looking at the Pole Positions today and they look like a good option. Are you saying that you dont feel that they can be properly installed?
I have the Pole Position in the car now. It's easy enough. It's the first way I've had the car set up to create enough head room. I don't like the weight of the sliders and the adapter by BK is pretty feeble -- it bolts to the tub (in the conventional 996/997 positions) then it has some bolts in fixed positions which fit the Recaro sliders, which can be preassembled to the brackets and the given shell seat. A bit of a mess.

I hope to find some lightweight sliders that fit the 996/997 tub and work with any given shell seat give or take the right horizontal or vertical brackets etc.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

I have the Pole Position in the car now. It's easy enough. It's the first way I've had the car set up to create enough head room. I don't like the weight of the sliders and the adapter by BK is pretty feeble -- it bolts to the tub (in the conventional 996/997 positions) then it has some bolts in fixed positions which fit the Recaro sliders, which can be preassembled to the brackets and the given shell seat. A bit of a mess.

I hope to find some lightweight sliders that fit the 996/997 tub and work with any given shell seat give or take the right horizontal or vertical brackets etc.
Can the seats not be mounted to the stock sliders?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apex Late
Can the seats not be mounted to the stock sliders?
You mean Recaro or any given after-market seats mounted to the sliders of the 997 Sports seat -- that would be a problem -- but to the sliders on the 996 GT3 seat, that would work. But let's not try to build a spreadsheet.

The only fixed value is the attachment points to the 997 tub. To the tub, connects the adapter plates or the sliders directly. To the adapter plates or the sliders connect the seat brackets. To the brackets connect the seats. Shin bone connects to the knee bone.

In the simplest, lightest solution, the seat brackets would be cut and drilled to fit the tub and position the seat at the desired height and leg length. I've done this in a 993 and it's not a real inconvenience. Newer seat designs with wings or elephant ears and a HANS collar might make it less fun.

I wonder if the sliders on the factory 997 GT3 shell seat might solve some problems (if they're even available as a separate part.)
Old 02-01-2007, 05:25 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Pole Position in the car now. It's easy enough. It's the first way I've had the car set up to create enough head room. . .
How tall are you?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
How tall are you?
I'm a little over six foot. I'm a Capricorn.
I like walking along the beach and curling up with a good book ... : )

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Seat Options