Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:50 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
where did forbes get their figures?
they reported gross and not net?
your prediction doesnt state gross or net, how are we supposed to know what you mean?
they are obviously making money but unless pag were to give out detailed information this is nothing but wild speculation.
gt2 at 100% "margin". i don't think so. we havent even heard a price yet.
as mentioned they also make profits from other sources.
I am traveling and don't have the article so can't say where Forbes got the data, I doubt they made it up. they said gross margin as I recall

My prediction would be gross at the time of the articles writing. based on the concept that because of the shared content between the cars the 911 was cheaper to produce than a Boxster S at that time i.e. front suspension, front sheetmetal, dash, doors identical, engines are very similar, brakes identical, front suspension, gear cluster identical but configured for mid vs rear engine, etc and the complex top of the Boxster has to add a lot of cost. So I speculate the Boxster S of the time was cheaper to build than a 911 of the time.

I meant the GT2 of the time of the article as well. I view the last GT2 to be a decontented Turbo,no 4WD, many expensive features and trim removed with PCCB added and a few engine tweaks that are cheap to produce sold at an increase in price of around 50K dollars over the Turbo, so I figure the gross profit must have been around 100% on the last GT2 produced.

I agree this is just my wild speculation based on dissecting the content of the cars and relating its price to the Forbes claims.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I meant the GT2 of the time of the article as well. I view the last GT2 to be a decontented Turbo,no 4WD, many expensive features and trim removed with PCCB added and a few engine tweaks that are cheap to produce sold at an increase in price of around 50K dollars over the Turbo, so I figure the gross profit must have been around 100% on the last GT2 produced.
Interesting that so many people see it that way. When you really start working on developing the car, you discover that PAG have saved you a lot of work when you compare the GT2 to the TT.

Also interesting, given the costs and relatively low number of cars over which to recover development costs, the dealer's margin was cut back on this car, in Europe.

R+C
Old 01-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
PAG'S refusal to indulge in terminally stupid quarterly reporting is not based on a desire to hide information, but to avoid getting sucked into counter productive behaviour.

PAG has a much longer planning horizon than the average Wall Street analyst. A few year's ago, I spoke to the chairman of the company that invented the 'float' plate glass production process, which is now standard round the world. He pointed out that the only reason that Pilkington could develop the process was because the company was in private hands and the owners agreed to 100% reinvestment of profits in R+D until the process was perfected.

In actual fact, PAG's accounts, taken together with their other public disclosures paint a very clear picture of their operations, as any automotive analyst will point out. Of considerable interest is the amount of Development expenditure that is not eligible for capitalisation and subsequent amortisation against production. This is the 'innovation' account.

R+C
You are following the company line which is not surprising. My rebuttal is very simple. Many of not most great companies are listed on US stock exchanges. They have no problem with the disclosure requirements. Only those that have something to hide would run from the requirement of honest and straightforward sharing of information with shareholders and the public.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:17 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Nick,

It must hurt , but there is a world besides the US and Wallstreet. "honest and straightforward sharing" is easily pushed aside for good american capitalism aka greed,nothing wrong with that but your statement is hypocracy at it's best.............your coveted prancing horse status symbol would not be able to stand on there own feet without Marlboro, who share honestly and straighforwardly cancer with the rest of the world and maybe Ferrari can learn something from PAG as far as there dead fish Maserati is concerned.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick
You are following the company line which is not surprising. My rebuttal is very simple. Many of not most great companies are listed on US stock exchanges. They have no problem with the disclosure requirements. Only those that have something to hide would run from the requirement of honest and straightforward sharing of information with shareholders and the public.
Nick
You couldn't be further from the truth.

I am several kinds of CPA/CMA/ACA and in my youth passed the NASD's Principals' exam (long dark evenings). I have worked in Broking and Investment Banking around the world, quite often for US firms.

I have what is known as an informed opinion on this matter

Contrary to your assertation, US companies have major problems with quartlerly reporting and the cult of continuous growth, just look at how compliance costs have skied in recent years. All paid for by shareholders. And mostly illusory in terms of efficacy as the latest round of option issue dater juggling is exposing.

It takes a long time to bring new cars to market, the need to show continuous year on year growth, quarter by quarter can easily deflect a company from its long term goals. If you want to see what effect this cult has upon Auto makers, just look at Detroit, where they really do hold the customer in the utmost contempt!

Just look at PAG's share price performance oin the last few years, they are delivering great returns to their shareholders.

You argument is completely without merit, even the most cursory examination of the facts would reveal its total lack of merit.

