Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MPSC - Cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 AM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MPSC - Cold weather

Hi all. My GT3 arrived Monday in a snowstorm. Temps here (Michigan) are in the mid-30s F or less.

My car came with MPSCs. How scary should I regard these tires, which have a reputation for no grip unless warmed up, for street driving?

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:26 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Below 45 degrees F, I would be very, very careful, and drive it like I didn't steal it.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I wouldn't drive the MPSCs in winter. No ifs, ands or buts.

Buy some winter tyres, for the temperature range you live in.

Typically, I use Dunlop or Yoko Winter AVS whilst there is snow/ice around, Cnntinental Sport Contact 2 for spring and Autumn(Fall) and use the MPSCs in summer.

When you buy a new car in Europe, you can order winter wheels and tyres at about half normal retail.

R+C
PS - if you take the car out on the tyres supplied, and end up sliding into the Detroit River, you couild always sue PCNA and the dealer for supplyxing tyres which are 'not fit for purpose'.
PPS - if you had an accident in winter in Germany and were driving PSCs, there would be a presumption of fault on your part.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Mad Manx
Instructor

The latest MPSCs are pretty good, and intended for regular road use.

If it's cold but dry, then you should be fine once the heat has built up.

Even in wet condtions they are impressive, with no problems so far. You just need to be sensible

They come with a touch over 5mm, and their wet performance is claimed to be the same as PS2s with the same tread depth. Obviously they will wear faster so the disclaimers about aquaplaining will become more relevant as the tread depth reduces.

Can't comment on snow, we haven't had any yet, but going to Obertauern in Austria next month to do some snow and ice driving with Porsche (using their cars not mine).
Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mad Manx
The latest MPSCs are pretty good, and intended for regular road use.

If it's cold but dry, then you should be fine once the heat has built up.
Michegan gets cold winters like you wouldn't believe, colder than central Europe! You never get to go fast enough to get heat into the tyres because there is snow and ice around everywhere.

The MPSCs are not intended as a winter tyre.

R+C
Old 01-10-2007, 09:50 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

I driven MPSCs in all kinds of weather. As stated earlier, if it is dry, they are not that bad even in the cold (well, at least down to ~30F). But if it gets wet & cold, they suck quite badly. Trying to drive them in the snow would be asking for trouble. So if you intend to drive your car all winter, do as Robin said and buy a 2nd set of tires/rims.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Of course, when the weather is really bad the GT3 would be left in a nice warm garage. Surely it's better to have a winter car rather than winter tyres.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Well my neighbour's winter car is a Lamborghini Gallardo.

Modern Winter tyres are surprisingly good, I have ones rated at 240 kph and 270 kph. I t is important to certain of your termperature range. So living in Mitteleuropa I select a range of -15° to +15° Celcius, other places might need to go much colder. One should also consider the lowest maximum speed one finds acceptable. The lower the rated speed of the tyre the more sipes, the more sipes the better it is in serious snow and ice. In most winters, Munich has quite wintery conditions, being at almost 2,000 ft, we need winter tyres, but not when we ger down to Italy or the Rhine valley, so a high speed rating is appreciated then.
R+C

Quick Reply: MPSC - Cold weather