Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS prices over sticker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:54 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
Over MSRP is money lost. No problem with that. If you want it and can not wait then get it If I was getting one and someone offered me $20K I would sell it in a second. I would then wait an buy another at MSRP or a used one
That is correct.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimhuber
Sales 101 - think long term...

That is funny because in sales today is all that you really have. With as much moving around that people do: Bankers, brokers, agents, reps, sales managers, CEO's, it is hard today to build on another person long term due to the gone tomorrow, grass is more green world.

Never ceases to amaze me, this is the same crap when the 996 turbo came out, cgt, 996gt3. Now look at the prices.

It should not amaze you. You know that the hot thing sells. You know that people are after the most new thing. Combine this with a total lack of forward thinking. Fact, most households do not have a first aid kit. I am sure that the prices that this RS will bring will be higher than anyone will think. I put my deposit down over 18 months ago and am my car is the only one that my dealer will get. In this case it is either you put down a deposit in thinking that the car will be made due to research and a guess, or you want one and are a day late and do not want to spend the dollar short. The dealerships that are selling the cars for market price will inflate the price and will keep the cost up. I am thinking that no more will be made after the 229 because it is used to develop the RSR to the racing body. Also with the EPA, and DOT, you will see direct injection and other safty items that will make this car a keeper. Last year was the last year a carb could be ordered for a Harley, not all injected. It is all about the drive and ownership of the car. This car will always be a RS and no matter what you do to a GT 3 it will be a GT 3. And if you butcher the GT 3 then it will have no resale. People in the last two weeks have changed idea on value of this car. In simple this car rocks and if you do not think so or are bashing the value of the car both money and icon then you must not have a spot. I myself can not wait to see the auctions start, because then we will know the money and who will buy the car. BTW I am back.
Just a truck load of speculations jimbo!!

Yes same thing happened to viper, ford GT, CGT and lately the shelby GT 500 but guess what, all these cars came in huge quantity the following year just like the GT 500 will next year. And all who spent over MSRP to get one first, are pretty discrete about it today and will never cut their loss. What makes you think the new RS will be any different ?

If your tired of people criticizing you, stop writing the same thing over and over at every occasion you get. We know your position on the subject, now can you tell us something we don't know about the car!!
Old 01-07-2007, 02:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

oh man, i just dont get it.
ALL cars depreciate. even enzo, mc claren, duesenberug (sp), bugatti royale.... in the short term.
and just for the moment assume that RS will become collectable, that's not happening until 2022 (15yrs later). you really gonna keep this thing that long? and to appreciate in value, you can probalby only put 1000 miles on it evey year. why?!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:00 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
Just a truck load of speculations jimbo!!
now can you tell us something we don't know about the car!!
Jimbo, Jimbo, Jimbo ......
Old 01-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I am thinking that no more will be made after the 229 because it is used to develop the RSR to the racing body.
You may be right, but everything I have read has indicated the car will be made in 2008.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Max Power
Racer

I am sure that the prices that this RS will bring will be higher than anyone will think.
If you are getting one, and not selling it, why do the prices matter?

or by "this RS" do you mean yours?

If I had an allocation, I'd be obsessing over driving it, not over how much it could or will sell for.

I am thinking that no more will be made after the 229 because it is used to develop the RSR to the racing body.
Why do you think only 229? Inside information, or wishful thinking? Everyone here (for the most part) wishes that enough RSs are made so that everyone here on this list that wants one can get one.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Max Power
If I had an allocation, I'd be obsessing over driving it, not over how much it could or will sell for.
Exactly
Old 01-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure that the prices that this RS will bring will be higher than anyone will think. .......People in the last two weeks have changed idea on value of this car. In simple this car rocks and if you do not think so or are bashing the value of the car both money and icon then you must not have a spot. I myself can not wait to see the auctions start, because then we will know the money and who will buy the car.
Jim- still sounds suspiciously like your own personal Porsche "pump & dump".
Old 01-09-2007, 01:34 AM
craigsduc
Instructor

Originally Posted by krC2S
i know of a car that went for 20k over

my biggest objection to that, if you really think it's worth it, is that it will not be even worht MSRP in less than a year ( will depreciate) unlike ferraris
Here we go again..................someone who still hasnt figured out Ferraris depreciate just like the rest of them....................actually more than many. I would hate to have a red 355 or 360 for sale right now.......OUCH!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:02 AM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by craigsduc
Here we go again..................someone who still hasnt figured out Ferraris depreciate just like the rest of them....................actually more than many. I would hate to have a red 355 or 360 for sale right now.......OUCH!
i do know that they EVENTUALLY depreciate but not like porsche

buy a 430 (or 360 a couple of years ago) at MSRP or even a small markup you can sell it at profit a year or even two later

can you say same about p-cars in the US?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:38 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

.... but my understanding is that if you do that (buy at MSRP) you are on a "list" that you will no longer have access to come the next model if you do not sell it back to the dealer say at MSRP (or less) So you will have a cost, if nothing else, then the cost of parking a substantial amount of green! In addition, in order to get on the "list" you most likely had to buy a car for a premium (and then lost it at trade in) or buy other cars that have depreciated substantially (such as maserati)
. So any way you slice it, you are still paying "the man"

My 0.02 is market price is just that. The companies have to make educated guesses as to what level to set MSRP, but it is just a guide. And, as with most things, if you want it "now" then you will have to "pay the offer" and that may well be over MSRP.

Mario (also a waiter for the GT3RS)
Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 PM
frayed
Race Car

ferraris are tricky. you can buy them and flip them for a modest loss, except that you cannot drive them, can't have any scratches or flaws, and have to have your maintenance records up to date, which on a 360 requires a $5k service at year three. eeek.

in addition, I think folks are comparing dealer prices. in reality, when you go to sell your F430 or Modena 360, dealers get quite a bit more than private parties, as the buyers of these cars are *very* particular and tend to be paranoid of private sellers (my experience selling my 360). Accordingly, selling it on your own won't get you much more than wholesale, and in the end, I sold my car wholesale so I didn't have to deal with all fuggin tire kickers out there chewing my time.

True story:

The guy who committed to buy my 360 then backed out last minute, found the car on ebay being sold by an independent high end car dealer. Now looks like he may buy it (he emailed me). It's the same godamn car, but now with Armor All all over the engine compartment, and he'll pay more than what he was going to buy it from me! Bleh.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:19 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

I agree, very frustrating. I abandoned any though of a 430 or even worse a 599! I bought the "old model" (575) and just bide my time until the newer models come out and push down older model prices
Old 01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had an awful experience with my 550 Maranello. Paid $150K with 15K miles and put about $20K in maintnenance (motor mounts shot, oil leaks, clutch, yada yada) and then sold it 18 months later with 23K miles for about $110K.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:27 AM
PoorBobbie
Intermediate

997 gt3rs, April build/June delivery no breaks but do have deposit and contract at MSRP, Mckenna is will to sell a slot at $50k over sticker. Nice Guys!!!

Quick Reply: RS prices over sticker?