Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts

Can please you post some larger pics?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the black wheel option code, and is it the same for the regular 997 GT3?
Old 12-20-2006, 06:45 AM
PSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I enlarge the photos - limited to 140KB on this Board?

Re colour schemes, I've reached the following conclusions.

Best colour for looking absolutely stunning is orange but most people will think you a flash git.

Black or silver with orange wheels will attract nearly as much animosity as the ***** out orange paint but won't look so good. Best go for orange paint and atleast have the best looking RS.

Silver wheels look a dogs dinner on silver/black RS's with orange mirrors/decals etc. The orange mirrors/fins too dominant. IMO black wheels make the car look meaner which is in character. Silver wheels like Bruce Willis in pink vest.

The all silver RS from GT3SM looks/is very classy but maybe does not do the car justice. When my car was returned to me, coming up the drive it looked amazing. You're overloaded by all the detail with eyes switching from orange roll cage, the racing seats, the decals, the door mirrors, the orange fins and the black wheels which seem to bulge out the wheel arches and make car wider. Bottom line is it looks gob smacking and whilst I'm naturally a shy, retiring sort, this is how an RS should be.

So that leaves black, orange, green or white with black wheels.

Green generally unpopular and suspect this would hit resale value.

White not available when I specced mine. Would have been tempted but nearly as flash as the orange. I think the orange mirrors/fins on my black car make it look 'special' and as though I had no choice. But with orange or white, I suspect many people who don't appreciate our limited choice may think 'flash git, why did he choose such a flash colour'.

So to sum up I'm happy with my Goldilocks compromise because not sure I could live with orange or white. But will always be tempted....

Last edited by PSC; 12-20-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 AM
peachboy
Racer

Looks awesome but as a comparision if someone has better Photoshop skills than me I'd like to see the same car but changing all the orange for Silver or grey ??
Old 12-20-2006, 03:43 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

paul, since you are not online i will go ahead and post these for you.
hope it's OK?

Old 12-20-2006, 04:39 PM
JFT
Instructor

Looks really good, but I prefer the orange wheels. I was planning to do exactly the same thing with my RS - and also remove the orange sidestripes, orange sideplates and mirros - for an all black look. Now I have fallen in love with my car just like it is from the factory - photo below from last week in chilly and dark Sweden!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:27 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by mbergeron
Looks awesome but as a comparision if someone has better Photoshop skills than me I'd like to see the same car but changing all the orange for Silver or grey ??
Here is what ours will look like after the orange is replaced.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2006, 06:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,813 Likes on 2,382 Posts

you are killing me.
now i like black too.
orange or black or white or silver.....
Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 AM
PSC
Instructor

Thanks Jeff.

There is an RS for sale at £105K - black with silver wheels. A few photos:

http://www.camtune.com/CarSales.aspx?StockID=487

IMO another reason black wheels look better than silver on black car is that the 997 RS does not fill out its wheel arches like the 996 GT3.

I know the 997 has 19" wheels versus 18" 996 but the 996 sits lower with top of wheel arch just above tyre.

The 997GT3 has about an inch of clearance and therefore does not look as low slung.

The silver wheels accentuate this 'on stilts' look. The black wheels disguise it and make car look lower/meaner.

I would imagine the orange wheels have same effect as silver, highlighting the 'small' wheels in large wheel arches.

With my car and silver wheels, I was always conscious of gap from top tyre to wheel arch. Never notice it with black wheels.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:08 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone have a side by GT3 and GT3RS rear end shot. I'd like to see how much wide the RS looks compared to the non-RS.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:22 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet the car would look great with the black wheels but all the other parts in either red or yellow. I'd definately have the calipers done to match either way.....or just paint the calipers orange and call it a day. Wouldn't kick it out of my garage in any color combo!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:31 PM
peachboy
Racer

Black with Slver decalcs or no decalcs at all looks just awesome.

Quick Reply: Black RS with black wheels