Most US security law is based around the principle of trying to save foolish people from themselves. Despite years of observing, on a daily basis the fatuity of such a notion, the NEC and the legislators have filed to comprehend that point, you appear to be numbered amongst them.

R+C
Old 01-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

so I figure the gross profit must have been around 100% on the last GT2 produced
100% gross margin...only if it was made from air by nonunion leprechauns.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Jeff if I was a public company I would disclose.

R+C, is it your position that Porsche cannot be profitable and competitive if it had to meet disclosure requirement of US laws? Are you confusing the Sarbanes-Oxley requirements with exchange requirements?

Look I am well of the criticism that quarterly reporting tend to force companies to act short term and not long term. However, the evidence/facts are overwhelming that by having the requirement, companies have profited and so has the buying public. The US stock exchanges are at record levels and so are profits. With the majority of the public invested in the exchanges (401K, pension plans, mutual funds and so on) they are much better of. The relative security of where the company stands financially and looking forward is a boom to stock price and product confidence. Thus CEO's complaining about reporting is nothing more than being disingenuous.

The reason why Detroit is in deep trouble has nothing to do with reporting . They missed judged their customer and competitors.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
100% gross margin...only if it was made from air by nonunion leprechauns.
If you believe the Forbes magazine numbers that claim Porsche made 45% on a Turbo selling for $111,000.

To make GT2 take Turbo above and subtract 4 wheel drive, sunroof, rear leather seats, stereo system, retractable spoiler and other amenities.

Add PCCB, fixed fiberglas rear spoiler, swap out the suspension bits and add new ones mostly from GT3 with different spring and shock rates, add steel syncros to the gearbox, add new front valence and radiator ducting, change turbo and DME management. Sell for $160,000+

I can see 100% profit there even considering some development costs.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Nick
The point made by PAG management is that their business does not work on a quarterly cycle. That quarterly reporting would result in more unstability in the share price as analysts react to short term variations in profit at the expense of the long term trend.
R+C
Old 01-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

If you believe the Forbes magazine numbers that claim Porsche made 45% on a Turbo selling for $111,000.

To make GT2 take Turbo above and subtract 4 wheel drive, sunroof, rear leather seats, stereo system, retractable spoiler and other amenities.

Add PCCB, fixed fiberglas rear spoiler, swap out the suspension bits and add new ones mostly from GT3 with different spring and shock rates, add steel syncros to the gearbox, add new front valence and radiator ducting, change turbo and DME management. Sell for $160,000+

Holger

I am led to believe that if you strip the TT and GT2 engines down and examine the parts, you will find a number of significant differences between the components.
To quote you.....'different spring and shock rates'...... the cost of doing this is high, not so much in materials as in development time. So too with everything else with the need for hot and cold climate testing, enduranvce testing, regulatory approval and certification......
The margins on the car were lower than is the norm, hence the dealer margin was reduced, in the European market certainly I don't know about others.
To all those who bitch about Porsche overcharging, consider this, quattro GmbH charge me more than PAG does to build me exclusive interiors.

R+C
Old 01-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Can we all agree Porsche makes about four times the profit per car than any other car manufacturer in the world? Reasons for this unusually high profit margin compare to industry average are only known to Porsche.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not disputing your assertion about the higher profitability of the GT2, although I agree with others that you're ignoring a lot of ancillary costs that may not make this true.

It's your semantics that don't work. Gross profit equals selling price (from PAG to the dealers in this case) less cost of goods sold. To get 100% gross profit, COGS would have to be zero (materials, labor, etc). You seem to be referring to incremental margin. (I'm a finance guy, so I can't let it slide... )
Old 01-28-2007, 04:03 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Forbes should get their facts straight..............the Boxster S did not have a base of 51600 in the US.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Before anybody wets their pants so that anybody else can smell them. Remember that that the hire companies traditionally buy their cars at a 40% discount. The only way this is sustsainable is if this is above the variable cost per unit.

R+C
Old 01-28-2007, 08:42 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Before anybody wets their pants so that anybody else can smell them. Remember that that the hire companies traditionally buy their cars at a 40% discount. The only way this is sustsainable is if this is above the variable cost per unit.

R+C
"hire companies"
can you translate this into hairy southern primate english? consultant? . . . vendor? . . . racer?
is the 40% pertaining to pag only? 40% off which price?
if so how does this compare to other oem's "hire companies" discounts?
dealers don't get that high of a discount for personal purchases in the u.s.
edit: after googling it looks like you are referring to what we hairy southern primates refer to as "car rental companies"!?

Quick Reply: Porsche's average profit per vechile = $28,000