Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New wheels for the 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wheels can be ordered to fit TPMS senders -- which I guess boils down to just a slightly larger diameter hole for the stem assembly. Maybe they balance them to accommodate the weight of the sender too? (That's a little optimistic, but maybe.)

There's another thread here somewhere with the part numbers to buy a second set.
Apparently there's a learning period while the system re-calibrates after a wheel change.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex GT
I agree with the HRE look! Much better looking from my perspective. Looks like you are enjoying the sun roof. Sorry couldn't resist.
No need to be sorry. I love my sun roof. Nothing better then driving down HWY-1 with the sun roof open and listening to the sweet sound the car makes at 8400 rpm.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khaug
Yeah, specs, specs, quick, I'm drooling!
The wheels are custom built just for the 997 GT3 by HRE. same size as stock, 12" rear & 8.5" front x 19". With a nice deep lip on the rears. Three piece, polished outer lips with brushed, clear coated centers. They are from the competition series, c 21's. If you need more information call Alex at Sharkwerks. He's the man!!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For $7k I personally would have taken PCCB and saved more weight while improving braking...
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Snowboarder54 - Thanks for the education. A picture is worth a thousand words after all. Your wheels look great.

Hank
Old 01-23-2007, 11:04 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks real good...congrats!!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you using spacers? the fronts fill the wells better than stock. Love it. But for 7 large, I'll keep mine stock. If I did have the $ I'd go for yours. Beautiful, nicer than stock.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:03 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Snowboarder - they're beautiful wheels and enjoy them. HOWEVER, if they are designed with a reverse lip...be very, very careful driving in rain/wet conditions. Water gets caught in the wheels and throws the car severely out of balance at speeds as low as 70 mph. Ask me how I know...
Old 01-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Snowboarder - they're beautiful wheels and enjoy them. HOWEVER, if they are designed with a reverse lip...be very, very careful driving in rain/wet conditions. Water gets caught in the wheels and throws the car severely out of balance at speeds as low as 70 mph. Ask me how I know...
I have similiar wheels on the 05 997S, but they are Kinesis, and have not had a problem in the rain. Would you like to elaborate?

PS. I had 82" of rain here last season!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I have similiar wheels on the 05 997S, but they are Kinesis, and have not had a problem in the rain. Would you like to elaborate?

PS. I had 82" of rain here last season!!!
I had the HRE 840s witha reverse lip in the rim. A few times while driving in moderate rain water would collect inside the rims resulting in loss of balance...like the car would shudder...~ 70 mph. At one point it got so bad that I almost lost control...and this was in my Turbo S, an awd.

HRE refused to even have a conversation about this. No, this is not a gripe against HRE but just a "heads up". Eventually I just gave away the wheels...they were pretty and cost $6.5k but I sure as hell wasn't gonna drive on them.

Check out the 996 Turbo forum...there should be a couple of threads there that document the experiences of others with reverse lip designs. Cheers!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:02 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!! Love the HRE C21s. The brushed centers are almost a perfect match for your car, too....at least in the pictures.

Last edited by cobrien; 01-26-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

I had the HRE 840s witha reverse lip in the rim. A few times while driving in moderate rain water would collect inside the rims resulting in loss of balance...like the car would shudder...~ 70 mph. At one point it got so bad that I almost lost control...and this was in my Turbo S, an awd.

HRE refused to even have a conversation about this. No, this is not a gripe against HRE but just a "heads up". Eventually I just gave away the wheels...they were pretty and cost $6.5k but I sure as hell wasn't gonna drive on them.

Check out the 996 Turbo forum...there should be a couple of threads there that document the experiences of others with reverse lip designs. Cheers!

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:32 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

I had the HRE 840s witha reverse lip in the rim. A few times while driving in moderate rain water would collect inside the rims resulting in loss of balance...like the car would shudder...~ 70 mph.
I can also attest to this. I bought the HRE 845R wheels for my vette, wasn't ever told that their reverse lip design holds water. The inner rim hoop has a step in it to make room for the hardware that attach the 3 pieces together. Water will collect there, & at speed will put your wheels out of balance.

You end up having to pull off at the next exit & make a few circles clockwise & counter-clockwise to sling the water out.

I'll never buy a reverse lip wheel again.

BTW, the wheels above do not have the reverse lip & are good to go. They look nice.

I need to take some pics with the new Champion Motorsport RG5's.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

i hope they are not reverse lip. those are absolutely useless in rain. unbalanced and deadly. this is true for ALL reverse lips. i dont understand why so many manufacturers made reverse lips.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 PM
craigsduc
Instructor

Reminds me of the GT2 with Champion RS 98,s (18,s) I owned. Just put the RS 98,s on the new blk tt (this time in 19,s of course). Silver center wheels with polished lips seem to work on many cars!...................Congrats on the GT3! Can,t wait for the RS ( May build ) I plan on putting the RS 98,s on the RS when it arrives and selling the tt with a set of stock 07 tt rims/tires. I,ll have the stock RS rims painted matt black and use them for the street.............Champions for the track.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New wheels for the 3