Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

resale value of RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I don't care if my GT3 is only worth $1 tomorrow, the satisfaction that car gives me is priceless and worth every penny the car cost me.
I know it's become popular in marque chatrooms to make statements like this, but frankly I think it's a ridiculous attitude (no offense intended). With any car, potential depreciation should be considered and factored in to the decision-making process. Would you really not, for example, switch to Lambo or Ferrari if the difference in total cost of ownership was, say, $50,000 per year cheaper than Porsche could offer?

Gary
Old 01-05-2007, 07:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by tdf360
Would you really not, for example, switch to Lambo or Ferrari if the difference in total cost of ownership was, say, $50,000 per year cheaper than Porsche could offer?

Gary
makes sense, gary.
now if i can just stop tracking so much OR if my lottery number gets called and i can afford to track 40 days on a 430, i will hit you up on some ferrari connections.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it's become popular in marque chatrooms to make statements like this, but frankly I think it's a ridiculous attitude (no offense intended). With any car, potential depreciation should be considered and factored in to the decision-making process. Would you really not, for example, switch to Lambo or Ferrari if the difference in total cost of ownership was, say, $50,000 per year cheaper than Porsche could offer?

Gary
Gary, no offense intended here either...but anyone buying the RS and worrying about resale is buying it for the wrong reasons. Akin to worrying about alimony even before marrying the woman of your dreams. The underlying premise is wrongheaded, IMO.

As to future value...who the heck knows??? Since most of these cars are likely to be tracked chances are quite a few would kiss a tire wall or armco. Whats' the value then?

As another poster said, the joy of owning/driving an RS ought to be priceless...that should be the only criteria for buying this car
Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
I think everyone is knocking the car before they drive it.
Not knocking the car at all...it's a fantastic machine...that's why we hang around here and talk about it. Just being realistic regarding future value.

Unfortunately, great 'ring lap times don't make the car any more collectable.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

I know it's become popular in marque chatrooms to make statements like this, but frankly I think it's a ridiculous attitude (no offense intended). With any car, potential depreciation should be considered and factored in to the decision-making process.
I agree completely.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 589 Posts

If you want return on investment skip on this car (or any other Porsche for that mater). You can get 20% (or more) annually with the right investments of cash, but not on a car.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:35 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RR
I think everyone is knocking the car before they drive it.
FWIW, the day that Rohrl set the 7:42 with the 997GT3RS at the ring, he did it on a public track (track was not closed), and having to pass 5 cars on route. On the same day he did not drive the 997GT3 but he did do a lap in a Carerra GT and he "only" logged a 7:37. Considering his fastest time at the ring on a closed course with the GT was 7:32, he says the RS will do a 7:39. pretty remarkable feat I think.
Obviously the car is too much for probably any of us, but so was the GT.

there are a few tests out on the RS already. all the state the car is not worth the money if you look at it from a strictly performance increase from the GT3. it is worth it for the emotions and look the car has.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:48 PM
gete3
Instructor

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
there are a few tests out on the RS already. all the state the car is not worth the money if you look at it from a strictly performance increase from the GT3. it is worth it for the emotions and look the car has.
Warm and fuzzy feelings from orange paint, a wider track and stickers are well worth the premium for RS lovers. But not for for sensible types who appreciate value.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Originally Posted by Marv
If you want return on investment skip on this car (or any other Porsche for that mater). You can get 20% (or more) annually with the right investments of cash, but not on a car.
Give me some leads....

Old 01-05-2007, 08:12 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Based upon the low production numbers the RS should hold value unless Porsche obsoletes it with technology like an '08 with PDK and a 3.8...which what they should have done in the first place.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Just curious. If you don't even have your car yet, why are you already worried about resale and depreciation? I don't care if my GT3 is only worth $1 tomorrow, the satisfaction that car gives me is priceless and worth every penny the car cost me.
I got a dollar. Trade ya.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:12 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Gary, no offense intended here either...but anyone buying the RS and worrying about resale is buying it for the wrong reasons.
I didn't get the impression he was buying it for its low resale, he just wondered what the group-think was on the possibilities...that was my take anyway. I know I always do an internal guess - projection - hope - kind of analysis before I buy any car. I must say I would probably not be a buyer if I thought it would lose $20k or more in the first couple of years, like the Turbo and GT2 seem to have done in the past. Too many other options. On the other hand, if you have unlimited funds and truly don't care what happens to the value of the car, more power to you.

Gary
Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't get the impression he was buying it for its low resale, he just wondered what the group-think was on the possibilities...that was my take anyway. I know I always do an internal guess - projection - hope - kind of analysis before I buy any car. I must say I would probably not be a buyer if I thought it would lose $20k or more in the first couple of years, like the Turbo and GT2 seem to have done in the past. Too many other options. On the other hand, if you have unlimited funds and truly don't care what happens to the value of the car, more power to you.

Gary
The RS is for most a track toy. And anyone who is consistently going to track this car, and not know that there's a serious probability of wadding it, is to the say the least deluding himself. That alone should rule out any buyers not accepting of a $20k loss in resale value. Guys who are buying the RS are likely not concerned about depreciation...that is a given. Those who are shouldn't.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:29 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Marv
Marv, help a brudda out! If I could get in on that action, you can have my GT3 spot. . . hell I'll buy yah an RS spot.

Originally Posted by JJayB
Based upon the low production numbers the RS should hold value unless Porsche obsoletes it with technology like an '08 with PDK and a 3.8...which what they should have done in the first place.
I wouldn't call PDK a displacing technology. SMG, F1, PDK, etc. . . . I like three pedal cars and the feel of rowing through the gears. I know this issue is like religion, but for sheer driving enjoyment, hard to beat old school.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I still think the 997 GT3 RS is a bargain (for Porsche standards). A wide body, A/C delete, CF big wing, Arrest Me Orange for $125k (brand new in 2007). My low option 996 GT3 was $110k back in 2004, and compared to the 997 GT3 RS (stock vs. stock) the RS justifies the $15k.

It will depreciate. If a car runs at the track, potential buyers stay away from it unless you sell cheap. Plenty of RS will be at the track. I don't think is more special than the 996 GT2 (a real GT2 in all sense), and with less than 300 in U.S. the GT2 keeps depreciating.

By the way, I'm looking for the following, any info is really appreciated:

997 GT3 RS Orange PCCB (any year), with CGT Carbon seats, factory rollbar, factory harness, A/C delete and Xenons. No more than 10,000 miles. No more than $95k. Thanks.

Quick Reply: resale value of RS